The Awakening by Marley Gibson

The Awakening

by Marley Gibson

Not a bad story with some good potential. Sadly, it ended up frustrating me more than interested me. I can think of several that would love this book but it was not for me.

Lets start with the good, before I scare anyone off. There was a very good blend of characters with very diverse personalities. At first they seem very stereotypical but some do start to branch out from how they first appear. The ghosthunting research put into this was very good. Imagine the TAPS team with a ghost psychic. That sums everyone up. It was a nice, light, quick read that can easily draw a reader into the series.

My problems with this book: The text speak!!! I hate hearing people use this in speech but thought, action, speech and more is WAY too much! If the story was not drawing this would have killed me for continuing the book. Too many teens cannot spell as is and I feel this book is a bad influence on the English language. Also I had a problem with how realistic this book is, the psychic aspect meeting the religious aspects. I can accept one of the other but the combination, in the manner in how it is done is offensive to me.

Overall, not for me. I even tried (and failed to finish) book two of the series. Nope. Now some will like it. If you like the show Ghost Hunters, check this out. Just be warned of horrible writing styles. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

Honestly, I'm struggling while writing this review. I wrote out an entire one, then I decided that it didn't say what I needed it to. And I need it to say that while I enjoyed The Awakening, it's just not a book that I can see myself reading over and over. Ugh. I don't know how to write this review at all...

It's not that I didn't like The Awakening...I did to a point. But all of my thoughts on this novel totally conflict, and I can't sort through them enough to write a comprehensible review. They all demand to be spoken, so prepare for a long bout of random thoughts.

I like the way that Marley Gibson writes, because it seems so fresh and unique when you're reading it. But I don't truly understand why all of her characters are so very sweet, yet they can all cuss up a pretty good storm. I mean, no F-bombs or anything, but they really can tell you how they're feeling with a few choice words.

The ghost hunting was interesting, but a lot of the time it felt like the scenes were a bit forced. For instance, in one of the scenes near the beginning, Kendall tells someone that all the windows of the place they're investigating have been painted shut since 1970. Later in the book, they contact a spirit who's a bit fiesty...and he OPENS the windows. This is either supposed to show amazing strength on his part, or I'm supposed to forget that those windows were painted shut. Either way, I don't really get it.

Also, Kendall and Jason fall into "like like" a little too quickly for my taste. It honestly seemed like they'd just met, had an argument, then they go on a hunt and BAM. They start kissing at a completely inopportune moment. That just kills it for me. I could have lived without their little hormone/adrenaline filled moment. They were great as friends, so I don't really understand why they had to become more.

As for Kendall's other friends, I did enjoy them, but I felt like all of their interactions and fights and stuff should have been more capitalized on. They fight, then they all make up so quickly that it made my head hurt a bit. I wish that we could have seen more development on all of their parts, and maybe less simplistic relationships. Because anyone can tell you that relationships can be very trying.

The ghost hunting part WAS interesting, but I think that I was focused so much on the characters that I missed a lot of that, and I found myself skimming pages a couple times. I liked the technical points that were added to the hunting, but other than that I found it unmemorable.

All in all, I did enjoy parts of The Awakening, but it just didn't have the impact on me that it could have. ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Jan 12, 2013 |
I am totally into paranormal things and if you are too then this is a series for you! Lots of paranormal activity as well as a little romance, definitely an amazing series to read. ( )
  Ilana_Weiss | Jul 4, 2012 |
The Book Ghost Huntress by Marley Gibson was very weird and good. The tail end of this book was strange. This book was good because fist of all she moves from Chicago and moves to Radisson Georgia in this haunted house with a black mysterious cat and friends. This book had ghost like no tomorrow and she also learns that she is spycic. the tail end was really weird. I am not going to tell you that part though.
there are alot of wierd things like in this cemitery there was a ghost there and the guy died in war in that spot. now she was sitting on a bench and she saw what looked like an army marching over the bridge and down the road.
now i wouild love to read the rest of the books in the series and i hope you would like to read this book too.

ctmssago | Sep 9, 2011 |
Kendall has trouble sleeping at her new house. Going from noisy Chicago to eerily quiet Georgia is just too much. So her dad buys her a sleep machine to help sleep. And that's when she starts hearing voices.
It sky rockets from there. She starts seeing and hearing ghosts, and she wants to help them. With her new high school friends and her new psychic to help her recognize her powers, they are going to go ghost hunting, and find out what lurks in the haunted streets of Radisson.
I was so so upset I didn't enjoy this book. It has everything I normally want: Paranormal, ghost hunting, romance, new school, parents don't approve. All a great mixture...or so I wanted it to be.
I think it all boiled down to Kendall's voice. I felt she was very whiny, talked about the guy she liked too much and described him with "Dasani-blue eyes" (how romantic), she used way too many pop culture references, and it...got to me.
I did enjoy how creative it was. When they were out finding ghosts, or getting ready to go it was cool.
I enjoyed her friends, the girl who speaks French when she gets nervous and the really smart Southern chick with an entire paranormal encyclopedia in her brain. It was fun and the interaction between them made me smile.
The fact the author went through so much research really shows dedication and I liked that. And I learned a thing or two about the real ghost hunters and kind of admire them more because of it.
This had a lot of quirky, cute moments in it. I think it would be a great read for a younger audience, but for me it just wasn't my cup of tea. ( )
  lesleykj84 | Nov 30, 2010 |
Unfortunately, this book fails to evoke more than mild creepiness, as most scenes involving ghosts are interspersed with extremely dry and detailed descriptions of ghost-hunting equipment and procedures. The trite, clichéd conversations are peppered with popular-culture references that will date the book quickly, and the characters exhibit overblown reactions and frequent, inexplicable shifts of mood and opinion.

The first in a trilogy. Get out your tape recorders, crystals, and extra batteries— you’re about to go where our world meets the spirit world.

Psychic Kids, Paranormal State, Haunting Evidence—these and countless other television shows are making believers out of millions of people: Ghosts exist, and they’re living right beside us. For centuries, individuals have been trying to prove the existence of ghosts. But without hard evidence, it’s been difficult to make the case. But now as science and technology have progressed, ghost hunters have been able to use scientific means, along with more traditional psychic tools, to make their case. Photographs, video recordings, and sound recordings are all producing some amazing results.
In this new series, Ghost Huntress, meet Kendall Moorehead, a seemingly typical teen. When her family moves from Chicago to the small historical town of Radisson, Georgia, her psychic abilities awaken. She’s hearing, feeling, and seeing things that seem unbelievable at first, but with the help of the town psychic, Kendall is able to come to terms with her newly emerging gift. So, together with her new BFF, Celia, Kendall forms a ghost hunting team. They’ve got all the latest technology. They’ve got Kendall for their psychic. Now they’re going to clean up Radisson of its less savory spirits.
The story is fiction. The science is real. Welcome to a new reality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:59 -0400)

Moving from Chicago to tiny Radisson, Georgia, awakens latent psychic powers in sixteen-year-old Kendall, who finds herself communicating with ghosts and forming a ragtag ghost hunting team to research and battle a belligerent spirit that is trying to harm her father.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,009,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible