Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

Academy 7

by Anne Osterlund

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Whilst set in the future, it wasn't overly sci fi which suited my tastes, and the descriptions of Dane's planet were extremely vivid. I found Dane and Aerin to be strong, likable and very believable characters, and while the book was not as romantic as the cover suggests, I did enjoy watching Dane and Aerin's relationship develop as they gradually learned to trust each other with their secrets. I only hope Anne Osterlund intends to write a sequel because I want to find out how the two teenagers survive their second year at Academy 7. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Aerin Renning and Dane Madousin struggle as incoming students at the most exclusive academy in the Universe, both hiding secrets that are too painful to reveal, not realizing that those very secrets link them together.
  lkmuir | Dec 9, 2015 |
Two young misfits, each with their own secrets, are thrown together in a futuristic boarding school.

I was surprised to discover that this book was not the middle of some series. There isn't any introduction - which isn't a big deal, since the universe is described pretty thoroughly throughout the story - but nor is there much conclusion. It is an interesting story in a believable universe, but it seems incomplete and ultimately unsatisfying. Recommended only if you don't mind being left hanging. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jul 17, 2015 |
Engaging and enjoyable. I think perhaps fans of the Hunger Games might particularly enjoy this -- Aerin reminds me a bit of Katniss, although there's less pulse-pounding adventure here.

I find it interesting that neither the cover and the back copy make any reference to this being a science fiction novel. If I hadn't known it was, I might have expected a romance in more of a fantasy or historical setting. And while there is romance here, it really doesn't seem to be the main point of the book, which I appreciated. I loved seeing the two main characters come to understand one another gradually and naturally, rather than seeing them instantly fall in love and then agonize over it for the rest of the book. I also enjoyed the school setting and the unraveling of the central mysteries. I look forward to more from this author.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I really liked Academy 7. I liked getting to watch Aerin and Dane grow as people, and as friends. I also loved how much I grew to care about them. I hated Dane's father right along with Dane, and worried with Aerin that someone would discover her secrets. What a good story! ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 29, 2014 |
For Maria -

who defines the word friendship

And for Andy, Filipp, and Marcus,

and all the other young men who push buttons and boundaries and have the potential to change the universe
Aerin tried to ignore the bloodstain on the control panel of the Fugitive .

With a past too terrible to speak of, and a bleak, lonely future ahead of her, Aerin Renning is shocked to find she has earned a place at the most exclusive school in the universe. Aerin excels at Academy 7 in all but debate, where Dane Madousin—son of one of the most powerful men in the Alliance— consistently outtalks her. Fortunately Aerin consistently outwits him at sparring. They are at the top of their class until Dane jeopardizes everything and Aerin is unintentionally dragged down with him. When the pair is given a joint punishment, an unexpected friendship—and romance—begins to form. But Dane and Aerin both harbor dangerous secrets, and the two are linked in ways neither of them could ever have imagined. . . .

Anne Osterlund is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible