Rowboat in a Hurricane: My Amazing Journey…

Rowboat in a Hurricane: My Amazing Journey Across a Changing Atlantic…

by Julie Angus

What an amazing voyage. A well written account of this incredible accomplishment. ( )
  Rayaowen | Jun 28, 2013 |
When they were giving out the adventure gene, I was somewhere else, probably with my nose stuck in a book and although I shun wild and crazy adventures, I do like to read about them. As she obviously does possess the adventure gene, Julie Angus, author of Rowboat in a Hurricane decided to plan her own adventure while her fiancé was off on his expedition to circumnavigate the globe by human power. Her choice was to row across the Atlantic and she went about setting up her own expedition. Along the way fate stepped in and she ended up joining boyfriend, Colin in Moscow. They then biked to Lisbon and from there they launched a sea-going rowboat and rowed across the Atlantic, stopping on St Lucia and then on to Costa Rica. Not resting on their laurels, they then resumed the bike trip and pedalled home to Canada completing both his around the world expedition and her plan of being the first woman to row across the Atlantic.

This book is about the rowing trip and how this couple managed to overcome two hurricanes, a couple of tropical storms, the isolation and constant battling of waves and seasickness to reach a safe port on the other side of the ocean. After spending over five months on a 23 foot rowboat with only each other for company, that these two went on to get married says a lot about their relationship.

Rowboat in a Hurricane is that rare book that offers a great adventure, lots of information about the ecosystem they travelled upon, and had two engaging characters that I could admire and root for. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and hope to read more about them as they continue to lead their adventurous lifestyle and work with organizations around the world to pass their knowledge on to others. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jun 21, 2013 |
This book was a great camping read! I devoured their adventures and was constantly amazed at their endurance and perserverance during such a challenging time. This kind of adventure is something I would never personally do but it was great to read about. I have read Colin's other adventures in Mongolia and the Amazon so I was sure this book from Julie's perspective would be good too. This book contains great details of all aspects of the trip, is well written and difficult to put down because you really do want to see what happens next. This book is suitable for anyone who likes true adventure stories or reading personal memoirs. ( )
  cvosshans | Sep 25, 2009 |
"Will written, insightful and packed with the daily adventures of two people who embark on this incredible mission. Julie is an outstanding adventurer."
added by cvosshans | editCover - Rowboat in a Hurricane, Will Steger (author) (Sep 25, 2009)

"Riveting and poetic..........you will be held under the spell of this non-ancient mariner right through to the finish."
added by cvosshans | editCover - Rowboat in a Hurricane, Kerry Emanuel (author) (Sep 25, 2009)

“Rowboat in a Hurricane… describes with dismay and alarm the amount of trash floating in the water, most of it plastic. …The voyage reinforced Angus’s sense of the interconnection of land and sea, of how the health of life on land depends on the vitality of the oceans. …This book is a testament both to human courage and to human destructiveness. Angus deftly weaves personal detail into the story, fleshing out her small cast of characters.”

BC Bookworld, Nov 18, 2008
added by cvosshans | editD& M Publishers, BC Bookworld

"In 2005-06, Julie Angus rowed nearly 10,000 kilometres across the Atlantic Ocean, becoming the first woman in the world to voyage across it from mainland to mainland in a rowboat."--P. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,582,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible