Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, Book 2) by…

Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, Book 2)

by Pamela Clare

Untamed
3 Stars

While the setting of the conflict between the British and the French in the American Colonies is interesting and original, the story and romance are not as enjoyable as the first book.

Morgan and Amalie's relationship didn't grab me, mainly because the heroine, Amalie, is too naive, innocent and simpering. She lacks the strength of will and backbone that characterized Annie in book one. Morgan is the most level-headed of the MacKinnon brothers and his relationship with Amalie takes on the same flavor - a tad boring with no real tension or chemistry.

Moreover, the prisoner turned undercover spy turned wrongly convicted for treason plot is predictable and too drawn out. Nevertheless, it was great catching up with the secondary characters. Iain and Annie and their growing family as well as Connor and Joseph, the MacKinnon's adopted Mahican brother.

Wentworth is as smarmy as ever but somehow, he still manages to intrigue me. I cannot help wondering if he will ever truly redeem himself.

All in all, Clare is a wonderful storyteller but this is an uninspired follow up to Surrender. Hope that Defiant will be better. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This poor man. Morgan. What can go wrong, did go wrong. He receives life threatening injuries trying to save a friend. He is imprisoned by the enemy. He is to be burned alive by the Native band who hates him. He is caught in bed with the beautiful Amalie and must marry her. Which stops his indecision about just that subject. His beautiful French wife is taken by English to trade back to the French. He is wanted for Treason by both French and English. Thank goodness a romance must have an HEA. It does, a beautiful one with a little help from an almost enemy.
A fantasic book, well thought out, well written and a page turner. ( )
  2Sunny | Apr 6, 2013 |
ABOUT THE BOOK:

REVIEW:

Ms. Clare just can’t seem to help herself! She produces amazing work – each and every time.

This book is number 2 in the MacKinnon brother’s series and if you haven’t read book one, then getcha booty to the store and get it – quick!

Morgan is such a doll in this book and with each page I read, he made my heart swoon. Amalie was such a strong and fierce heroine that had my love for her testing boundaries.

I enjoyed watching these two overcome so many struggles and found while I had to go to work, I wanted to call out sick, just to FINISH IT!

Ms. Clare has delivered such an amazing piece here and it’s one you will pick up time and time again.

Five out of five stars for a job well done! ( )
  Deserie.Comfort | Jun 26, 2012 |
A well done Colonial historical romance, but at times I found it dull, but I do like this series as a whole, still this was not as good as the first in the series.

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2009/05/untamed-by-pamela-clare.html ( )
  ktleyed | May 27, 2009 |
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Dec08

Want to know a secret? My least favored romance genre is historic American. Why? I have no idea! I’ve wondered about it time and again, but still haven’t been able to figure it out…they just don’t ‘send’ me. I say this as an explanation for why I was a bit worried about reviewing “Untamed”, but with Pamela Clare as the author, I really should have known better than to be concerned. She managed to make even my least favorite genre exciting and interesting.

Amalie is a mixed blood child of a French father and half-blood Abenaki Indian mother. When she was just two her mother’s died and her father sent her to a convent where she’s spent the last 16 years. After only a few months with her father at the fort where he served in the French army, he was killed in battle. Now she’s alone and under pressure to marry but none of the men have caught her eye…until an injured enemy is brought under her care.

Morgan MacKinnon is a warrior forced to fight for the British or hang…along with all his brothers. So they formed the MacKinnon Rangers and tales of their ferocity in battle have made them feared by their enemies. So when Morgan is injured and captured, he prefers to die rather than chance giving away any secrets that could cause harm to his brothers. Yet, it’s his nurse with her innocent, yet hungry eyes that somehow has him refusing to give in or give up. Now he’s caught between the woman he loves and the brothers he won’t abandon.

What a man! What an enduring love. Pamela Clare can pen some of the hottest, non-erotica love scenes I’ve read. And her characters seem to leap off the page and jump straight into my imagination where I have no problems seeing and recognizing them. Two characters stuck between two impossible choices yet willing to risk it all for love…now that’s a romance.

It would be easy to categorize this as a simple historical, but it’s more than that. The author probes into the prejudices and preferences of the times, nationalities, and players involved to provide a peek into stormy time in American history. I also found it fascinating that although it’s ‘American’ history, the main players are French and Scottish! The action is rough and tumble, just like life in those times, and the social mores are reflected in the attitudes of all the players. The story progresses smoothly and draws the reader in until you realize it’s almost over.

I’m glad I read “Untamed” by Pamela Clare. This story just cements Clare as an author who apparently can write just about anything and I’ll find it readable! This is the second book of a trilogy and I’ll likely end up reading the other two books just to see what happens to the rest of the MacKinnon’s. So if you like this genre…don’t miss this one. And if you’re not a big fan of American historicals, this one may just prove the exception. ( )
  jjmachshev | Feb 4, 2009 |

After he's captured by the French and threatened with being burned alive by their Abanaki allies, Morgan MacKinnon becomes a spy within their camp, never realizing just how treacherous his conflicting loyalties will be when he falls in love with an innocent yet alluring mademoiselle.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible