O Little Town: A Novel by Don Reid

O Little Town: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Don Reid

Member:hazel1123
Title:O Little Town: A Novel
Authors:Don Reid
Info:David C. Cook (2010), Edition: New, Kindle Edition, 309 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Tags:Christian fiction, Christmas

O Little Town: A Novel by Don Reid (2008)

I liked this book a lot. The characters are very believable.m the details of small town life in the 50's seem very accurate. Overall this was a very enjoyable, short Christmas read. ( )
  hazel1123 | Dec 20, 2012 |
This was a sweet Christmas book that I really enjoyed. Set in a smallish town where you may know who some people are but you’ve never been close to them. As Christmas comes along these families lives become intertwined and will never be the same again.

I was afraid at first when it started out with a pastor I thought uhoh it’s going to be preachy but it wasn’t at all. This was a story of failures and forgiveness and what family and love mean to you as a person. This book was full of flawed characters all trying their hardest to make it in the world,and to do their best in overcoming everything life throws at them.

This was a look into the lives of a diverse group of people who are intertwined in ways none of them ever expected. It was like being a fly on the wall and an intimate look into the real lives of people, not just the outside they show other people. I thought all the characters were believable and seemed like people you would know in your own hometown.

This was just an all around good story and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good Christmas read!

4 Stars ( )
1 vote susiesharp | Jan 1, 2012 |
The characters in this book are very believable,, they are not over-dramatic and they don't stumble over each other as can happen in a book with several characters. The connections are clear leaving the reader to enjoy the book and not constantly look back to remember who is who.

This is a 'small' town story with some very big characters. Mt Jefferson is actually a big city but you can feel the small townness of it as you read. It is 1958 and a 15 year old girl is caught shoplifting in the five and dime managed by Milton. He came to Mt. Jefferson and liked it so much he refused other promotions so he could stay here. Milton is married to Coleen who's sister, Doris, is married to Doctor Campbell Sterrett. Their son, Louis, is secretly dating Shirley Ann, whos is the daughter of Lt. Buddy Briggs, of the Mt. Jefferson police department. His wife, Amanda, is best friends with Dove Franklin, wife of Rev. Paul Franklin of the local Methodist Church...who's 15 year old daughter has just been caught shoplifting at the local five and dime.

Meanwhile, Walter, the father of Doris and Colleen is spending the days before Christmas in the hospital. The same hospital where he spent so much time in 1904, waiting for a bit of news and permission to see the stage actress who was accidently shot after a show. Walter, smitten with the woman, was 17 and witnessed the shooting. Now, so near the room where she lay so many years ago, Walter remembers the days leading up to the shooting and the days afterward.

It all flows together smoothly and makes a great read. I was a little hesitant to read this book, wondering if a country singer could actually write a book that could hold my interest but I had no need to worry. I couldn't put the book down and finished it in one day. I would love it if there is a sequel. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Dec 17, 2011 |
Better than five stars, this is a six star novel. Loved it! ( )
  tomdye | Dec 11, 2011 |
A great book by Don Reid, this was his first book and it comes back around every year around Christmas. It is set in 1958 right at Christmas time and tells a story about different characters. I was a young teen about that time and knew all about a lot of the things that is talked about in this book just not the people. The story takes place in Mt. Jefferson, Va and it switches back and forth between the characters and lets each one talk about their life. There was Walter, he was a sick man and he kept remembering back when he was a young lad and worked in the Crown theater, and about some live actors before the movies came. He was 16 at the time and he really fell for the actress Adrienne. He was the most remarkable character to me. Then there was the police chief, alone with his wife and their pregnant 16 year old daughter and how they handled the teen pregnancy back in the 1950's.

The pastor had a wife that was more interested in another man than her own family, so the teen daughter decided she would steal from the mercantile. Two of the wives were sisters and the daughters of Walter, one was married to the doctor and the other was married to Mercantile manager.

As I would think like any small town there were tongues wagging telling this and that, and no always the truth. I don't know this for a fact if that is the way of small towns as I have never lived in town always in the country.

This book is really a good book and Don did a fine job. Almost as good as his singing you heard I said ALMOST, I loved to hear the Statler Brothers and loved way back when they first got their start. My children grew up listening to the old 33 1/3 lps and me singing alone as I worked in the house.

This book was sent to me by Jeane at wynnwynn media free for me to post my honest review.
  EdnaT | Jan 3, 2011 |
For my best friend, Bobby, and all the Christmas Eves before
From where I am sitting, I can see where most of it took place. Down Main Street, clear to the end of the block, is where Macalbee's Five and Dime used to be.
"Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
The bed be blest that I lie on.
Four angels to my bed.
Four angels round my head.
One to watch and one to pray,
And two to bear my soul away."— Don Reid

Life in a small town in 1958.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,219,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible