O Little Town: A Novel by Don Reid

O Little Town: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Don Reid

Title:O Little Town: A Novel
Authors:Don Reid
Info:David C. Cook (2010), Edition: New, Kindle Edition, 309 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Tags:Christian fiction, Christmas

O Little Town: A Novel by Don Reid (2008)

This is mainly a soap opera set in the late 1950's. The story was interesting, but it really didn't have a lot to do with Christmas other than being set at that time of year. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |
I liked this book a lot. The characters are very believable.m the details of small town life in the 50's seem very accurate. Overall this was a very enjoyable, short Christmas read. ( )
1 vote hazel1123 | Dec 20, 2012 |
This was a sweet Christmas book that I really enjoyed. Set in a smallish town where you may know who some people are but you’ve never been close to them. As Christmas comes along these families lives become intertwined and will never be the same again.

I was afraid at first when it started out with a pastor I thought uhoh it’s going to be preachy but it wasn’t at all. This was a story of failures and forgiveness and what family and love mean to you as a person. This book was full of flawed characters all trying their hardest to make it in the world,and to do their best in overcoming everything life throws at them.

This was a look into the lives of a diverse group of people who are intertwined in ways none of them ever expected. It was like being a fly on the wall and an intimate look into the real lives of people, not just the outside they show other people. I thought all the characters were believable and seemed like people you would know in your own hometown.

This was just an all around good story and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good Christmas read!

4 Stars ( )
2 vote susiesharp | Jan 1, 2012 |
The characters in this book are very believable,, they are not over-dramatic and they don't stumble over each other as can happen in a book with several characters. The connections are clear leaving the reader to enjoy the book and not constantly look back to remember who is who.

This is a 'small' town story with some very big characters. Mt Jefferson is actually a big city but you can feel the small townness of it as you read. It is 1958 and a 15 year old girl is caught shoplifting in the five and dime managed by Milton. He came to Mt. Jefferson and liked it so much he refused other promotions so he could stay here. Milton is married to Coleen who's sister, Doris, is married to Doctor Campbell Sterrett. Their son, Louis, is secretly dating Shirley Ann, whos is the daughter of Lt. Buddy Briggs, of the Mt. Jefferson police department. His wife, Amanda, is best friends with Dove Franklin, wife of Rev. Paul Franklin of the local Methodist Church...who's 15 year old daughter has just been caught shoplifting at the local five and dime.

Meanwhile, Walter, the father of Doris and Colleen is spending the days before Christmas in the hospital. The same hospital where he spent so much time in 1904, waiting for a bit of news and permission to see the stage actress who was accidently shot after a show. Walter, smitten with the woman, was 17 and witnessed the shooting. Now, so near the room where she lay so many years ago, Walter remembers the days leading up to the shooting and the days afterward.

It all flows together smoothly and makes a great read. I was a little hesitant to read this book, wondering if a country singer could actually write a book that could hold my interest but I had no need to worry. I couldn't put the book down and finished it in one day. I would love it if there is a sequel. ( )
1 vote wearylibrarian | Dec 17, 2011 |
Better than five stars, this is a six star novel. Loved it! ( )
1 vote tomdye | Dec 11, 2011 |
For my best friend, Bobby, and all the Christmas Eves before
From where I am sitting, I can see where most of it took place. Down Main Street, clear to the end of the block, is where Macalbee's Five and Dime used to be.
"Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
The bed be blest that I lie on.
Four angels to my bed.
Four angels round my head.
One to watch and one to pray,
And two to bear my soul away."— Don Reid

Life in a small town in 1958.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible