X-Men: Days of Future Past by Chris…

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2011)

by Chris Claremont

Other authors: Terry Austin (Illustrator), John Byrne (Illustrator), Bob McLeod (Illustrator), John Romita, Jr. (Illustrator)

Series: X-Men [1963], Uncanny X-Men [1963] (138-143, Annual 4)

Firstly, I admit I have not seen the movie based on this story-line; moving on. The book contains 7 issues, only 2 of which are part of the title story. Mostly, this is the introduction of Kitty Pryde to the comics. These are her first issues and she's only 13 years old. This is great. All the other characters are much older than her and serve as mentors as she tries to figure out her place as an X-Man and as a mutant. (It's a little weird that none of the characters found it inappropriate that she stole a kiss from Colossus under some mistletoe, considering the age difference, but whatevs.) Also, she's a bit spooked by Nightcrawler, even after several issues, which makes him (and me) sad. (He's my favorite.)

The first issue is Scott Summers (Cyclops) telling the entire history of the X-Men basically. At Jean Grey's funeral. Now, if I had read all 137 issues previous to this one, I'd probably be annoyed at entire issue devoted to a recap. However, since I haven't read all of that, I was saved the trouble by Cyclops' story-telling. Naturally, he centers the whole story around himself and how everything happens to him, so take his narration with a grain of salt.

The story moves on to X-Men Annual #4 Nightcrawler's Inferno. Basically, the X-Men and Dr. Strange have to navigate Dante's Inferno, which has been created by a mysterious foe specifically for Nightcrawler. Devout Catholic that he is, he totally buys into it and feels he deserves this fate, but just wants to get his friends out of harm's way, for they have done nothing wrong. It's nice to see a 600-year-old poem continue to inspire art today. Take that, all those who feels comics have no literary merit!

Look, this volume is terrific. There's a story-line where Wolverine goes to Canada and fights a Wendigo alongside Alpha Flight. Storm shines as the leader of the X-Men after Cyclops takes a leave of absence. The artwork by John Byrne is wonderful and I love the bright colors. The last few pages are artwork from alternate covers and whatnot and there's one that I really wish I had as a full-sized poster (from Essential X_Men Vol 3 back cover). Pick this one up if you want to know the story behind the movie Days of Future Past, or if you want to see a demon crash it's way all through the mansion. ( )
  Jessiqa | Jul 28, 2016 |
Rating is for the "Days of Future Past" itself. The stories also included in this volume are hit or miss...and the miss, they miss big. ( )
  JoshLook | Jun 24, 2016 |
Not what I was expecting. It's my own fault, my knowledge of the "Days of Future Past" storyline came from the version in the X-Men cartoon from the 90's, so I thought I was in for Bishop, Cable, crazy time-travel, and all sorts of good stuff.

Actually what happens is this: we see a glimpse of a future where mutants are hated and being hunted down by Sentinels. Kitty Pryde is still alive, and in one of the most hilariously silly sequences I think I've seen, even in a comic book, her brain switches places with the brain of her younger self in the "present" time. It turns out that the hysteria is caused by an attack on a politician by mutants (Senator Kelly), so Kitty and the rest of the X-Men try to stop it. [SPOILER ALERT] They actually kind of fail, the attack happens anyway, and we never find out if it helped prevent the future but I guess it did. Then, suddenly some kind of demonic aliens attack the X-Mansion and Kitty does a good job at not dying. Really, it has nothing to do with anything.

I read this book because I heard that it was being used as the basis for the upcoming X-Men film. I see blog posts where people are speculating on who is being cast as Bishop and Cable, which leads me to believe that in fact NOBODY is familiar with the actual Days of Future Past comic book story, since those two are not in it at all, and the "time travel" aspect is limited entirely to the brain swap. I hope the movie draws more from the cartoon than the comic book, because this shit would be boring. Hell, the "Brotherhood of Evil Mutants attack on Senator Kelly" was already done, in the first goddamn movie! I also don't understand how this movie is going to unify X-Men 3 into canon, which already shows Sentinels as part of a danger room simulation. Whatever, the X-Men film continuity is fucked.

Anyway, this comic is from an era of comics a bit before my time. I tend to read the comics that came after the "gritification" of the medium, basically the post-Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns, post-Watchmen era. I'll grant that this era is marked by perhaps an overemphasis on dark, gritty storylines and violence, but the 80's era from which this emerged just doesn't do it for me. The dialogue is so painfully corny, with everyone explaining what is happening and why they are doing everything, even in the middle of a battle. And the thought bubbles, oh God the thought bubbles.

Days of Future Past: skip it, the cartoon version is awesome, the comic book version is weak. And has random demon aliens at the end for absolutely no reason. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
Claremont rules! ( )
  Joel.G..Gomes | Apr 17, 2014 |
This is what the newest X-men movie is based on. The first issue is a good recap of X-men history, but the "Days of Future Past" storyline feels really short. Great for filmmakers looking for a story to adapt, but disappointing for some readers. Might be a good choice for girls due to Kitty Pryde. Kitty Pryde is awesome. ( )
  SpockMonkeys | Feb 7, 2014 |

Chris Claremontprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austin, TerryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Byrne, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McLeod, BobIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romita, John, Jr.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Youngquist, JeffEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All my life, it seemed that-- every time I turned around-- I was losing people I loved: my folks, my brother Alex, the few friends I made at the orphanage.
The Rolls' headlights touch Jason Wyngarde for a moment, throwing his shadow across the wall behind him. Cyclops automatically notes the image...but his mind--preoccupied with a host of far-more-pressing concerns--doesn't register it. Perhaps, one day, he will remember--and recognize--who he passed this night. By then, however, it may well be far too late. For him, for the X-Men--and most importantly, for the woman he loves.

Collects Uncanny X-Men #138-143. Re-live the legendary first journey into the dystopian future of 2013 - where Sentinels stalk the Earth, and the X-Men are humanity's only hope...until they die! Also featuring an appearance by Alpha Flight and the return of the Wendigo.

Relive the first journey into the dystopian future of 2013.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,776,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible