The Bat by Jo Nesbo

The Bat (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo, Don Bartlett (Translator)

Member:ElizaJane
Title:The Bat
Authors:Jo Nesbo (Author)
Other authors:Don Bartlett (Translator)
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Review Copies
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, randomhouse, crime, norway, serial killer, read2012

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

English (102)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (118)
This had all the key ingredients I usually enjoy, but for some reason I stuggled to get into this book and it didn't maintain my interest. The plot was okay but nothing more than that. I don't know if it lost something in translation but did just not hook me. There seemed a lot of descriptive passages but I wanted more interplay and dialogue between the main characters. Don't let this put you off, just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean you won't enjoy it - many have! For me it just needed more flow to the story. As a result I am giving it three stars. It was the first book in the series so perhaps I need to try a later book in the series before giving up on Harry Hole altogether. ( )
1 vote Andrew-theQM | Jul 11, 2016 |
Excellent thriller with great character introduction for detective Harry Hole. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 26, 2016 |
3.75 stars. this is extremely well written for what i expect of a thriller. i always wonder when it's in translation about the original and the translator, but this seems like quality on both sides.

just before starting this i'd heard that nesbo has said that this first book in the series, as far as he is concerned, could be tossed. that people could start with the second. i don't know if he really said that or not, but maybe it set me up to have low expectations. because i don't see why he'd say that - this is a solid story and it's well done, and i found myself liking it quite a bit. it's got it's share of misses or mistakes, but fewer than others of this genre that i've read.

i really enjoyed the dreamtime stories and the cultural aspects he brought to the australian part of this story. i thought those stories were interesting and tied in nicely to the plot, and seemed respectfully done from my white american perspective. i thought the characters pretty well drawn (definitely better than in an average macho thriller), the dialogue and story believable, and the writing really good. i think this is an excellent start to a series, especially if it only gets better from here. and he didn't take the easy way out and have harry save birgitta in the end, although as a reader i was hoping he'd get to her in time; it was better for the story and more realistic that she was murdered. he didn't make the choice that many authors would have there at the end, and i appreciate that. i keep coming back to it, but the writing is very strong here, and that is enough for me almost no matter the story or topic, and he manages to do well with the story, too, so i definitely find myself wanting to read more of his books. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jun 20, 2016 |
I guess I had high expectations with this one as everyone seems to lovethis series. I like a few other mystery series a lot better. According to the reviews, it seems this one isn't as good as the others so I will reserve further judgement until I read the next one. ( )
  Krild13 | Jun 10, 2016 |
Book Description
The electrifying first appearance of Jo Nesbø’s detective, Harry Hole.

Inspector Harry Hole of the Oslo Crime Squad is dispatched to Sydney to observe a murder case. Harry is free to offer assistance, but he has firm instructions to stay out of trouble. The victim is a twenty-three year old Norwegian woman who is a minor celebrity back home. Never one to sit on the sidelines, Harry befriends one of the lead detectives, and one of the witnesses, as he is drawn deeper into the case. Together, they discover that this is only the latest in a string of unsolved murders, and the pattern points toward a psychopath working his way across the country. As they circle closer and closer to the killer, Harry begins to fear that no one is safe, least of all those investigating the case.

My Review
This is the first book in the Harry Hole series but not the first book that I have read by Jo Nesbo since this one was not available in the USA when I first started reading the Harry Hole series. I did enjoy this book very much as the character development and plot was very good. It also had a lot of twists and turns which kept me interested until the end of the book. I will be continuing with the series as I do like the character Harry Hole very much. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It rose into space, its wings spread wide,
them fell, its wings now a fluttering cape
wrapped tight about the body of a man.

FRANK MILLER
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,621,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible