The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde/Eddie…

The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde/Eddie Chase 3) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Andy McDermott

Member:HindeHouse
Title:The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde/Eddie Chase 3)
Authors:Andy McDermott
Info:Headline (2009), Paperback, 608 pages
Collections:Librarians Books

The Secret of Excalibur by Andy McDermott (2008)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Half historical, half thriller. I was hoping for more historical, but the thriller was intriguing enough to keep me hooked. The ending definitely leaves me wanting more. It contains an interesting take on the various people of the Arthurian legends. A big part of the book's humor is Eddie's crass use of language. The book also concentrated heavily on Eddie's and Nina's relationship as future spouses, which is great for people following the series, but a bit of a drag for others who just picked up this book (like me). ( )
  samuraibunny | Aug 18, 2011 |
This is the 3rd book that I have read by this author and I am beginning to see some patterns in his writing. There always seems to be several chase scenes and the 2 main characters are always getting kidnapped by the bad guys but, then rescued either by the other main character or some other good guys. The relationship between Nina and Eddie continues but, when is the wedding? I do enloy these books as they are quick reads and sometimes you learn some history along the way. I didn't know that there was a sword before Excalibur, fact or fiction? I look forward to the next Wilde & Chase episode - wedding? ( )
  TomWheaton | Aug 10, 2011 |
This is book threee of McDermott's series featuring ex-SAS commando Eddie Chase and his archaeologist girlfriend Nina Wilde. While I am the first to admit I don't mind a bit of mindless fun in my reading, I am beginnning to wonder how long this formula can be sustained. Once again Chase and Wilde are tipped off that a supposedly mythological story is actually historical fact, on this occasion King Arthur's sword Excalibur. Once again they face a power crazed billionaire and his psychotic henchmen. Once again they spend most of the book arguing and threatening to break up with each other, and then at the end, we get to find out if, once again, they succeed and prevent the end of the world! ( )
  cathymoore | Jun 23, 2011 |
This is more Tom Clancy than Dan Brown. The focus isn't much on the myth and legend of Excalibur and whether it might exist and where, but more on super-secret government agencies and advanced technology. It's not a deep story by any means. The characters are stock and the action is violent and non-stop. It's not really a spoiler to say the sword is found halfway through the book, but a twist happens to keep the good guys on the hunt. If you like constant action, give this a try. If you're looking for King Arthur, give this a pass. ( )
  theonlinelibrarian | Nov 1, 2010 |
I like this genre of book, but found this author a little too over the top, formulaic and predictable. No more from this author. ( )
  nossanna | Jun 12, 2010 |

Onvervalste avonturenthriller van de auteur van 'De jacht op Atlantis'De jacht op Atlantis introduceerde de eigenzinnige archeoloog Nina Wilde. Na haar bloedstollende speurtocht naar het mythische koninkrijk Atlantis komt ze ditmaal op het spoor van een minstens zo legendarisch voorwerp. Nina geloofde historicus Bernd Rust aanvankelijk niet toen hij haar vertelde dat hij de exacte locatie zou hebben gevonden van het mythische zwaard Excalibur. Pas als ze ternauwernood met hem ontsnapt aan een aanval door huurlingen is ze overtuigd. Het is overduidelijk dat de mannen erop uit waren zijn onderzoek te stelen.Nina zoekt opnieuw de hulp van voormalig SAS-soldaat Eddie Chase, en samen raken ze verwikkeld in een bloedstollende race tegen de klok, die hen leidt van de woestijnen bij Syrie tot aan de Russische ijsvlaktes. Wie vindt het zwaard als eerste?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553592955, Mass Market Paperback)

A LEGENDARY WEAPON.
A RUTHLESS ASSASSIN.
A PERILOUS HUNT.

Excalibur . . . Legend has it that he who carries King Arthur’s mighty sword into battle will be invincible. But for more than a thousand years, the secret to the whereabouts of this powerful weapon has been lost . . . until now.

Archaeologist Nina Wilde is hoping for a little R&R with her fiancé, former SAS bodyguard Eddie Chase. But the couple’s plans are dashed when a meeting with an old acquaintance propels Nina and Eddie into a razor’s-edge hunt across the globe—battling a team of elite mercenaries who will stop at nothing in order to claim a prize every treasure hunter has coveted since the final days of Camelot. Nina and Eddie must do everything they can to keep the legendary blade from falling into the wrong hands. Because the truth behind the sword’s power—and those who seek it—will not only shock the world but plunge it into a new and more devastating era of war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:53 -0400)

"A legendary weapon. A ruthless assassin. A perilous hunt. Excalibur...Legend has it that he who carries King Arthur's mighty sword into battle will be invincible. But for more than a thousand years, the secret to the whereabouts of this powerful weapon has been lost...until now. Archaeologist Nina Wilde is hoping for a little R&R with her fianc, former SAS bodyguard Eddie Chase. But the couple's plans are dashed when a meeting with an old acquaintance propels Nina and Eddie into a razor's edge hunt across the globe--battling a team of elite mercenaries who will stop at nothing in order to claim a prize every treasure hunter has coveted since the final days of Camelot..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible