The New Rector by Rebecca Shaw

The New Rector

by Rebecca Shaw

The New Rector by Rebecca Shaw is the first in a series about the going-on in a rural British Village called Turnham Malpas. I have a weakness for these kind of books but this one being set in the 1990’s is far more updated that my usual reads of this type. Being set in the 1990’s makes for more modern story-lines, the main ones here deals with the new rector who loves his wife very much, but is sexually attracted to a young widow in the village. Another story-line deals with an older spinster who is being harassed by a school-age thug and his vicious older sister.

The village has it’s share of natives who grew up here and are fairly set in their ways but also a good deal of people who have moved out of large cities like London in search of a quieter, safer place to live and raise their families. And like all places it has its share of gossips and busy-bodies as well. When a particularly nasty murder occurs during a village fete, everyone is both fearful and curious.

I don’t know much about this series yet, but I believe that the murder in this book isn’t going to be a regular occurrence in subsequent books. This is a series about a small English village and the people who reside there as it evolves into modern times. I really enjoyed this first book and look forward to more from this series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 24, 2017 |
An enjoyable book based on rural village life, however I have to say there was an awful lot that went on in this village. I look forward to continuing with the book and the characters from this series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Everyday life and drama in the village of Turnham Malpas. Fairly believable people, pleasant light reading. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I picked this up because I wanted I see what was being written about a clergy person - and I was hooked.
This is a series of gentle stories. Nothing earth shattering, but compelling to read on never the less. Some real characters with real life dilemmas, sorrows and joys.
I'm not always convinced by The Rector, but it's interesting to read.
I've read the rest of the series if that's recommendation enough! ( )
  pamjw | Jun 10, 2010 |
This is the first in a brilliant series of books set in the village of Turnham Malpas. They are great for curling up and reading.
You become totally absorbed in village life, and get to know each of the characters. Once you have read one you have to read them all, and I am now, impatiently, awaiting the next one in the series which isn't out until next year! ( )
  LibraryLou | Apr 3, 2007 |

A first novel spanning the events of a year in a Worcestershire village called Turnham Malpass, as seen through the eyes of the new rector.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,669,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible