The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

The Demon's Lexicon (2009)

by Sarah Rees Brennan

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey (midnightbex)
    midnightbex: As richly told as the Demon's Lexicon, 'Guardian of the Dead' incorporates Maori lore and Greek legends into a well written and engaging fantasy.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    Prom Dates from Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore (KATandHEN)
    KATandHEN: Supernatural shenanegans with snappy dialogue.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (Anonymous user, lquilter)
    lquilter: Readers of either the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman, and the Demon's Lexicon trilogy by Sarah Rees Brennan, will find much to enjoy in both series -- both of which likely would appeal to fans of "Supernatural". Both series of books feature a pair of brothers, essentially orphaned, with traumatic parental relationships, and one especially sought after by a demonic race; and a lot of angst and sarcastic quippiness. Of the two series, the Brennan series has a much more YA vibe, albeit an older YA vibe; and the Thurman series has a more urban fantasy for adults vibe.… (more)

Really good. I liked the relationship between the brothers and the twist. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |
Love and hate, fear and courage have no meaning for Nick. Chased by sorcerers and their slaved demons all his life, he has grown so used to being on the run until found, and then fighting and moving again, he has no time to indulge in such useless thing as feelings. Only his brother Alan can keep him grounded in reality, forcing him to attend school and lecturing him in the meaning of love and friendship.

Alan, three years older than Nick, has taken care of him and of their half-crazed mother since the day 7 years ago when a sorcerer killed their father. But now the sorcerers are gathering in mass to attack them and, this time, Alan may not be able to protect him.

A smart plot and a flawed, yet awkwardly compelling main character make this fast paced book a fascinating read.

I loved the relationship between the brothers and the young boy's struggle to understand the world he finds so puzzling. ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
I waited for this book to come out for at least a year, and when I finally got it (tonight!) I started reading it and didn't stop until it was done. It is insanely enthralling.

This is the first paragraph: "The pipe under the sink was leaking again. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that Nick kept his favorite sword under the sink." This is our introduction to Nick Ryves, a sixteen year old who has been on the run from magicians his entire life. He and his older brother Alan (with a crippled leg and a habit of caring about pitiful cases) have only themselves to depend on--their mother is mad, and their father was killed years ago. Desperate to free his family and his friends from demons and magicians both, Alan comes up with plan that could kill them all as easily as save them.

Nick has a fascinating POV, and the relationships between characters are believable and drawn with a deft touch. Brennan has a great ear for dialog, and uses humor to great affect. Every character has motivations, moralities, pasts and personalities--the depth therein never overwhelms the action, but makes it feel real, instead. The action scenes feel frantic and alive, and the twists and turns near the end...damn. Worth reading the entire book just for the showdown. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This was amazing. I couldn't say if I loved Nick, but I was attached to him from page one. The deeper I got into his mind, the more involved I became, until it was hard to put it down. It's amazing how deep she was able to go with him- especially as most writers rely on their talent to make readers feel what the character is feeling, and Nick's main is murderous rage. Not exactly something you want to impose on your readers. Yet... I loved it. The simple way he viewed the world, with a few basic truths and nothing else mattering, everything. It was amazing, and I have no idea how she did it. I'm going to be waiting for more from this author. With talent like this... it would be worth the wait. ( )
  jerenda | Jan 20, 2016 |
(Re-posted from http://theturnedbrain.blogspot.com/)

So the short version of this review is that if you like the TV show 'Supernatural,' you're pretty much gaurenteed to enjoy 'The Demon's Lexicon.' Which is not to suggest that Sarah Rees Brennan's debut novel is in any way a rip off of the show, it's just that the two share a few key ingredients. Demons and magic and all that but mostly? Mostly, it's about the brothers. Lying to save each other, weapon wielding, monster slaying, angst ridden and really, really pretty brothers.

There are just too few books out there that really explore the relationship between siblings. I'm inclined to think this is because it's just easier to get a reader invested in a romantic relationship. The whole will they/won't they thing doesn't really work with siblings, it's a whole different dynamic and it can be hard to do well.

For a start, siblings can do really awful things to each other that would spell the end of most romances. They can lie, cheat, steal and maim and still love each other, because it's family you know? Nick and Alan, the brothers in 'Demon's Lexicon,' are definitely not strangers to hurting each other, but the reader never doubts that they'd do anything for each other.

It's impressive, how effectively Brennan conveys their bond, because her POV character, Nick, is a long tall glass of emotionally stunted. Seriously. The kid is about as caring as a sharp sword, and colder than ice. Which you might think would make for some dark reading, but there is a real warmth to this book. This can mostly be attributed to Brennan's prose, which practically dances across the page and is full of wit and, yes, warmth. There is a larger than life quality to her writing that many books aspire to but few achieve.

And in any case Nick's emotional blankness was my favourite part of the book, weirdly enough. I don't think I've ever encountered another character like him. He's not "evil" or anything, but he's certainly not good either. Mostly, he's just really different. And its refreshing. And Brennan definitely has fun with him. For so long he's only let his brother get close to him, and Alan gets him. But the start of the book introduces two new characters into Nicks life, Mae and Jamie. Watching Nick struggle to deal with these intrusion was equal parts hysterical and moving.

The plot hinges around a magical charm, stolen some years ago from an evil magician by Alan and Nick's mother. I say evil magician, but in this world all magicians are evil and get their powers by dealing with demons. Nick and Alan have devoted their lives to staying one step ahead of the magicians, but then Mae and Jamie (another set of well drawn siblings) came crashing into their lives and mess everything up. I think this is a case of an ok plot being made awesome by the characters. Nick, Alan, Jamie and Mae are so well realised and three dimensional and just so damn fun to read about that any plot meh-ness passed by unnoticed.

And while a lot of people claimed that they saw the ending of this book coming a mile off, I really didn't! For me it was one of those really cool endings which leaves you stunned but when you think about it makes total sense. ( )
  MeganDawn | Jan 18, 2016 |
For Mum and Dad - I've always thought that raising a child must be one of the scariest things in the world. You never know when they're going to live on ketchup, run away to America, or badmouth you on television. Well, in case I ever try that last one, you can display this to the world: I'm happy, I'm healthy, and I love you. I wrote a book!

You didn't do so badly. (And the ketchup was delicious.)

A teenage boy (Nick) and his older brother (Alan) have been dealing with their insane mother, and supernatural foes (demons), all their lives. While helping two other teenagers, Alan is marked by a demon, for possession and eventually death. Nick will do anything to help the brother who has always looked after him -- including digging into family history, to understand why his mother hates and fears him.

Sixteen-year-old Nick and his family have battled magicians and demons for most of his life, but when his brother, Alan, is marked for death while helping new friends Jamie and Mae, Nick's determination to save Alan leads him to uncover a devastating secret.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,731,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible