HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Bat by Jo Nesbo
Loading...

The Bat (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
1,9681233,449 (3.39)195
Member:a.m.free
Title:The Bat
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Scandinavian

Work details

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 195 mentions

English (107)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All (123)
Showing 1-5 of 107 (next | show all)
I've signed up to take a Harry Hole walking tour of Oslo, so I figured I should read some of the books first. Of course, this one takes place entirely in Australia. Harry Hole is in the country to follow up on the murder of a Norwegian woman. What follows is a lengthy journey through Australian aboriginal culture, the drug trade, Harry's alcoholism and past relationships, and sky diving. There were parts when I wasn't positive I was reading things in order, with flashbacks shoved in somewhat disjointedly. I don't have strong feelings about Harry or the story in general, but I do believe I need to read at least one more installment in the series before I form a solid opinion. ( )
  melydia | Dec 16, 2016 |
Published originally on:
Der Fledermausmann von Jo Nesbø)



Jo Nesbo, Wirtschaftsfachmann und Journalist, war bereits als Songschreiber und Sänger mit seiner eigenen Band bekannt, als er 1997 sein Debut als Kriminalschritsteller feierte. "Der Fledermausmann" ( "O Homem Morcego") gewann sowohl den Riverton-Preis als auch den Preis für den besten skandinavischen Kriminalroman des Jahres. Am Schauplatz der Handlung, Australien, führt Nesbo seinen Seriehelden ein: Polizeikommissar Harry Hole, zur Abwechslung einmal ein jüngerer Mann, doch einer, der von noch stärkeren innernen Dämonen geplagt wird als seine literarischen Berufskollegen; er ist Alkoholiker und verantwortlich für den Tod eines Kollegen, lebt ständig am Rande des Nervenzusammenbruchs, eine Situation, die nicht dadurch erleichtert wird, dass seine Freundinnen nacheinander ermodert werden.

Kürzlich habe ich dieses Buch, „Der Fledermausmann“, fertiggelesen (mit 3 Sternen bewertet - 2 Sternen auf Goodreads ). Das war das zweite Buch des Jo Nesbo, das ich bis jetzt gelesen habe. Das Erste war „The Devil’s Star“, das ich zufällig im FNAC gefunden habe. Damals konnte ich nicht der Autor, aber er war in aller Munde. Dieses Buch hat mir sehr gut gefallen. Leider war es das fünfte Buch der Harry-Hole-Reihe. Nachdem ich dieses Buch fertiggelesen habe, habe ich beschlossen, die anderen Bücher dieser Reihe zu kaufen. Zum Entsetzen von mir und nachdem ich das Amazon.com-Homepage nachgeschlagen habe, habe ich gefunden, dass es keine mehr Bücher auf Englisch dieses Autors gab! Ohne Hoffnung habe ich die entsprechende Homepage auf Deutsch nachgeschlagen. Zu meiner Grossen Freude habe ich gefunden, dass alle Bücher des Jo Nesbo auf Deutsch übergesetzt worden waren! Ich habe sofort alle bestellt. Bevor ich das Buch „Der Fledermausmann“ angefangen habe zu lesen, hatte ich viele Erwartung, aber das Buch war enttäuschend!

Nach dem Buch „The Devil’s Star“ habe ich mehr erwartet. Zum Start konnte mich das Buch am Anfang nicht fesseln. Ab der Mitte hat doch das Buch das Tempo beschleunigen. Ein anderer Aspekt ist die Tatsache, dass Harry Hole Zeit finden kann, die Polizeiarbeit zu machen, weil er immer betrunken ist!  Trotzdem hat den Schreibstil des Jo Nesbo mir gut gefallen, weil seine Sätze gespickt mit witzigen Phrasen sind. Ich hoffe, dass mir das zweite Buch der Reihe „Kakerlaken“ mehr gefallen wird." ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
John Lee's excellent narration improves this novel, in which Harry Hole takes a long and winding route to track down a serial killer. ( )
  Jaelle | Oct 18, 2016 |
Before Harry took on the neo-Nazi gangs of Oslo, before he met Rakel, before The Snowman tried to take everything he held dear, he went to Australia. Harry Hole is sent to Sydney to investigate the murder of Inger Holter, a young Norwegian girl, who was working in a bar. Initially sidelined as an outsider, Harry becomes central to the Australian police investigation when they start to notice a number of unsolved rape and murder cases around the country. The victims were usually young blondes. Inger had a number of admirers, each with his own share of secrets, but there is no obvious suspect, and the pattern of the other crimes seems impossible to crack. Then a circus performer is brutally murdered followed by yet another young woman. Harry is in a race against time to stop highly intelligent killer, who is bent on total destruction.

I love this series! I'm not sure what grabs me about these particular books, but they are right in my wheelhouse for entertainment. Usually I hate to read something out of order, it bothers me on a subconscious level maybe, but that hasn't really been an issue. I feel like Each book tells you just enough about where Harry Hole is in his life that his characterization feels complete.

That is one of the things I always base most of my "score" on when reviewing books. 1)Is the plot coherent? 2) Are the characters interesting and two dimensional?

I am happy to say YES to both of those questions for this book. The plot to this really had me hooked and pulled me along quite nicely. Mysteries are a strange thing for me to read because I hate it when I guess the murderer too quickly. If i can guess who did it in the first section of the book I sometimes feel cheated. The book may or may not redeem itself with the ending, but usually it doesn't seem as fulfilling to me. I'm happy to say that I didn't guess the killer until the very end. This book had a bunch of twists and turns in it that made me stay up late to finish!

As for the characterizations, I felt that they were all really well defined. I have always found Harry Hole to be well fleshed out and sympathetic, even if he is making terrible choices and making me yell at him. He is a smart and capable police officer and really cares about the victims. The secondary characters were also really well drawn although they did suffer a bit compared to Harry. I'm not sure whether this is because it was the first book in the series or just a translation issue. It didn't bother me too much or take me out of the book any.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and look forward to getting some of the others i missed! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
This had all the key ingredients I usually enjoy, but for some reason I stuggled to get into this book and it didn't maintain my interest. The plot was okay but nothing more than that. I don't know if it lost something in translation but did just not hook me. There seemed a lot of descriptive passages but I wanted more interplay and dialogue between the main characters. Don't let this put you off, just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean you won't enjoy it - many have! For me it just needed more flow to the story. As a result I am giving it three stars. It was the first book in the series so perhaps I need to try a later book in the series before giving up on Harry Hole altogether. ( )
1 vote Andrew-theQM | Jul 11, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 107 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (12 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Information from the Catalan Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
It rose into space, its wings spread wide,
them fell, its wings now a fluttering cape
wrapped tight about the body of a man.

FRANK MILLER
Dedication
First words
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Information from the Catalan Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Blurbers
Publisher series
Information from the Catalan Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 7 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
22 avail.
91 wanted
9 pay8 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.39)
0.5 2
1 13
1.5 4
2 61
2.5 23
3 194
3.5 107
4 187
4.5 10
5 55

Audible.com

An edition of this book was published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,778,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible