Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude by Kevin…

Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude

by Kevin O'Malley

This wonderfully illustrated picture book presents the telling of a fairy tale story told by the point of view of both a boy and girl. Each story is biased by their own expectations and interpretation. The overall main idea of this story is that one's imagination is truly a powerful one. I would definitely recommend this picture book to all readers for it is extremely entertaining! ( )
  arodri13 | May 7, 2014 |
I liked reading the book, Once Upon A Cool Motorcycle Dude. First, I enjoyed this book because it very relatable in that a boy and girl are arguing over how the story should be told. This is very realistic and relatable for children of this age level. I like how this story is told from both a boy and a girl’s perspective which does not allow it to fall under either a boy or girl book category exclusively. Also, I enjoyed that there is contrast in the illustrations between the narrators arguing and what is actively happening in their story. This clearly demonstrates the contrast between the two narrators’ perspectives and the actual storyline. The main idea of this story is that boys and girls have different interests and ideas of how story should be told but can find some common ground. ( )
  kjacob9 | Mar 24, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings about Kevin O’malee’s story “Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude.” The book outlines a story from the point of view of a young boy and a young girl as they collaborate to tell the reader what is happening. Although I believe that the story line is interesting in theory, the book itself is not impressive. The boy is a very stereotypical boy, adding in details about motorcycles, dragons and battles; the girl is a very stereotypical girl, including fairy tale elements with princesses and romance. I did not enjoy this because I do not think that it is true to life for many children. Although some children many relate, I believe that books should display the complexity of human nature, not follow the very specific gender stereotypes. I also thought the book was a little too complex for young readers, but a little too simple for older readers. For example, the illustrations and text in the book differ between the children and the story’s characters, and the two children telling the story add in speech bubbles arguing about the story line as well. Furthermore, the overall message of the book was not clearly conveyed as the story simply ended without any final collaboration. ( )
  kburdg1 | Mar 1, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book because the illustrations, language and the plot. The illustrations were all bright colored and some were very descriptive. For example, the man on the motorcycle had manly features that stuck out to you like a beard. The giant in the story was big and scary, which was enhanced by the illustration of him. This made the story more appealing to the eyes. I liked how the boy and the girl were on each page and had word bubbles coming from them. This made the story seem more conversational, like it was intended to be. The girl’s font was girly font with swirls and the boy’s font was bold and intense. This made it easier to follow who was speaking and easier to understand each perspective. The language helped to develop each perspective as well. The girl called the boy “gross” and the boy was saying, “dude” a lot. This helped you relate to the characters, depending on your gender, because we have all said these at some point in our lives or have seen someone else say these things. The plot was clear and organized even though you had two stories going on at the same time. You would think having the characters interrupt each other would get confusing, but the story was organized well enough to prevent that. Each character had his or her own section of the page and it still corresponded with what the other person was saying. For example, when the girl named the pony Buttercup, the boy intruded saying he didn’t like the name because it was girly. The book was very gender stereotypical, which was the only reason I did not like the story. However, the overall message was that boys and girls can see things differently, but if they mesh their ideas together they can have a good outcome. They both finished their story successfully, even though they had completely different ideas. It really showed the boy’s perspective and girl’s perspective, which is another way to show that everyone has a different perspective or preference on how things should go. ( )
  SaraColvin | Feb 27, 2014 |
“Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude” is a fantastic book, with an even better main message: the message is that with compromise come great things. This is emphasized through the charters in the book. For throughout the beginning of the book they are both telling the same story but from very different perspectives, for instance the girl tells it like a princess fairy tale while the boy tells it like a macho story. Somehow by the end of the book both of these characters are telling the same story with the same ending. For instance they collaborate and allow the princess to go slay the dragon along side the macho man. This shows the reader that even when you work with someone who may not see things the same way as you, you can still come out with something fantastic. To accompany these two prospective the author uses two different illustrators. Which I felt was really cool because when the boy would tell the story the scenery and style of drawing would change and the same went for the girl’s perspective. This really allowed me as the reader to keep track of which voice I was reading the story in and it keept me actively involved and guessing who would say what next. ( )
  KiTiraShorter | Feb 24, 2014 |

Once upon a time there was ... a princess who loved all her beautiful ponies, a cool muscle dude who rode an awesome motorcycle. But a giant came and started stealing them! The dude came to fight the ugly, smelly giant with his mighty sword. She turned gold into thread while she cried for Buttercup, her favorite pony. And he took the princess's gold thread for payment The end!

Wait a minute! That's not how it ends!

Oh no?

Once upon a time there was a boy and a girl who had to tell a fairy tale to the class, but they couldn't agree on the story. Will everyone live happily ever after?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:01 -0400)

Cooperatively writing a fairy tale for school, a girl imagines a beautiful princess whose beloved ponies are being stolen by a giant, and a boy conjures up the muscular biker who will guard the last pony in exchange for gold.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible