I Ching: o Livro das Mutações by Wen Wang…

I Ching: o Livro das Mutações (original 1991; edition 1935)

by Wen Wang e oturos místicos chineses

Member:jgcorrea
Title:I Ching: o Livro das Mutações
Authors:Wen Wang e oturos místicos chineses
Info:Editora Pensamento (1935)
Rating:***
Tags:essays, non-fiction

The I Ching or Book of Changes by Richard Wilhelm (1991)

English (17)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (19)
I bought this book many years ago when I’d travelled to India and was a bit under its spell. Rereading parts of it now makes me wonder why I wanted it. No doubt all that mysticism attracted me but now, dipping into it, I find it hard to think that it holds significant meaning. Starting with ‘the first hexagram is made up of six unbroken lines. These unbroken lines stand for the primal power, which is light-giving, active, strong, and of the spirit’ and then going on to explain different lines with contemporary imagery, it just doesn’t seem to me to be any more than one person’s way of making sense of the world in his own arbitrary way. ‘Six at the top: a/ One falls into the pit. Three uninvited guests arrive . . .’ Whimsical! ( )
  evening | Dec 4, 2016 |
This is the book I would like with me on a desert island. ( )
  questbird | Aug 30, 2014 |
An ancient Chinese manual for divination, the I-Ching (Yijing 易經) has long been the source of much interest both inside and outside of China.

This version, the translation by Richard Wilhelm (the eminent German sinologist), is still one of the best around. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
I use the Wu Wei version, but this is similar.
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Foreward by Carl Jung
  MightyLeaf | May 25, 2010 |
De Yijing (I-tjing) is een oud Chinees orakelboek opgebouwd rond 64 figuren gevormd door hele en onderbroken strepen, die samen alle mogelijke situaties in hun ontwikkelingstendens representeren. Rond deze zgn. hexagrammen hebben zich van de 10e tot de 4e eeuw v.Chr. talrijke, meestal duistere, commentaren verzameld. Deze uitgave is de ongewijzigde druk van de Nederlandse hervertaling door A. Hochberh-van Wallinga (1953) van de Duitse vertaling door Richard Wilhelm, oorspronkelijk verschenen in 1923. Wilhelm doet in zijn bewerking geen poging de verschillende historische lagen te onderscheiden, maar biedt het werk aan als één bron van wijsheid. Zijn vertaling en zijn uitvoerige toelichting dragen sterk het stempel van zijn tijd, maar zijn indrukwekkende prestatie is nog steeds niet verbeterd. De Nederlandse hervertaling bevat ook een vertaling van het voorwoord door C.C. Jung geschreven voor de Engelse hervertaling (1950).
(Biblion recensie, Dr. W.L. Idema.)

added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion, Dr. W.L. Idema

Richard Wilhelmprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baynes, CaryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jung, Carl GustavForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilhelm, HellmutPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first hexagram is made up of six unbroken lines.
There are many different translations of the I Ching, most of which are radically different from one another. Avoid combining them into one work unless you are certain they are substantially the same. Here is an excellent summary of the different editions: http://www.biroco.com/yijing/survey.h...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 069109750X, Hardcover)

More than just a translation, Richard Wilhelm's I Ching is a profound introduction to the Chinese world-view. The I Ching (Yi Jing) is recognized by both Confucians and Taoists as a foundational work, and Wilhelm shows why. He separates his work into three books. The first book is about the hexagrams--the meanings of the lines and Wilhelm's extensive comments. The second presents two early commentaries that interpret the wisdom of the divinatory text, also with Wilhelm's helpful notes. And the third book takes us back to the hexagrams for more detailed commentary from both ancient Chinese thinkers and Wilhelm. Wilhelm is able to offer such enormous assistance because he spent the better part of a decade in China studying under classically trained scholars. His love for the work is thus as broad as his understanding.

The I Ching was originally used for divination, kind of like palm reading or interpreting the stars. It differs from simple prognostication, however, in that it demands us, as diviners, to cultivate an understanding of the world and ourselves. Without this understanding, the text is useless, hence the value of the commentaries, particularly Wilhelm's. This version is not without its biases, of course--it is a European's understanding of the I Ching, through a late-Qing dynasty Confucian perspective, translated into English by a Jungian psychoanalyst. Nonetheless, it succeeds like no other. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:33 -0400)

The I Ching has been used by the Chinese for centuries helping to divine the future.Spirituality.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible