The Diary of Samuel Pepys {1661) by Samuel…

The Diary of Samuel Pepys {1661) (1970)

by Samuel Pepys

120None99,693 (4.47)None

Still impressed by the second volume in the series...

Pepys does not like the French
10 JANUARY. (...) So to Mrs. Hunts, where I find a Frenchman, a lodger of hers, at dinner; and just as I came in was kissing my wife, which I did not like, though there could not be any hurt in it. (...)

A still enigmatic passage about a she-monkey, unless he refers to Elizabeth?
18 JANUARY. (...) At home found all well, but the Monkey loose, which did anger me; and so I did strike her till she was almost dead, that they might make her faste again. (...)

Pepys likes to be spat at by nice women
28 JANUARY. (...) And here, I sitting, behind in a dark place, a lady spat backward upon me by a mistake, not seeing me. But after seeing her to be a very pretty lady, I was not troubled at it at all. (...)

My Lord of Norwich has fun in making cry a 3-year-old prince
3 FEBRUARY. (...) Among other discourse, I observed one story, how my Lord of Norwich at a public audience before the King of France made the Duke of Anjou cry by making ugly faces as he was stepping to the King, but undiscovered. (...)

Luellin makes Pepys dream
25 FEBRUARY. (...) He told me one of the prettiest stories; how Mr. Blurton, his friend that was with him at my house three or four days ago, did go with him the same day from my house to the Fleece taverne by Guild hall, and there (by some pretence) got the mistress of the house, a very pretty woman, into their company. And by the by, Luellin calling him Doctor, she thought that he really was so, and did privately discover her disease to him — which was only some ordinary infirmity belonging to women. And he proffering her physic — she desired him to come some day and bring it, which he did; and withal hath the sight of her thing, and did handle it — and he swears the next time that he will do more. (...)

Pepys likes pretty little girls
11 APRIL. (...) By and by we came to two little girls keeping cowes; and I saw one of them very pretty, so I had a minde to make her aske my blessing. And telling that I was her godfather, she asked me innocently whether I was not Ned Wooding, and I said that I was; so she kneeled down and very simply cried, "Pray, godfather, pray to God to bless me" — which made us very merry and I gave her twopence. (...)

Pepys has a funny way to treat a cold
14 JUNE. (...) I was in great pain and so went home by coach to bed, and went not to the office at all. And by keeping myself warme, I broke wind and so came to some ease. (...)

Pepys has mixed feelings
6 JULY. Waked this morning with news, brought me by a messenger on purpose, that my Uncle Robert is dead — and died yesterday. So I rose, sorry in some respect; glad in my expectations in another respect. (...)

Pepys is tender-hearted
5 AUGUST. (...) But was fain to stay a great while at Stanston because of the rayne; and there borrowed a coat of a man for 6d., and so he rode all the way, poor man, without any. (...)

An extremely captious grave-digger
11 SEPTEMBER. (...) And did show me how a dog that he hath doth kill all the Cattes that come thither to kill his pigeons, and doth afterwards bury them. And doth it with so much care that they shall be quite covered, that if but the tip of the tail hangs out, he will take up the cat again and dig the hole deeper — which is very strange. And he tells me he doth believe that he hath killed above 100 cats. (...)

Pepys dislikes the French
30 SEPTEMBER. (...) And endeed, we do naturally all love the Spanish and hate the French. (...) So when I went to the French house, where I observe still that there is no men in the world of a more insolent spirit where they do well or before they begin a matter, and more abject if they do miscarry, then these people are. (...)

Pepys has funny dreams
3 DECEMBER. (...) And then I dreamt that I had one of my testicles swelled, and in such pain that I waked with it; and had a great deal of pain there a very great while, till I fell asleep again; and such apprehensions I had of it that when I rose and trussed up myself, thinking that it had been no dream — till in the daytime I found myself very well at ease and remembered that I did dream so; and did dream that Mr. Creed was with me and that I did complain to him of it, and he said he had the same pain in his left which I had in my right stone — which pleased me much to remember.

Pepys does not like to squander his money
30 DECEMBER. (...) and I stayed at the Miter, wither I had invited all my old acquaintance of the Exchequer to a good Chine of beef — which with three barrels of oysters and three pullets and plenty of wine and mirth, was our dinner. (...) and here I made them a foolish promise to give them one this day twelvemonth, and so for ever while I live. But I do not entend it. (...) ( )
2 vote Pepys | Apr 30, 2008 |
Pepys kept detailed accounts of his life - from the high court governmental circles to which he had access by virtue of his position to the low and common husband at home with his wife and their servant. His high, important connections make interesting reading as glimpses into the human and personal workings of history. But for me, the most interesting parts are the everyday details, the minutiae of daily life. The technology and specific tools change, but human nature - its needs, wants, hopes, and dreams are persistent. ( )
  AlexTheHunn | Oct 5, 2007 |

Samuel Pepysprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bright, MynorsEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Latham, RobertEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, WilliamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0520225805, Paperback)

Samuel Pepys is as much a paragon of literature as Chaucer and Shakespeare. His Diary is one of the principal sources for many aspects of the history of its period. In spite of its significance, all previous editions were inadequately edited and suffered from a number of omissions--until Robert Latham and William Matthews went back to the 300-year-old original manuscript and deciphered each passage and phrase, no matter how obscure or indiscreet.
The Diary deals with some of the most dramatic events in English history. Pepys witnessed the London Fire, the Great Plague, the Restoration of Charles II, and the Dutch Wars. He was a patron of the arts, having himself composed many delightful songs and participated in the artistic life of London. His flair for gossip and detail reveals a portrait of the times that rivals the most swashbuckling and romantic historical novels. In none of the earlier versions was there a reliable, full text, with commentary and notation with any claim to completeness. This edition, first published in 1970, is the first in which the entire diary is printed with systematic comment. This is the only complete edition available; it is as close to Pepys's original as possible.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:34 -0400)

10 wanted1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible