Roanoke by Angela Elwell Hunt

I read [Roanoke] by Angela Elwell Hunt and [White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke] by Paul Clayton back to back.

I enjoyed both of these books about the lost colony of Roanoke Island off the coast of North Carolina. The Hunt book was written from a Christian perspective, which I thought resulted in a story that was more accurate for that event at that time in history. The Clayton book did not paint the picture quite as well, but provided different viewpoints as to the possibilities of what happened.

Both of these books were faithful to the dates, people and events which had been recorded. From the list of passengers, each author fashioned stories for their major characters. Hunt’s Thomas was a minister of the gospel. I thought this character was the weakest part of her story, with the workings of his mind too repetitious, and I thought, unlikely. Clayton’s Thomas was an indentured servant, turned soldier, and seemed more believable. Clayton’s minister did not.

Both faithfully rendered the setting of Roanoke Island and the beginning of the settlement there, as Governor White has described it well upon his return to England to procure more supplies. The story of his trials in trying to get ships to return, of Raleigh’s unhelpfulness, of the queen’s denial of ships due to the increase in aggression of Spanish ships in the waters, and English ships needed for protection and combat. Of the false starts when the captains of the ships he finally received continually broke off their course to chase Spanish ships for treasure. Of his frustration in not being able to get back to the settlers - one his daughter, one his new granddaughter born on Roanoke just before he had to leave. Both of the author’s tellings of these events rang true.

Their imaginings differed greatly about what might have occurred on the island between White’s leaving and finally being able to return years later. Although he was able to debark to the island, his search there yielded no colonists. Because of the weather, White was not able to be taken to the mainland, and was returned to England never knowing what may have become of his people.

Though I had some quibbles with both, the possibilities made for fascinating reads, both of them. ( )
  countrylife | Feb 3, 2017 |
The Roanoke Colony was established in 1587 but when new arrivals came in 1590, all of the 100 people had disappeared, leaving behind only two clues. The word “Croatoan” which was carved into the gatepost of the fort and “Cro” etched into a nearby tree. Theories about this disappearance have ranged from attacks by Indians or the Spanish to disease and have intrigued historians for years. In Roanoke: The Lost Colony, author Angela E. Hunt imparts her ideas of what happened there.

This is the story of Jocelyn White Coleman, niece to Governor White, cousin to Eleanor Dare whose daughter, Virginia, was the first white child born in North America. Jocelyn is grieving the death of her father and following his wishes, she departs England for the Colonies. Through mutual attraction and her Uncle’s machinations, she marries the colony’s minister, Thomas Coleman, a deeply troubled man. Religion is very prominent in this book and although I don’t usually read books that carry the label of “Christian Literature”, I thought the religious aspects were important to the story and were well blended with the historical facts as religion played a decisive role in their everyday lives plus passing on their religious faith to the Indians was important to many of the colonists. In fact, religion may well have contributed to the downfall of the colony, as their strict rules and narrow outlook could well have caused clashes with the native population.

Overall I found Roanoke: The Lost Colony to be a viable story of what most likely happened to these original settlers, and in many ways it was simply bad luck, bad weather and timing that saw the colony ignored and supplies not delivered while England dealt with the Spanish Armada and the war with Spain. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 12, 2017 |
Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this book. As you can see, the cover is absolutely stunning, but it has nothing to do with the story, not even a little bit. As the title indicates, the story is about the missing colonists of Roanoke, and I always enjoy seeing personalities put to historical figures. While I sincerely appreciate the time and energy that went into researching the documents and the history, the characters in this story weren’t very likeable. Reverend Thomas Colman was pretty much a jerk, and his wife Jocelyn starts as a sassy woman who speaks her mind but becomes weak and spineless as the story progresses. The book is touted as a romance, and the two finally get together in the last pages of the book, but it was too little too late and completely out of character for him, seeing as he had been a jerk for the first 98% of the book. The other characters were hit or miss, most disappearing before you even got a chance to know them. The one thing that kept me reading was to find out the author’s impression of what happened to the colonists, but nope, we didn’t.

I understand the characters speaking with ‘twas and ‘tis, but it really didn’t need to be ongoing ad nauseum throughout the narrative. ‘Twould be better if it ‘twas written without all the ‘tis and ‘twas. ‘Twouldn’t it?

In general, I wanted to like it, but I really, really wanted an ending. ( )
  LoriCrane | Jul 13, 2015 |
This was an intriguing story that was very well written, about a time in history that sadly I knew very little about until reading Angela Hunt's version of the "Lost Colonies" at Roanoke, Virginia. The story will begin in England in 1587 and span more than 20 years as you become a part of the brave people who set sail to make a new start in the Americas. How factual was this story? Let me quote from the author at the back of her book, "My readers often want to know how much of a book is fiction and how much is fact. Be assured that I have tried my best not to contradict the extensive historical record. And while no one knows exactly what happened to the lost colonists of Roanoke - at one time or another, their disappearance has been attributed to . . . . . . there is strong anecdotal and historical evidence to support the premise and conclusion of the story as presented in these pages. The people of this book are a very real part of American history." And so the story begins.

Jocelyn White finds herself, again her will, leaving for America aboard a ship with her Uncle, John White, and cousin Eleanor and her husband, leaving her father behind who is ready to die. She is a stubborn, rebellious, independent and beautiful young lady who will be severely tested throughout her life. She will make a hasty marriage to Thomas Coleman, a minister fleeing England for reasons you will not find out till later in the book. As Jocelyn is told, "love is a decision and today you have both made it. Trust God to do the rest", Jocelyn will have to do A LOT of trusting and leaning on the Lord, because at times I wanted to scream at her husband. He was SO messed up in his mind about love, marriage and pretty much everything in between, that I didn't think I could ever come to like this man. It was a story of endurance for all the colonists and I found myself caught up in their lives and wanting to know more about them. An excellent book on a part of history that we will never know for sure what exactly did happened.

There are more stories in this series and I definitely think they also would be worth reading. This story left off at a place that I can see and hope the next book picks up with. If you are interested in history and don't mind a little fiction thrown in, you will enjoy this book a great deal. ( )
  judyg54 | Mar 3, 2014 |
I would have liked this book more if Thomas hadn't been such an awful character. The story seemed historically accurate for the most part, other than the infamous "'Tis okay" line. ( )
  kathleen586 | Mar 30, 2013 |
For Him whose grace is greater than our sin
Grace comes into the soul, as the morning sun into the world; first a dawning; then a light; and at last the sun in his full and excellent brightness. Thomas Adams
Prologue
Anno Regni Reginae Elizabethae, 28
Her Majesty's Virginia, June 1, 1586
The hard fist of fear squeezed John White's stomach s the aroma of an Indian woman's breakfast stew wafted by on a breeze.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0842320121, Paperback)

Series premiere special price! Roanoke: The Lost Colony recounts the life of Jocelyn Colman, whose faith is tested and refined when she follows the husband she barely knows to an unexplored land. Jocelyn struggles with her husband's bitterness and guilt until God's forgiveness becomes a lifesaving reality.

Based upon original historical documents and the writings of John White, Roanoke: The Lost Colony is a thought-provoking exploration of what might have happened to the colonists who founded North America's first European colony.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:06 -0400)

In the wilds of America, Rev. Thomas Colman must win beautiful, fiery Jocelyn's hand in marriage or face fifteen years of servitude.

Angela Elwell Hunt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,534,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible