Instructions by Neil Gaiman

Instructions (2010)

by Neil Gaiman

Recently added bybooksbikesbeers, private library, annaiv, iveyrock, LokiAesir, Draigsffau

This book is so simple, yet so imaginative. It makes you want to write a story to fill in all the vague instructions. It's a perfect outline for a dozen great stories that you can create. It's intriguing and charming. I loved the illustrations! ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
I read this piece of Neil Gaiman from his book [b:Fragile Things|16788|Fragile Things|Neil Gaiman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348315900s/16788.jpg|3262727]. And it's one of my favorites.

As I perused the shelves in a bookstore today, I saw an open copy of this book & read it.
It is simply about instructions when you get there, in a fairy tale. The illustration makes it more vivid to the mind of the reader. Maybe because if you read it piece by piece with illustrations, the words and its meanings are more emphasize & the images etch more. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
'Instructions' is written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Charles Vess. The picture book tells how to go on your own journey. Gaiman accumulates the classic standards read in fairy tales and gives instructions to guide us on our journey. ( )
  Jtreed | Mar 23, 2016 |
52 months - This felt like an illustrated walk through for an 80's text adventure game like Zork. The illustrations are well done but the "instructions" didn't really do much for us. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A beautiful poem and one that I didn't even know came in its own book format for I had found it hidden in a collection of stories of which I couldn't remember. Fortunately a few months back my sister made mention of the poem while finding me and ordering me this book.

Although it takes on the ring and taste of a fairytale instruction manual the book's words can also be used to understand the wisdom of the world that we live in. It is beautiful for those who can read and for those who may only be able to see the pictures. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Terri Windling, for going on ahead and illuminating the twisting path through the wild wood. —CV

For Ellen Kushner & Delia Sherman, for coming back and telling us what they found. —NG
Touch the wooden gate in the wall you never saw before,
Do not be jealous of your sister:
know that diamonds and roses
are as uncomfortable when they tumble from one's lips as toads and frogs:
colder, too, and sharper, and they cut.

Go on a journey to unknown, but strangely familiar, lands and then travel home again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible