X-Men: Days of Future Past by Chris…

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2011)

by Chris Claremont

Other authors: Terry Austin (Illustrator), John Byrne (Illustrator), Bob McLeod (Illustrator), John Romita, Jr. (Illustrator)

Series: X-Men

Not what I was expecting. It's my own fault, my knowledge of the "Days of Future Past" storyline came from the version in the X-Men cartoon from the 90's, so I thought I was in for Bishop, Cable, crazy time-travel, and all sorts of good stuff.

Actually what happens is this: we see a glimpse of a future where mutants are hated and being hunted down by Sentinels. Kitty Pryde is still alive, and in one of the most hilariously silly sequences I think I've seen, even in a comic book, her brain switches places with the brain of her younger self in the "present" time. It turns out that the hysteria is caused by an attack on a politician by mutants (Senator Kelly), so Kitty and the rest of the X-Men try to stop it. [SPOILER ALERT] They actually kind of fail, the attack happens anyway, and we never find out if it helped prevent the future but I guess it did. Then, suddenly some kind of demonic aliens attack the X-Mansion and Kitty does a good job at not dying. Really, it has nothing to do with anything.

I read this book because I heard that it was being used as the basis for the upcoming X-Men film. I see blog posts where people are speculating on who is being cast as Bishop and Cable, which leads me to believe that in fact NOBODY is familiar with the actual Days of Future Past comic book story, since those two are not in it at all, and the "time travel" aspect is limited entirely to the brain swap. I hope the movie draws more from the cartoon than the comic book, because this shit would be boring. Hell, the "Brotherhood of Evil Mutants attack on Senator Kelly" was already done, in the first goddamn movie! I also don't understand how this movie is going to unify X-Men 3 into canon, which already shows Sentinels as part of a danger room simulation. Whatever, the X-Men film continuity is fucked.

Anyway, this comic is from an era of comics a bit before my time. I tend to read the comics that came after the "gritification" of the medium, basically the post-Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns, post-Watchmen era. I'll grant that this era is marked by perhaps an overemphasis on dark, gritty storylines and violence, but the 80's era from which this emerged just doesn't do it for me. The dialogue is so painfully corny, with everyone explaining what is happening and why they are doing everything, even in the middle of a battle. And the thought bubbles, oh God the thought bubbles.

Days of Future Past: skip it, the cartoon version is awesome, the comic book version is weak. And has random demon aliens at the end for absolutely no reason. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
Claremont rules! ( )
  Joel.G..Gomes | Apr 17, 2014 |
This is what the newest X-men movie is based on. The first issue is a good recap of X-men history, but the "Days of Future Past" storyline feels really short. Great for filmmakers looking for a story to adapt, but disappointing for some readers. Might be a good choice for girls due to Kitty Pryde. Kitty Pryde is awesome. ( )
  SpockMonkeys | Feb 7, 2014 |
The jacket copy on this book hypes that THIS is the one set in the dystopian future, in which mutants are hunted down and killed, and this is all government sanctioned.

Um. Well, that 2-issue story is in here, sure, but so is a crap ton of other really boring X-Men stuff--the funeral for Jean Gray, the death of Nightcrawler and the X-Team's trip to Hades to save him? I dunno what that was about.

The dystopia isn't really strong enough that I feel like I can include it in a booklist, but it'll be good as a readalike to several other things. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |

Byrne, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McLeod, BobIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romita, John, Jr.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Youngquist, JeffEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All my life, it seemed that-- every time I turned around-- I was losing people I loved: my folks, my brother Alex, the few friends I made at the orphanage.

Relive the first journey into the dystopian future of 2013.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible