El poder de las tinieblas by John Connolly

El poder de las tinieblas (original 2001; edition 2000)

by John Connolly

Member:Gargargom
Title:El poder de las tinieblas
Authors:John Connolly
Info:TusQuets (2005), Paperback, 408 pages
Rating:***

Dark Hollow by John Connolly (2001)

Recently added byRoBRaYLeV, kopke, private library, wolfsbruder, tunesmithnw, Chinese_Gordon, njgriffin, flu1918

English (20)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
Connolly should be ranked at the top of his field. His work with his American crime-fiction franchise and his iconic anti-hero at the center is even more impressive due to the fact that Connolly himself, is an Irishman.

His ability to create a chilling atmosphere is only second to his top notch character development. Parker returns alongside friends, Louis and Angel in Connolly's sequel to 2001's Every Dead Thing, Dark Hollow. In Dark Hollow, PI Charlie "Bird" Parker returns to his old stomping grounds of Portland, Maine, alone, to heal his wounds following the events of the last year as well as the brutal murder of his wife and child. As Parker begins to restore a home he had inherited from his grandfather, he takes a small job on the side - collect child support from a deadbeat dad for a longtime friend. However, what started as a simple job soon throws Charlie in the middle of a prominent mob boss' business, the disappearance of said deadbeat dad and the re-appearance of a man long thought to have vanished or never to exist at all. While dealing with all this, Charlie comes to grip with the sudden loss of communication with friend, Rachel Wolfe, the reappearance of former disgruntled partner Walter Cole AND meeting up with an old flame, who happened to be married, and still is, at the time of their initial affair.

You'd think that having this much going on at once would be overwhelming but Connolly maintains control throughout. I never felt lost at any point throughout the novels 500 pages and never felt that anything was unnecessary. Connolly often rewrites his books, sometimes in excess of 20 times so he makes sure his novels are tight. Further development is given to Parker's accomplices Louis and Angel. The nature of Louis' employment puts a strain on his relationship with Parker for the first time. We also get a glimpse into how Angel became intertwined with Parker in the first place. This excites me as Louis is given a more central role in a Parker novel down the road and his character is already interesting by the 2nd novel - I can only guess what Connolly has in store for the next few outings.

Dark Hollow focuses a bit more on who these central characters are, their backgrounds and Charlie's reason for continuing down this road. Connolly should be praised for his ability to write thrillers this good but nothing is better than proper character development, it keeps the series interesting. ( )
1 vote branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Very dark and claustrophobic. I liked Every Dead Thing better; the winter-in-Maine setting in Dark Hollow was almost too bleak and heavy. Plus, DH did not have enough Rachel, who was a welcome presence in EDT. I already have book #3 eyeballed at the library, but if these books are all this dark, I might not be able to read too many in a row without a lighthearted break. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
“I dream dark dreams.

I dream of a figure moving through the forest, of children flying from his path, of young women crying at his coming. I dream of snow and ice, of bare branches and moon-cast shadows. I dream of dancers floating in the air, stepping lightly even in death, and my own pain is but a faint echo of their suffering as I run. My blood is black on the snow, and the edges of the world are silvered with moonlight. I run into the darkness, and he is waiting.

I dream in black and white, and I dream of him.

I dream of Caleb, who does not exist, and I am afraid.”

Charlie Parker, almost a year after the murder of his family, is trying to find peace. He has returned to Maine where he spent his youth and has moved into his Grandfathers old house in Scarborough with the intention of doing it up. Unfortunately he doesn’t get very much done as before long he is drawn into the hunt for the killer of another mother and child. The obvious suspect is the woman's violent estranged husband.

But there is another possibility – his grandfather (a policeman) was haunted by a shocking series of unsolved murders in the area, the perpetrator was meant to be the monster known as Caleb Kyle. As the decades past Kyle sank into the mythology of Dark Hollow only to be resurrected by tired mothers as the bogey man used to scare errant children. "Caleb Kyle, Caleb Kyle, when you see him run a mile"

Far to the north an elderly lady, from a nursing home, is found wandering in the snowy woods saying she has seen Caleb Kyle…

There is a whole different atmosphere to this book, from EDT, it feels sinister, forbidding and very gothic! The intensely visual descriptions of a freezing winter in Maine, drip with a dark, brooding menace. I felt cold the whole time I was reading it!

As the author says:

“I wanted to use the Maine landscape, the changing of the seasons, the cycles of nature, to illuminate the novel. The book is filled with images of predatory nature and, combined with the onset of winter; I hope gives the book some of its power.”

It is a genuinely haunting, dark and unsettling read but Connolly’s lyrical writing, almost mystical in parts, make it a breathtaking experience.
1 vote jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
“I dream dark dreams.

I dream in black and white, and I dream of him.

I dream of Caleb, who does not exist, and I am afraid.”

Far to the north but now an elderly lady, from a nursing home, is found wandering in the snowy woods saying she has seen Caleb Kyle…

As the author says:

jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
Charlie "Bird" Parker has come home to Maine. Away from as many of the memories as he can of his wife and child and their death but they're always with him and when a young wife and child are killed shortly after he helps them to get some money owed, he's drawn into their case. He is driven by this past to find the answers and what he finds is messy and complicated and there's a lot of bodies.

Interesting and dark. Charlie is an interesting character with a lot of motivations and his friends are complicated and nothing is straighforward or transparent. I'm liking the series and the characters but there are moments when it's a bit gruesome. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | Nov 12, 2012 |

John Connollyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alone, alone, about a dreadful wood
Of conscious evil runs a lost mankind,
Dreading fo find its Father.
W. H. Auden, For the Time Being
For my Father
The Dodge Intrepid stood beneath a stand of firs, its windshield facing out to the sea, the lights off, the key in the ignition to keep the heater running.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074341022X, Mass Market Paperback)

Charlie "Bird" Parker, the protagonist of John Connolly's Shamus Award-winning first novel, Every Dead Thing, returns in another moody, masterful thriller set in the beautifully evoked Maine woods where Bird has returned to lick his wounds and recover from the murder of his wife and daughter explored in the earlier book. A half-hearted investigator, Bird agrees to track down the ex-husband of Rita Purdue and get the child support she has coming to her. And when Rita and her son are killed and the finger of suspicion points to Billy Purdue, Bird still feels a moral obligation to find the young man, even though he can't believe he's a killer. Then the bodies begin piling up, among them a bunch of Cambodian killers, some mob-connected Boston gangsters, a couple of people to whom Billy turned for refuge, and an old woman in a nursing home who dies with the name of a bogeyman on her lips--the mysterious Caleb Kyle. It's not the first time Bird's heard that name: his grandfather, who was also a cop, spent his last years trying to track down the legendary monster whose name was always used to scare kids into doing what they were supposed to. And it's not only his grandfather's ghost that haunts Bird as he attempts to solve the mystery of who Billy Purdue really is; the spirits of his dead wife and child urge him on in his attempt to find justice for Rita and her child as well. Aided in his quest by two unlikely but compellingly realized associates, a gay hit man and his lover, Bird confronts the evil that lurks in a mythical monster who turns out to be all too real, and comes to terms, finally, with the grief that has colored his life black since the death of his family. A powerful, well-paced thriller with a complex and interesting hero who bears even further explication--hopefully in his third adventure. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:00 -0400)

Grieving over the murder of his family, private detective Charlie "Bird" Parker returns to Maine in search of refuge, and becomes caught up in the murders of a young mother and her child.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,331,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible