The Bat by Jo Nesbo

The Bat (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

Title:The Bat
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:mystery, Scandinavian

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

English (82)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (4)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (100)
“In traditional crime fiction every detective with any self-respect has an unfailing nose for when people are lying. It’s bullshit! Human nature is a vast impenetrable forest which no one can know in its entirety. Not even a mother knows her child’s deepest secrets."

I can't remember how I came across this series or why I decided to add this to my tbr shelf but I am glad that I did. Before I started reading this I didn't know just how much the name 'Harry Hole' would make me giggle. Thank God there was a misunderstanding and everyone thought Harry's last name was pronounced 'Holy' or the immature child in me would have really been distracted.

I can't say that I liked Harry all throughout the book. Harry is definitely a good detective. I liked him the most when he was actually being a detective and not falling apart at the seams. Once he started drinking I began to lose a little interest in the story. Quite frankly there was little to no purpose for most of the binge drinking and blackouts. The middle of the book spent way too much time concentrating on that.

I had a couple of theories on who I thought was the murderer. I was pleased to have been wrong with every guess that I made. I was definitely surprised by who it was but wasn't all that satisfied with why they did it. I did like how the book managed to weave some Australian folklore into the story.

About halfway through this book I wasn't sure if I wanted to continuing reading any more books of this series but ultimately at the end to give the second book a chance. ( )
1 vote dpappas | Sep 21, 2015 |
Good, but it was Nesbo's first novel and it shows. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 5, 2015 |
Well now, this is strange. The English Vintage Crime edition that I read is not listed on Goodreads. I clicked on Change Editions but "Der Fledermausmann" is the only one that came up.

"The Bat" is Jo Nesbo's first Harry Hole novel. I had read some later ones before this one. I had received a comment about one of the later reviews I did. I wish I could remember who had commented. We exchanged comments about the name Harry Hole. After joking about it, we decided the name must not have the same meaning in Norwegian as it does to us. In "The Bat" I was surprised by a paragraph on Page 5, and here it is:

"Harry Hole considered his options. He had decided to spend the first days in Australia correcting the pronunciation of his surname so that he wouldn't be confused with apertures or orifices. Mr. Holy however, was infinitely preferable." Throughout the book he is referred to as Harry Holy.

In this novel, Detective Harry travels to Australia to solve the murder of one of his female detective cohorts. I gave the book 4 stars because it held my interest, though it was not as evil, not as nightmarish as his other books, which I prefer when it comes to crime books. (Wish Jim Thompson were still alive and writing.) ( )
  phillipfrey | Sep 3, 2015 |
Really bad. big disappointment. clearly intended as a screenplay for Hollywood. Reads like a bad action flick starring Mel Gibson. Plot complicated but confused. The ending with the villain eaten by a Great White was ridiculous - right out of a B-movie. The protagonist is another overdone "damaged" anit-hero - a character type which is now grossly over represented in popular culture. This version of Harry Hole is poorly motivated, self-focused, narcissistic and self-destructive. He is barely off the plane is Australia, when he is putting the moves on a gorgeous Swedish waitress. Supposedly he falls in love with her, but then decides to use her as bait to catch the a serial killer and gets her killed. This book is supposedly set in Australia, but you have no sense of being there. I recently finished reading The Honorable Schoolboy by LeCarre. This is not LeCarre's strongest work, but his evocation of Hong Kong make that city one of characters in the novel. Nebo's treatment of Australia as a place is totally a superficial hodgepoge of travel-brochure references and few aboriginal folk stories. Even the title of the book is irrelevant to the stroy. Angry with myself for even finishing this book. Sent to the Great Landfill in the Sky.
1 vote clarkland | Aug 22, 2015 |

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It rose into space, its wings spread wide,
them fell, its wings now a fluttering cape
wrapped tight about the body of a man.

Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Original title: Flaggermusmannen

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,779,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible