Brave New World and Brave New World…

Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited (original 1932; edition 2005)

by Aldous Huxley, Christopher Hitchens (Foreword)

Member:mommabear
Title:Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited
Authors:Aldous Huxley
Other authors:Christopher Hitchens (Foreword)
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2005), Paperback, 384 pages

Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (1932)

English (25)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (28)
Il libro mi era stato consigliato da un'amica e devo dire che è davvero un bel romanzo (ed anche il "saggio" finale è ottimo). E' una versione più "gentile" di 1984, dove il futuro non è poi cupo, tetro ed asfittico come nel romanzo di Orwell. Leggetelo, e pensate al nostro mondo attuale... e vedete se non ci trovate dei parallelismi... "Ritorno al mondo nuovo", poi è molto interessante (sono delle considerazioni di Huxley sul suo romanzo e sulle possibilità di realizzazione future del "Mondo nuovo") ( )
  cecca | Jul 28, 2014 |
Brave New World is one of those books I felt like I HAD to read, and I'm glad I did. It presents some interesting concepts, but I don't find it the best as far as Dystopias go. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
BNW was a favorite of mine the first time I read it as a teen. I received this edition of BNW & BNWR from my parents. I must have gone on about this one a lot. :) ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
I know this book is a classic yet I never read it until recently. I am taking a science ficition class and this is the first book assigned. I am glad that I read it! I know why it is a classic. There a number of ideas explored, freedom, seems to me the main one. how much freedom do we have. of course society and how it guilds our values and outlook. Huxley would have loved Woodstock! ( )
  michaelbartley | Apr 12, 2013 |

I read Brave New World because of a cartoon by Stuart McMillan called Amusing Ourselves to Death. It was a comic adaptation of a book by the same title by Neal Postman. McMillan has pulled the comic at the request of the copyright holders, but you can still find the strip via search. It compared the dystopias Brave New World and 1984. In 1984 the world is controlled through fear and violence. In Brave New World by desire and drugs. They are in essence flip sides of the same coin of totalitarianism. Such a state would use both fear and desire. Most of the time through desire, through opiates for the masses, and for the obstreperous fear. The most depressing thing about both books is that we can see elements of them in our modern world. That's the danger of books. For some they are a warning. For others a how-to manual. ( )
  clmerle | Apr 2, 2013 |
A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories.
Chronic remorse, as all the moralists are agreed, is a most undesirable sentiment.  (Preface)

The astonishing novel Brave New World, originally published in 1932, presents Aldous Huxley's vision of the future -- of a world utterly transformed. Through the most efficient scientific and psychological engineering, people are genetically designed to be passive and therefore consistently useful to the ruling class. This powerful work of speculative fiction sheds a blazing critical light on the present and is considered to be Huxley's most enduring masterpiece.

Following Brave New World is the nonfiction work Brave New World Revisited, first published in 1958. It is a fascinating work in which Huxley uses his tremendous knowledge of human relations to compare the modern-day world with the prophetic fantasy envisioned in Brave New World, including threats to humanity, such as overpopulation, propaganda, and chemical persuasion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:30 -0400)

Contains the text of Huxley's prophetic work and includes his discussion about social problems and the human condition since its publication.

Legacy Library: Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Aldous Huxley's legacy profile.

See Aldous Huxley's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,276,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible