The Bat by Jo Nesbo

The Bat (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo (Author), Don Bartlett (Translator)

Member:ElizaJane
Title:The Bat
Authors:Jo Nesbo (Author)
Other authors:Don Bartlett (Translator)
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Review Copies
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, randomhouse, australia, crime, norway, serial killer, read2012

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

English (65)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (80)
Beware, once you read this first book of the Harry Hole series, you will want to read the rest-immediately. So far I've read three and have not been disappointed. ( )
  jcmontgomery | Nov 8, 2014 |
This story starts off slowly, and in some way the reader is as confused as the protagonist, in a new country, speaking a foreign language, trying to solve the murder of a Norwegian in Australia. But it comes together, and nothing in the first part is wasted.

Harry is a classic damaged detective of the Raymond Chandler style, as filtered through a Norwegian sensibility, and seeing him in a warm, sunny, optimistic culture accents his differences. Of course, the plot tends to reinforce those differences, otherwise it wouldn't qualify as ScandiNoir, which it most definitely is. ( )
  ffortsa | Oct 29, 2014 |
After reading Cockroaches, I had to go back to the beginning and find out where Harry Hole came from. Reading this one answered that question.

There is plenty of suspense and red herrings as Harry travels to Australia to investigate the murder of a Norwegian woman who had been a minor television personality.

I think I'm done with Harry Hole.....this just isn't a genre that appeals to me. ( )
  tangledthread | Oct 7, 2014 |
Having read two of the later Harry Hole novels by Jo Nesbo, I decided to go back to the beginning. That decision shows just how much Nesbo has improved as a crime fiction writer since the early days. The plot twists and turns are in evidence but the neat way in which his later novels help the reader to keep track is less well developed. Nesbo writes complicated plots and unless you read "The Bat" in a day or two (which is quite possible, of course), it is too easy to lose your way.

Also I am an Australian reader and the novel is set in Sydney which is more than a little familiar to me. This may appeal to some readers (doubtless his many Norwegian readers like to track his characters through the streets of Oslo), but I found the Australian stuff all rather passe and familiar. Even boring. Not Nesbo's fault, but there you are.

Nevertheless, I will move onto "The Cockroach", the second Harry Hole novel, and see if I like Bangkok better. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jul 25, 2014 |
A beautiful blonde Norwegian woman is found raped and killed in Sydney,Australia. Oslo detective Harry Hole is sent out to observe and assist in the investigation. Is the murder a crime of passion? OR part of a heretofore unrecognized pattern of a serial killer?

This is actually the first in Jo Nesbo's detective series, but has only recently been translated and published in English. Quite atmospheric and I would love to speak someone who has been there how accurate a portrayal of Sydney it truly is. We meet some wonderfully delineated characterizations and learn some important tidbits from Harry's 'back story.' Even if the tension isn't as highly calibrated as in Nesbo's later stories, this was action packed and quite good. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Jul 22, 2014 |

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Original title: Flaggermusmannen

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

167 wanted6 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,050,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible