HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Bat by Jo Nesbo
Loading...

The Bat (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
1,458855,132 (3.39)142
Member:a.m.free
Title:The Bat
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Scandinavian

Work details

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 142 mentions

English (70)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (86)
Showing 1-5 of 70 (next | show all)
This is the first Harry Hole book, and I'd never read it. Well and intricately plotted, good characterizations—really liked it. It gave me insight into Harry that I didn't have, because I hadn't read #1. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
This is the first Harry Hole book, and I'd never read it. Well and intricately plotted, good characterizations—really liked it. It gave me insight into Harry that I didn't have, because I hadn't read #1. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
I'd
Say that this is a weak three star for me. I didn't like Harry. The women were cardboard cut outs. And Sydney didn't come alive. But I kept reading so I must have liked it or else I kept thinking it would be as good as Phantom of I kept at it. ( )
  laurieindra | Jan 4, 2015 |
I enjoyed my first Jo Nesbo murder mystery and will definitely read more. This is the first title in the Harry Hole series and I was I pressed. The story takes place in Sydney where Hole has been sent to find out about a fellow Norwegian who has been murdered. Sydney and its sights play a large role as do a few interesting aboriginal characters. There is a serial killer on the loose and Harry helps solve the crime. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Dec 21, 2014 |
Harry Hole, Hauptfigur einer Krimireihe von Jo Nesbø, untersucht in diesem ersten Fall den Mord an einer jungen Norwegerin in Australien. Dort ist Hole Andrew zugeordnet, einem Aboriginie-Kollegen, mit dem ihm bald ein freundschaftliches Verhältnis verbindet. Was zu Beginn wie ein Routineverbrechen aussieht, scheint sich jedoch zusehends als das Werk eines Serienmörders und -vergewaltigers zu entpuppen. Und Andrews Verhalten wird immer merkwürdiger...
Die neue Hauptfigur ist bemerkenswert untypisch für einen ,Kriminaler'. Zwar auch geplagt von schweren Problemen in der Vergangenheit (wie viele seiner nordischen Kollegen), verliert Hole sich dennoch nicht in Depressionen und tiefer Schwermut. Lieber versäuft er seinen Verstand :-)
Ebenfalls untypisch sind die ausgesprochen langen Exkurse zu Themen wie Geschichte der Aboriginies, deren Mythen und Sagen, der Vergangenheit der Ermittler usw. So werden einem nicht nur die handelnden Personen des Buches sehr nahe gebracht, sondern man erfährt zusätzlich viel Neues und Unbekanntes über das Land und dessen Vergangenheit (zumindest mir ging das so).
Die Story selbst ist verzwickt und mit viel psychologischer Raffinesse aufgebaut, die Spannung bleibt wirklich bis zur letzten Seite erhalten (Wäre am Schluß des Buches keine Leseprobe einer späteren Folge enthalten, wüsste man nicht ob Hole nun die Reißleine seines Fallschirms zieht oder nicht...).
Ein spannender und interessanter Erstling einer Krimireihe, die Lust auf mehr macht. ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 70 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (12 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Original title: Flaggermusmannen
Publisher's editors
Information from the Italian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Blurbers
Publisher series
Information from the Italian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 7 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
167 wanted6 pay6 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.39)
0.5 2
1 11
1.5 2
2 46
2.5 18
3 122
3.5 88
4 141
4.5 7
5 38

Audible.com

An edition of this book was published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,173,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible