Never Cry Werewolf by Heather Davis

Never Cry Werewolf

by Heather Davis

1901162,147 (3.34)4

I thought this book would be a retelling, or at least pay tribute to, the "Little Red Riding Hood" fairy tale. I was mistaken. The story was okay, the writing okay, the characters really just all okay. Nothing too special here -- but nothing too awful either. ( )
  leirali | Feb 18, 2012 |
The dustjacket blurb for Never Cry Werewolf claims that the author "didn't set out to write a book about werewolves", and I believe it. The male lead is a werewolf, but this is so irrelevant to the plot that I feel cheated. It's literally just an obstacle that some vials of Liquid MacGuffin are needed to deal with. You could replace it with any random real or imagined chronic disease, tweak the plot a bit, and have the same story. I'm not even sure this book belongs on my blog. But it does have a werewolf, it's advertised as a werewolf story, and I've read it already, so here we go...

Read the full review at http://luplun.blogspot.com
  LupLun | Sep 9, 2010 |
I really liked this book and enjoyed the characters of Shelby and Austin. Shelby's mother died and her dad got remarried to every one's nightmare of a stepmother. And Austin is the sexy guy we all had from our high school, the outcast, and the rugged tough guy with secrets no one knows.
My favorite moment with Austin and Shelby is in chapter five. When Shelby and her friend Ariel are the last ones out of their camp and Austin raises his eyebrows at her. I think this part of the book made Shelby and Austin. You know they like each other, and just him raising his eyebrows at her shows that he was watching for her.
This was a great read. Fast paced and kept me entertained until the end. ( )
  trishalynn0708 | Jun 17, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Shelby follows her heart...and it gets her into trouble. This time she can't talk her way out of getting caught after curfew kissing a hottie. Her step-mother is insisting on sending her to summer camp.

But it's not the leisurely camp with sports or canoe rides down the river - this is brat camp. It's where the rich send their children for hard work, therapy, and to learn discipline. It's basically the worst possible way to spend your summer.

Shelby, at least, isn't going to the worst of these camps. While talking to the rest of the campers, she realizes that she's going to have to work hard at not shooting off her mouth this summer. Just when she thinks she might be able to take care of herself, a boy appears.

He's not just any boy, he's a Brit who wears a leather coat in the summer heat. In an instant, Shelby 's summer goes from bad to worse. Not only does Austin make her swoon, but he's got a secret - a deep, dark secret that would ruin his family if anyone found out the truth.

Once she recovers from the shock, Shelby does her best to help him. But will helping him land her in scalding hot water?

NEVER CRY WEREWOLF is the debut novel from Buzz Girl Heather Davis, and it's a treat. The cover first drew my attention to this book, but the story doesn't let go. The paranormal element adds to the hot summer of potential scandal, rich teens, and romance. ( )
  GeniusJen | Jun 13, 2010 |
It was like a bad movie in the beginning. I did not like the blend of the werewolf story and the teen problem/therapy idea. It didn't flow nicely at all and was really jumpy. Everything seemed so unlikely; honestly, a boot camp in the desert and Austing chooses to go there? The best part was whne they weren't in camp (Austin and Shelby) and the whole episode with the cougar or whatever it was. It gripped my attention, but it was still bad. The beginning was too slow and the the end too fast. The plot just wasn't that well developed and needed some work. AHS/EK
  edspicer | Apr 14, 2010 |

Forced to attend a camp for teens with behavior problems, sixteen-year-old Shelby Locke's attempts to follow the rules go astray when she meets a handsome British werewolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,310,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible