As a Man Thinketh by James Allen

As a Man Thinketh (1902)

by James Allen

Excerpt from my blog, republished with permission:

My quote in this post comes from a book I recently read as part of a motivational series, but I was not impressed by the work as a whole; if you've read the Bible book of Proverbs, from which the title of this book comes (Pro. 23:7), you can skip James Allen’s book. It repeats the same mantra until it becomes meaningless.

However, I did enjoy this idea from its pages:

Quote of the Day:

"To put away aimlessness and weakness, and to begin to think with purpose, is to enter the ranks of those strong ones who only recognize failure as one of the pathways to attainment; who make all conditions serve them, and who think strongly, attempt fearlessly, and accomplish masterfully."—James Allen, As a Man Thinketh. ( )
  ClimbingDan | Mar 29, 2015 |
This book is definitely in my top 5 favorites. Amazing spirit of a man who lost everything yet had one of the most beautiful minds of all time. You cannot help but be captivated by the author's thought process. Each child should read this book! ( )
  Mark_Oszoli | Nov 8, 2014 |
As a Man Thinketh has a lot of insight and direction on right thinking. The author seems to take "personal responsibility" to the extreme in that he ignores the effects that others and circumstances of chance can have on a person. ( )
  jamesfallen | Feb 7, 2014 |
My hardcover copy is so old it doesn't have a date. I love this book. Very insightful and thought-provoking. ( )
  essyconstantine | Sep 1, 2013 |
Summary: Oh the power of thought! The author sets out to prove the value of our thoughts and how they can literally change our world. This idea was really mind boggling for me and I believe it to be a necessary read every year. ( )
  6boysandme | Jul 16, 2013 |

James Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCoy, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mcpharlin, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meyer, Paul J.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steiner, CharleyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The aphorism, "As a man thinketh in his heart so is he," not only embraces the whole of a man's being, but is so comprehensive as to reach out to every condition and circumstance of his life.

Self Help Book on the power of thoughts. Most importantly the abilities each of us have by channeling our thoughts.

"Probably one of the first of these motivational writers, the one who, indeed, opened the door to what is now called the human potential movement, the man whose writings were the wellspring from which this philosophy was generated, was James Allen" -- p. vii… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,478,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible