The Bat by Jo Nesbo

The Bat (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

Member:a.m.free
Title:The Bat
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Scandinavian

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

2013 (14) 2014 (11) Aborigines (11) alcoholism (7) audiobook (7) Australia (77) crime (85) crime fiction (51) detective (33) ebook (19) fiction (110) Harry Hole (84) Kindle (18) Krim (11) Kriminalroman (9) murder (27) mystery (97) norsk litteratur (10) Norway (59) Norwegian (30) novel (11) police procedural (16) read (23) read in 2013 (12) serial killer (14) series (23) suspense (9) Sydney (29) thriller (37) to-read (21)

English (62)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (77)
A beautiful blonde Norwegian woman is found raped and killed in Sydney,Australia. Oslo detective Harry Hole is sent out to observe and assist in the investigation. Is the murder a crime of passion? OR part of a heretofore unrecognized pattern of a serial killer?

This is actually the first in Jo Nesbo's detective series, but has only recently been translated and published in English. Quite atmospheric and I would love to speak someone who has been there how accurate a portrayal of Sydney it truly is. We meet some wonderfully delineated characterizations and learn some important tidbits from Harry's 'back story.' Even if the tension isn't as highly calibrated as in Nesbo's later stories, this was action packed and quite good.
  michigantrumpet | Jul 22, 2014 |
Very much enjoyed the novel perspective of a Norwegian detective finding his feet in Australia. Will probably read the other Harry Hole book but not bowled over yet by Harry Hole. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
I’ve been hearing about Jo Nesbo for quite a while now and decided to read the first book in his Inspector Harry Hole series. It was fittingly set in Sydney, Australia and so it quickly became a priority for me.

The novel follows a relatively formulaic path. A dead body is found, it’s a Norwegian woman and so Hole is sent from Norway to assist the Sydney authorities in the investigation. The murder mystery is interesting, but it’s definitely not what kept me hooked on the book. I loved hearing about the culture and history in Sydney. They talk about specific locations, cultural traditions and racial struggles.

The novel reminded me of The Cuckoo’s Calling a bit. The troubled detective has a complicated history and is an alcoholic. The plot lost me a little bit at a few points, but I was reading it more for the location and the lead character so that didn’t bother me.

BOTTOM LINE: A great book to read if you’re interested in Australia and a good mystery novel. I’ll definitely check out the next one in the series to see what happens next for Harry. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 10, 2014 |
Solid first effort introducing a character I will look forward to getting to know better. Having a Norwegian police officer in an Australian setting was great. Some predictable plot elements. ( )
  powertriangle | Jun 7, 2014 |
With a story that was not as powerful as The Redbreast, I still thought The Bat by Jo Nesbo was a good introduction to Harry Hole and laid some interesting groundwork in terms of introducing him, giving us some background and a lesson or two on pronouncing his name (Hoo-leh). This is a younger more naïve policeman, we even get to see Harry falling in love. Many of his past secrets are explained and we can see some of the reasons why Harry becomes the damaged, difficult loner that he is in his later books.

This first book has Harry in Sydney, Australia to assist the local police in their investigation into the death of a young Norwegian woman. This is a very different Harry than the one we meet later in the series, he is brash, he makes mistakes, and he falls off the wagon, big time. The case soon appears to be more than they thought, it now looks like they are on the trail of a serial killer.

I actually appreciate that I have met the older, wiser Harry first and now have gone back to fill in the blanks. Although the pacing of this book seemed a little off and I felt that the story didn’t really start to jell until about halfway through, overall I enjoyed The Bat and felt it definitely showed glimpses of the interesting series that it has become. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 29, 2014 |

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Original title: Flaggermusmannen

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

167 wanted6 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible