So finster die Nacht by John Ajvide…

So finster die Nacht (original 2004; edition 2008)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Info:Lübbe (2008), Paperback
Collections:2013, 2010
Rating:*
Tags:Januar 2013

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2004)

English (164)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (178)
Yes, I saw the movie first. That is, I saw the Sweedish film first, then the American remake (preferred the original), then I finally read the book. I loved the movie, therefore I was wary of the novel since one tends to be better than the other. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and found that it enhanced and fleshed out the characters and story lines that I already knew from the films. I recommend reading the book and seeing the films (at least the original). This is one of the rare instances in which I don't think it matters which you do first. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
Don’t you hate it when you come across a book that piques your interest, has great reviews and was even turned into a pretty decent movie, only to be crushed by disappointment? That’s how it went with Let the Right One In. Years ago I watched the Swedish version of the movie and quite liked it. It had a suppressed creepiness that seemed to be passe in this new world of sparkly vampires who run speakeasies. Or whatever. It had a tight storyline of tormented boy meets supernatural girl who avenges him by visiting her blood sucking ways upon his enemies. No doubt the screenwriter read the book, but he or she ought to be credited for basically writing a whole new story out of the hints and possibilities of what Lindqvist managed to come up with. Talk about missing a great opportunity. There was so much potential wasted.

Instead we’ve got a book that’s far too long, with pages, pages and pages of narrative taken up by people and events unimportant. Over and over we see Oskar beset by bullies and only once, once, does he have the temerity to do anything about it. The severity of the attacks escalates nicely with the final scene quite harrowing indeed, but by then we’re so anxious for the whole thing to be over that it barely matters when Eli swans in on a rope or whatever and saves the day. Despite many, many scenes of violence and horror rendered with careful and precise language, this final episode gets the equivalent of a pastel wash in watercolors. What? NOW you’re leaving things up to our imaginations? Just when we want solid pay off for trudging through your endless descriptions of drunks, paranoia, schoolyard bullies, weekends with dad, glue sniffing, meaningless inner monologues and torture scenes?

OMG what a mess. There are so many needless story threads that don’t really connect up to anything. There’s very little import to Virginia’s awful plight other than describing the transformation from human to vampire, which could have been done with the “mind-meld” Eli does to Oskar. Ditto with what happens to Hakan. I mean, what was that all about? So we could have a nice little pedophile anal rape scene with a zombie and a vampire? I guess that was it. And how about Tommy’s whole “I hate my mom’s boyfriend” schtick? Yawn.

This endless repetition blunted the novel’s strongest feature; the complex relationships and emotional lives of the characters (I just wish there were fewer of them because most of them don’t matter at all). Everyone is an agonized soul. No one is happy, fulfilled or even just doing ok. Nope. Everyone is miserable so that by comparison, Eli seems well-adjusted. Sweden needs antidepressants in the water, never mind fluoride. ( )
1 vote Bookmarque | Dec 12, 2014 |
I watched the original movie adaptation when it first came out years ago, so I didn't remember much save for the main characters being children and that it took place in Sweden.

Mmmm... this novel was really, really long. I listened to it as an audiobook, and I love listening to long books (40+) hours in the car. At 17 or so hours, this felt like it took FOREVER. There are a lot of subplots that are completely unnecessary. I liked the Eli/Oskar parts a lot, so it was tough when the story ventured away to a subplot about the friends of one of Eli's victims (this is a very long subplot, and eventually splits into different character subplots near the end), how his neighbor's mother is in a new relationship, how the school bully has a bad life, et cetera. There's a lot of that, and some of it could have been omitted.

I also didn't realize pedophilia was one of the evil themes, and that was a huge problem for me. There's a weird pedophilia network in the present, and then a rather terrible story from Eli's past as well. I kept hoping I had come to the last of it, but then there'd be a little more. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a high tolerance, but it's interesting that it was used to balance out the fact that Eli was a murderer ("Well, Eli does kill people, but she is also constantly tortured by CHILD MOLESTERS" is kind of a weird theme for me).

I liked the nuts and bolts of the story, though. Lindqvist is great at the scary stuff, and there's a wonderful air of menace and dread hanging over everything. The setting is also perfect, as I imagined almost every scene taking place in the cold and dark.

I also liked all the extra details about Oskar. The scene with his bullying that opens the novel is heartbreaking, and I liked seeing him gain confidence as things progressed. ( )
  ConnieJo | Nov 30, 2014 |
I very much liked this tale.
I liked that a child takes center stage. I liked viewing the world through his eyes.
I liked that it has a contemporary setting.
I liked the vampire(s).
I liked the given explanation for what vampirism is. I liked the warning signal to look out for. Such useful creatures, cats.
I liked the writing style. There's doom and gloom just around the corner on almost every page.
The only thing I did not like was the more or less open / untold ending. ( )
  Bluerabella | Oct 29, 2014 |
Is there any point at all in anything that happens in this horrible book?

EDIT: I think the best description I can come up with for it is it's like a crap Wasp Factory that's about four times as long. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.
Blackberg.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
The earth shall drink his blood.

Let the Right One In Takes Top Honors at Tribeca Film Festival!

It is autumn 1981 when the inconceivable comes to Blackeberg, a suburb in Sweden. The body of a teenage boy is found, emptied of blood, the murder rumored to be part of a ritual killing. Twelve-year-old Oskar is personally hoping that revenge has come at long last---revenge for the bullying he endures at school, day after day.

But the murder is not the most important thing on his mind. A new girl has moved in next door---a girl who has never seen a Rubik’s Cube before, but who can solve it at once. There is something wrong with her, though, something odd. And she only comes out at night. . . .

Sweeping top honors at film festivals all over the globe, director Tomas Alfredsson’s film of Let the Right One In has received the same kind of spectacular raves that have been lavished on the book. American readers of vampire fiction will be thrilled!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:52 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door. She's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night--Publisher's description.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible