Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Templar Legacy: A Novel by Steve Berry

The Templar Legacy: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Steve Berry

Member:janaelakey
Title:The Templar Legacy: A Novel
Authors:Steve Berry
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages

The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry (2006)

L’auteur du Troisième Secret nous offre, avec ce thriller ésotérique remarquablement conçu, un roman riche en détails historiques, qui développe une étonnante hypothèse quand à la vraie nature du fameux trésor des Templiers.

1118, Jérusalem, Terre sainte. Neuf chevaliers créent un ordre militaire, les « Pauvres Chevaliers du Christ ». Le roi Baudoin II de Jérusalem leur cède pour résidence une partie de son palais, bâti sur les ruines du Temple de Salomon. Ils deviennent les «Chevaliers du Temple,» puis les «Templiers».

1307 : Jacques de Molay, le grand maître de l’ordre des Templiers, est arrêté sur ordre de Philippe le Bel et livré à l’Inquisition. Il garde le silence sur le déjà célèbre trésor des Templiers.

2006 : Cotton Malone, ex-agent du département de la Justice américaine, et son amie Stéphanie Nelle entrent en possession de documents troublants relatifs à la nature du trésor des Templiers. Commence alors une quête à la fois historique, érudite et périlleuse, qui les mènera à Rennes-le-Château, cœur du mystère.

Plus de 2 millions d’amateurs de thrillers et de passionnés d’histoire ont déjà plébiscité à travers le monde ce roman, salué par Dan Brown et Katherine Neville, où ésotérisme, action et suspense se conjuguent à merveille.
  Haijavivi | Jun 4, 2019 |
This felt like the book equivalent to the movie National Treasure. It's not great, it's not even good, but it scratches a certain adventure itch that I sometimes get, and if it happens to be on I always end up watching. I won't be running out to pick up the next immediately, but the next time I have a hankering for this sort of adventure story I know what I'll pick. That said, I did find this to be unnecessarily long, but it's a book that forgives skimming. ( )
  duchessjlh | May 25, 2019 |
I don’t know why I keep picking up these books that center around debunking Christian mythology, but I do. It must be rooted in my youthful rebellion against the mind-numbing church history classes I was forced to endure at my Catholic high school, which were taught by a nun, Sr. Delphine, who looked, moved and spoke as though she were a step away from one of the catecombs she taught about with such relish. But I digress.

This book is one of the recent spate of DaVinci Code-alikes that have hit the bookshelves. Now, I have to say that I wasn’t too enamoured of Dan Brown’s controversial tale, mostly because I thought Robert Langdon was incredibly boring, and that the French police officer was a total stereotype. I liked Templar Legacy much, much more…better characters, better pacing, better everything.

Our protagonists, Cotton Malone and Stephanie Nelle, find themselves smack in the middle of another gosh-darn conspiracy that will reveal a shocking historical truth intended to rock the foundations of the known world. Stephanie’s dead husband, Lars, spent most of their marriage searching for the lost treasure of the Knights Templar. Seven years after his death, Stephanie receives his journal, sent anonymously through the mail, and decides she must have closure. So, she pulls up stakes from her high level government job, and flies to Copenhagen, where she stirs up a whole bunch of trouble. Teaming up with former intelligence officer turned bookshop owner Cotton Malone (maybe I’m wrong, but I really do think this is the name of the sports announcer played by Gary Cole in the movie Dodgeball), the two follow clues supposedly leading to the Great Devise — the legendary Templar treasure hidden in the 14th century as the Knights were being exterminated by French royalty. The two are challenged by Raymond deRoquefort, Marshal, then Master, of the current, hidden Knights. Twists and turns abound as Cotton and Stephanie race against time to discover the Great Devise and foil the evil deRoquefort’s plans of world domination.

Yep. It’s a page-turner all right. Actually, one of the things I liked best about this book is the short sections within the chapters. There wasn’t that whole one-chapter-about-Raymond, one-chapter-about-Stephanie thing going on. I could pick the book up, read for about 5 minutes, put it down to check dinner, change the laundry over, or help a patron and then pick it right back up without missing a beat. And the story itself was full of surprises. I sure didn’t see the twists coming at the end.

The setting is almost identical to that in The Labyrinth by Kate Mosse — Carcasonne and other areas of France — and there are echoes of the same ancient legends in both books. Templar is a much better read, however. Definitely pick it up and give it a shot. ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
Fabulous adventure story. The history was really interesting, too. I'll continue with this series. Maybe there will be more about the bookshop in one of them? Hope so. ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |
Bog standard historical action thriller. I know they get better as I've read later Cotton Malone stories. This one is pedestrian. ( )
  alexezell | Nov 14, 2018 |
An ex-spy is plunged back into the violent world he thought he left behind when he's forced into the race to find a treasure that could rock the civilized world.

Jesus said, "Know what is within your sight, and what is hidden from you will become clear. For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed." The Gospel of Thomas
"It has served us well, this myth of Christ." Pope Leo X
For Elizabeth, Always
Jacques de Molay sought death, but knew salvation would never be offered. (Prologue)
Cotton Malone spotted the knife at the same time he saw Stephanie Nelle. (Chapter One)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345504410, Mass Market Paperback)

The ancient order of the Knights Templar possessed untold wealth and absolute power over kings and popes . . . until the Inquisition, when they were wiped from the face of the earth, their hidden riches lost. But now two forces vying for the treasure have learned that it is not at all what they thought it was–and its true nature could change the modern world.

Cotton Malone, one-time top operative for the U.S. Justice Department, is enjoying his quiet new life as an antiquarian book dealer in Copenhagen when an unexpected call to action reawakens his hair-trigger instincts–and plunges him back into the cloak-and-dagger world he thought he’d left behind.

It begins with a violent robbery attempt on Cotton’s former supervisor, Stephanie Nelle, who’s far from home on a mission that has nothing to do with national security. Armed with vital clues to a series of centuries-old puzzles scattered across Europe, she means to crack a mystery that has tantalized scholars and fortune-hunters through the ages by finding the legendary cache of wealth and forbidden knowledge thought to have been lost forever when the order of the Knights Templar was exterminated in the fourteenth century. But she’s not alone. Competing for the historic prize–and desperate for the crucial information Stephanie possesses–is Raymond de Roquefort, a shadowy zealot with an army of assassins at his command.

Welcome or not, Cotton seeks to even the odds in the perilous race. But the more he learns about the ancient conspiracy surrounding the Knights Templar, the more he realizes that even more than lives are at stake. At the end of a lethal game of conquest, rife with intrigue, treachery, and craven lust for power, lies a shattering discovery that could rock the civilized world–and, in the wrong hands, bring it to its knees.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Former secret agent Cotton Malone and Stephanie Nelle, a U.S. Justice Department prosecutor, must solve the mystery of fourteenth-century Templar riches and secrets before Raymond de Roquefort and his murderous allies prevail.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible