Lady Sings the Blues by Billie Holiday

Lady Sings the Blues (1956)

by Billie Holiday

English (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (4)
I have been a fan of Billie Holiday's music for many years. I knew that she lead a hard life, but had no idea how hard until I read her autobiography. Her words are honest and frank--no holds barred. And it doesn't exactly have a happy ending. But now I have a greater appreciation for her work and admiration for what she was able to accomplish in spite of all that happened to her along the way. ( )
  meacoleman | Apr 27, 2014 |
Eleanora Fagan was born April 7, 1915. Her mother was only 13 and her father was pretty much absent. Eleanora was raised by family while her mother worked; her childhood was painful and short. At 13 Eleanora was working as a prostitute, by 14 she was singing her unique style of jazz as Billie Holiday in Brooklyn clubs. Racism and drug addiction dogged her for most of her career but her unyielding spirit could never by broken.

In "Lady Sings the Blues" Billie Holiday tells us her story in her own, bold words. There were parts of her story that made me cringe, others that left me behind. The stories are not necessarily shared chronologically and words aren't wasted on clarifications. Either you know who and what Ms. Holiday is talking about or you don't. If you don't you'll have to go elsewhere for explanations. Her autobiography is not what I'd call well crafted, but it is still well told. Through the rough edges of her prose Ms. Holiday reveals more of herself than would be found in any professionally written biography.

I'd recommend this book to anyone, but it would be particularly well received by those interested in Women's history or African American history. It's also a must read for fans of jazz. ( )
  aleahmarie | Mar 13, 2011 |
Lady Sings the Blues is a heart wrenching account of Billie Holiday's life. It's a bit confusing at times, but overall a very interesting read. ( )
  ryvre | Mar 5, 2008 |

Billie Holidayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pelote, VincentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This work presents the Billie Holiday story - her rise to the top from the slums and the streets, to the eventual slide down.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:45 -0400)

Billie Holiday describes her early childhood in an East Baltimore ghetto, her career as an internationally-acclaimed jazz vocalist, and her years spent battling a drug habit.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible