So finster die Nacht by John Ajvide…

So finster die Nacht (original 2004; edition 2008)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Info:Lübbe (2008), Paperback
Collections:2013, 2010
Rating:*
Tags:Januar 2013

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2004)

English (159)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (173)
The writing voice and depth of the characters is what did it for me. JAL captures the innocence of a child and mixes it with horror of many varieties, capturing the human existence. There is a scene he wrote that I'd have to say is probably the 'scariest" I've ever read. However, the prose could have been much clearer and tighter. I was disappointed how the subtly of the story seemed to go all Holly Wood at the end. Despite it all, this is up there with my Dracula and Salem's Lot favs, I'm a hard pushover for vamp books, and this made my list. ( )
  imaginationzombie | Sep 28, 2014 |
i liked this book about a child vampire. ( )
  jodiesohl | Sep 8, 2014 |
Absolutely amazing... So much more elaborate and twisted than the movie. I wasn't even bored since I've seen the movie first. Such a great take on the whole vampire stuff, probably my favorite! ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Very good, I thought. Portrayed vampires sympathetically, while not sparklifying them. The characters themselves were given thought and developed too, rather than the author just saying, "Here, have some vampires and blood and some drama too. That should do it." Of course, this was published a while ago, so right off that's a mark in its favor, what with the ridiculous point we've reached with every author who can halfway put words together into sentences saturating vampire/fairy/supernatural/etc. fiction with whatever half-assed teen romangst can be crapped out and sold. And now I'm ranting, but the covers of these books. The friggin' covers. Covers are a completely legit, tried-and-true method, in my experience, for judging a book. Nowadays I see a book with a mash-up of disembodied faces/headless bodies faded into/collaged with fuzzy, colorful or otherwise color-manipulated images of castles or whatnot. I see this, I give an involuntary sneer of disgust, and walk away or maybe, if I'm feeling especially hopeful/masochistic, pick the damn thing up and read the inside cover. And often gag, or maybe laugh and shake my head. And sure, the cover of the edition I'm reviewing does have some blurry, monotone photography, a face, a silhouette and some fog. But the book covers I'm talking about are on another level completely. A lower one, probably, or perhaps one in some other dimension which is not up or down, but which is certainly worse.

But anyway. Good book. I liked. Maybe I'll start picking it apart for its flaws later on, but that's hard for me to do immediately after finishing it, and I don't feel like it, and anyway, a good book. So. ( )
  -sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |

-sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.
Blackberg.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
The earth shall drink his blood.

Let the Right One In Takes Top Honors at Tribeca Film Festival!

It is autumn 1981 when the inconceivable comes to Blackeberg, a suburb in Sweden. The body of a teenage boy is found, emptied of blood, the murder rumored to be part of a ritual killing. Twelve-year-old Oskar is personally hoping that revenge has come at long last---revenge for the bullying he endures at school, day after day.

But the murder is not the most important thing on his mind. A new girl has moved in next door---a girl who has never seen a Rubik’s Cube before, but who can solve it at once. There is something wrong with her, though, something odd. And she only comes out at night. . . .

Sweeping top honors at film festivals all over the globe, director Tomas Alfredsson’s film of Let the Right One In has received the same kind of spectacular raves that have been lavished on the book. American readers of vampire fiction will be thrilled!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:52 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door. She's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night--Publisher's description.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,331,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible