HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Bat by Jo Nesbo
Loading...

The Bat (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
1,9901253,388 (3.38)195
Member:a.m.free
Title:The Bat
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Scandinavian

Work details

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

Recently added bycctesttc1, private library, gilbertine, janb37, max3988, adamash, k8hay
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 195 mentions

English (108)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All (124)
Showing 1-5 of 108 (next | show all)
I should have listened to the reviews that recommended starting this series with Book 3. This was rather boring and the author took the reader out of the narrative with lectures on Australian and Aboriginal culture. More than I ever wanted to know. Nor did I find the mystery all that compelling.

I did find out how Harry Hole was pronounced (Ho-lay) so now I can stop pronouncing it the American way, which makes it a very unfortunate name indeed :-)

I've heard enough good things about the series that I'll read #3 next, but I'm not in a big hurry ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
First in the series of Norwegian detective Harry Hole. Unfortunately it was in Australia. To many Aboriginal wanderings and the end was a little cliche. But some good writing in places. But willing to give Harry Hole another chance. ( )
  JBreedlove | Feb 2, 2017 |
I've signed up to take a Harry Hole walking tour of Oslo, so I figured I should read some of the books first. Of course, this one takes place entirely in Australia. Harry Hole is in the country to follow up on the murder of a Norwegian woman. What follows is a lengthy journey through Australian aboriginal culture, the drug trade, Harry's alcoholism and past relationships, and sky diving. There were parts when I wasn't positive I was reading things in order, with flashbacks shoved in somewhat disjointedly. I don't have strong feelings about Harry or the story in general, but I do believe I need to read at least one more installment in the series before I form a solid opinion. ( )
  melydia | Dec 16, 2016 |
Published originally on:
Der Fledermausmann von Jo Nesbø)



Jo Nesbo, Wirtschaftsfachmann und Journalist, war bereits als Songschreiber und Sänger mit seiner eigenen Band bekannt, als er 1997 sein Debut als Kriminalschritsteller feierte. "Der Fledermausmann" ( "O Homem Morcego") gewann sowohl den Riverton-Preis als auch den Preis für den besten skandinavischen Kriminalroman des Jahres. Am Schauplatz der Handlung, Australien, führt Nesbo seinen Seriehelden ein: Polizeikommissar Harry Hole, zur Abwechslung einmal ein jüngerer Mann, doch einer, der von noch stärkeren innernen Dämonen geplagt wird als seine literarischen Berufskollegen; er ist Alkoholiker und verantwortlich für den Tod eines Kollegen, lebt ständig am Rande des Nervenzusammenbruchs, eine Situation, die nicht dadurch erleichtert wird, dass seine Freundinnen nacheinander ermodert werden.

Kürzlich habe ich dieses Buch, „Der Fledermausmann“, fertiggelesen (mit 3 Sternen bewertet - 2 Sternen auf Goodreads ). Das war das zweite Buch des Jo Nesbo, das ich bis jetzt gelesen habe. Das Erste war „The Devil’s Star“, das ich zufällig im FNAC gefunden habe. Damals konnte ich nicht der Autor, aber er war in aller Munde. Dieses Buch hat mir sehr gut gefallen. Leider war es das fünfte Buch der Harry-Hole-Reihe. Nachdem ich dieses Buch fertiggelesen habe, habe ich beschlossen, die anderen Bücher dieser Reihe zu kaufen. Zum Entsetzen von mir und nachdem ich das Amazon.com-Homepage nachgeschlagen habe, habe ich gefunden, dass es keine mehr Bücher auf Englisch dieses Autors gab! Ohne Hoffnung habe ich die entsprechende Homepage auf Deutsch nachgeschlagen. Zu meiner Grossen Freude habe ich gefunden, dass alle Bücher des Jo Nesbo auf Deutsch übergesetzt worden waren! Ich habe sofort alle bestellt. Bevor ich das Buch „Der Fledermausmann“ angefangen habe zu lesen, hatte ich viele Erwartung, aber das Buch war enttäuschend!

Nach dem Buch „The Devil’s Star“ habe ich mehr erwartet. Zum Start konnte mich das Buch am Anfang nicht fesseln. Ab der Mitte hat doch das Buch das Tempo beschleunigen. Ein anderer Aspekt ist die Tatsache, dass Harry Hole Zeit finden kann, die Polizeiarbeit zu machen, weil er immer betrunken ist!  Trotzdem hat den Schreibstil des Jo Nesbo mir gut gefallen, weil seine Sätze gespickt mit witzigen Phrasen sind. Ich hoffe, dass mir das zweite Buch der Reihe „Kakerlaken“ mehr gefallen wird." ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
John Lee's excellent narration improves this novel, in which Harry Hole takes a long and winding route to track down a serial killer. ( )
  Jaelle | Oct 18, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 108 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (12 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Information from the Catalan Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
It rose into space, its wings spread wide,
them fell, its wings now a fluttering cape
wrapped tight about the body of a man.

FRANK MILLER
Dedication
First words
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Information from the Catalan Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Blurbers
Publisher series
Information from the Catalan Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 7 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
22 avail.
91 wanted
9 pay8 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.38)
0.5 2
1 14
1.5 5
2 64
2.5 23
3 197
3.5 107
4 189
4.5 10
5 55

Audible.com

An edition of this book was published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,655,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible