Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude by Kevin…

Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude

by Kevin O'Malley

I read the book Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude and I really enjoyed it. This book is completely different than any other story I have read. It involves a boy and a girl trying to tell a story. They fight over how the story should flow and whether it should be more romantic or action packed. They attempt to tell the story together and it takes them a really long time before they can agree on what should happen next. The one downside to this book is that it operates on gender stereotypes. The girl is the one who wants the princesses and love stories while the boy wants the violence and motorcycles. It would have been neat to see the children in the book to defy gender stereotypes. For example, the boy could have tried to have the princess marry the motorcycle dude or the girl could have had the motorcycle dude be disinterested in the princess. I found the plot to be very comedic and it definitely held my interest. Elementary school children would probably find the exchanges between the two main characters to be funny and enjoyable.
  akern3 | Mar 2, 2015 |
This book is a story within a story. The book details the journey of a little boy and a little girl writing a fairytale together. They must take their very different ideas and put them together into one story. The girl begins with a helpless princess who needs to be saved by a handsome prince, the boy then adds a super cool motorcycle dude. The children go back and forth about the events of the story and bicker about what should happen. This book is perfect for all children. It is funny, and interesting to children as well as adults. It appeals to both boys and girls which is difficult for a story to do. In the end the two children find a way to end the story that they both like and stop fighting. It shows an important message that everyones ideas are important and if you listen and combine them you could come up with something great.
  pnieme1 | Mar 2, 2015 |
I really liked this book because it was so different. I thought it was so interesting how there was two very different authors with two very different styles. It was so clever to relate the two characters in the book to the two authors. It was also so interesting the way there was a story being told within a story. It was funny how the girl wanted to tell a story about a rincess and romance, however all the boy was interested in was telling a story about dragons, fire and fighting. It was so comical because of how realistic and accurate the story was between the boy and girl because it is so typical of what a girl and boy at the age are like in real life. The moral of this story was friendship and how two people who like different things can get along. In the end of the story the two learned to share and mix the ideas of both of their stories. The illustrations were so great because they were done by two different people who had completely different drawing techniques. This is a fun story for young children. ( )
  evandy1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because it was interestingly written and engaged the reader. The book has two different illustrators, one illustrating the girl's perspective of the story and another illustrator representing the boy's contribution to the story. I thought the pictures were colorful, eye catching and appropriately fit the story. I liked the overall idea of the story that two people started off having different opinions/ideas at the beginning of the story but as the reader reads on, the two characters learn to put their differences aside and come up with a great story for their school project. This book puts a great emphasis on teamwork and working together despite differences of one another.
However, I did not like what could be an underlying message many young readers could pick up on and that is gender stereotyping. The young girl in the book wanted their to be a princess and ponies in the story, while the young boy talked about smelly giants, lava and motorcycles. I felt that the book did not display a accurate depiction of all girls and boys. It was very one sided and does not give off the message that it is normal for girls to like motorcycles and boys to like ponies. If it were not for the excellent pictures and the resolution of the story, the gender roles would take over and the book would no longer possess that bigger message I mentioned earlier.
  mtrail3 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. This story has two main characters, a boy who likes motorcycles and fighting and a girl who like princesses and love. These characters were arguing throughout the entire book. The boy and girl were doing a project where they had to make up a story together and they could not agree on the story'a plot. The story went from being about a princess to being about a fight and then about love, and so on. The characters seemed like flat and stereotypical characters- the classic "girl liked princesses and ponies" and "boy liked black and motorcycles". I would have liked to see some variance from the typical gender stereotypes. The language in the story was very informal and casual, which would be easy for a younger child to read. But even the font style was different for the boy and the girl. The girl's font was very bubbly and the boy's font was very bold and dark. I enjoy the variation in font throughout the book, but this also seemed very stereotypical. Finally, the plot was not very enjoyable. The boy and girl continued to argue throughout the entire book. I would have preferred if they found a way to overcome their challenges and agree on an ending to their story. Instead, they seemed to agreed to disagree by deciding the princess can have a baby but it must be a boy. The big message of this book seemed to be that boys and girls will disagree, but you have to find a way to work together. I would not recommend this book to a student because the big idea of this book is not something I believe is important for students to know and possibly live by. ( )
  kwhite18 | Feb 9, 2015 |

Once upon a time there was ... a princess who loved all her beautiful ponies, a cool muscle dude who rode an awesome motorcycle. But a giant came and started stealing them! The dude came to fight the ugly, smelly giant with his mighty sword. She turned gold into thread while she cried for Buttercup, her favorite pony. And he took the princess's gold thread for payment The end!

Wait a minute! That's not how it ends!

Oh no?

Once upon a time there was a boy and a girl who had to tell a fairy tale to the class, but they couldn't agree on the story. Will everyone live happily ever after?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:01 -0400)

Cooperatively writing a fairy tale for school, a girl imagines a beautiful princess whose beloved ponies are being stolen by a giant, and a boy conjures up the muscular biker who will guard the last pony in exchange for gold.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,610,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible