The Bat by Jo Nesbo

The Bat (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

Member:a.m.free
Title:The Bat
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Scandinavian

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

Recently added byprivate library, Jamers0212, Djupstrom, Brenda63, OneMrs.Muddiman, lefe, chiarain, areni55
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (71)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (87)
I really didn't take me 18 months to read this book. I started it back in 2013, got distracted and you know how that goes. I found it again recently and picked it for my mystery group.

This first in series from Scandinavian author Jo Nesbo was not the first of the Harry Hole novels translated and released in the US but it was definitely worth the wait.

Trying to describe it is kind of fun, It's about a Norwegian police inspector. And it's set in Australia. And he falls for a Swedish barmaid. Oh, yeah, and he investigates a crime that he's not really supposed to investigate that becomes a series of crimes he's not supposed to investigate with an Aboriginal homicide detective who is just supposed to keep him occupied and out of the way. Say whut? Maybe this is part of the reason it wasn't translated into English sooner than it was.

It sounds convoluted but it is really good! After Stieg Larsson, I was a little nervous that this series would be as dark and violent. What a pleasant surprise. Nesbo's writing is crisp and fresh. Harry is flawed but dealing with those flaws as best he can. He is not overloaded with testosterone. He can be a little bashful and unsure of himself without needing to prove anything. He has a sense of humor. He is real. And I like him.

Awful things happen in the book (and I see a similarity or two between things that happen in this book and the second Lethal Weapon film). It's a murder mystery so it stands to reason that someone has to die. But without giving anything away, I will say that the story is resolved with bite. BIG bite.

*ahem*

Seriously, though. This is an excellent book- highly recommended. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Feb 17, 2015 |
This is the first Harry Hole book, and I'd never read it. Well and intricately plotted, good characterizations—really liked it. It gave me insight into Harry that I didn't have, because I hadn't read #1. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
This is my first introduction to the Harry Hole series, and I am unsure if I will continue reading this series. The story centers on Harry Hole, a Norwegian detective assisting with a case in Australia. The story focuses on many issues in Australia such as the aborigines and the history of Australia; and all this from a Norwegian writer. Harry is an alcoholic and the case sends him into an alcoholic binge. Harry jumps from night clubs, strip joints, a circus, and an aquarium with ease. The story ends with the villain receiving due punishment, but the route is littered with dead blondes and unlikely vermin. ( )
  delphimo | Jan 18, 2015 |
I'd
Say that this is a weak three star for me. I didn't like Harry. The women were cardboard cut outs. And Sydney didn't come alive. But I kept reading so I must have liked it or else I kept thinking it would be as good as Phantom of I kept at it. ( )
  laurieindra | Jan 4, 2015 |

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Original title: Flaggermusmannen

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

167 wanted6 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,252,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible