Der Fledermausmann by Jo Nesboe

Der Fledermausmann (original 1997; edition 2009)

by Jo Nesboe, Jo Nesboe (Author), Heikko Deutschmann (Sprecher), Günther Frauenlob (Übersetzer)

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Der Fledermausmann
Authors:Jo Nesboe
Other authors:Jo Nesboe (Author), Heikko Deutschmann (Sprecher), Günther Frauenlob (Übersetzer)
Info:Hörbuch Hamburg (2009), Audio CD

The Bat by Jo Nesbø (1997)

English (126)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (145)
So, my spouse dragged me to Florida for a week. Her sister lives in a motel, just a block from Hollywood Beach, and they had a vacancy. So we joined her.

The motel is sort of U-shaped, with a central courtyard. Many of the tenants come for weeks, if not months, at a time. One such tenant was a woman of a certain age, perhaps slightly more so than I even, named Judy. Judy was from Michigan, and quite proud to have graduated from Michigan State Univ., which was also my father's alma mater. Anyway, Judy wandered around all day with a book in her hand. She never seemed to make any progress reading the book, but it was her constant companion. [In all fairness to Judy, she did, finally, finish up that book after about 7 days].

Anyway, this particular book was the one Judy was reading. I'm not sure why I decided to give it a go, but as I could get it in kindle format from my library, I decided to give it a go. [amazing how one can now check books out from a library in Massachusetts while one is staying at a motel in Florida—at least if one reads on kindle].

So, we have a Norwegian detective named Harry Hole. The name is Hoo-leh, and not to be pronounced in any way that implies an orifice of some kind. Harry will settle for Holy, which is what he was called by the Australians in this book.

Yup, Australians. Harry was sent off from Norway to Australia to help with an investigation of a B-level Norwegian celebrity, Inger Holter, who was brutally murdered in Australia. He is paired up with Andrew Kensington, an Australian policeman who features Aboriginal bloodlines. During the course of the investigation, Harry strikes up a relationship with a red-headed, Swedish bar maid, Brigitta Enquist. They come across a number of people in the drug trade, including Evans White, who appears to have had a fling with Inger. Then, there's Otto Rechtnagel, a gay clown, Toowoomba, an Aboriginal boxer, and Joseph a drunk who spends his days in Green Park, but who was once a sky diver.

So, we have quite a variety of characters, people getting beat up, getting drunk, and being murdered. It was a vaguely interesting book, but not my cup of tea for some reason. I have no idea why an elderly, single woman from Michigan would find the story engaging.

Oh yeah, as for the title, it seems that the bat is a symbol for death in the Aboriginal culture. Well, there was plenty of death in the book. I'm not sure I'll bother with any more books in this series, although a number of the folks at GoodReads claim this book is by far the weakest volume in the series. So, perhaps another book in the series would be worth a fling. We'll see.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Isn’t it amazing how ideas overlap in what we happen to be reading? I read this while reading Thirst, poems by Mary Oliver. The overlap: “What’s the point?” ( p.225) and the coda: “Is this all there is?” (p.344).
I’m on to the next in the series. I want to see how Officer Holy answers these questions.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Il pipistrello è il primo episodio della serie dell'investigatore Harry Hole, gialli scritti dal novergese Jo Nesbo.
Questa storia è ambientata in Australia dove viene rivenuto un cadavere di una ragazza norvegese violentata e strangolata. La polizia locale chiama in auto Hole, un poliziotto vecchio stile norvegese.
Hole si integra perfettamente nell'ambiente australiano e, ovviamente, scoprirà segreti e misteri delle persone che incontrerà sul suo cammino fino ad arrivare alla soluzione del caso.
Posso dire che mi aspettavo di più da questo giallo, soprattutto un po' più di azione e meno momenti "morti". C'è davvero una buona fetta di libro (forse la metà) che potrebbe tranquillamente essere evitata o almeno riassunta in periodi molto più brevi.
Comunque non mi fermerò al primo romanzo della serie perchè leggendo in giro ho capito che i successivi rispecchiano la seconda parte del libro che mi ha preso molto di più della prima! ( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
I’d previously read The Snowman and was somewhat curious about Hole’s start. After having read two of these books, though, I doubt I’ll continue on with the series. There’s something quite pathetic about Hole’s recklessness, and there isn’t enough stability and goodness to balance him out for me. I’d rather not spend my time reading about people destroying their own and other’s lives and yet still positioned as somewhat of a hero. The characterization just isn’t enough to keep me reading.

Overall, this was a solid mystery. The cultural aspects weren’t handled as badly as they could have been, though they certainly could’ve been better. It was an interesting read, but for me the series stops here. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
Good, fast-paced mystery with a typically imperfect lead character. ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 23, 2019 |

Nesbø, Joprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It rose into space, its wings spread wide, then fell, its wings now a fluttering cape wrapped tight about the body of a man. (Frank Miller).
Noe var galt.
Något var fel.
Something was wrong.

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible