THE BAT by Jo Nesbo

THE BAT (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

Member:smik
Title:THE BAT
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Australian setting, Harry Hole, murder mystery, Norwegian author

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

Recently added bygilbertdean88, ffortsa, private library, Jon38, nibblebibliotek, mrbrand, sandefitz, Krisbee
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (63)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (78)
After reading Cockroaches, I had to go back to the beginning and find out where Harry Hole came from. Reading this one answered that question.

There is plenty of suspense and red herrings as Harry travels to Australia to investigate the murder of a Norwegian woman who had been a minor television personality.

I think I'm done with Harry Hole.....this just isn't a genre that appeals to me. ( )
  tangledthread | Oct 7, 2014 |
Having read two of the later Harry Hole novels by Jo Nesbo, I decided to go back to the beginning. That decision shows just how much Nesbo has improved as a crime fiction writer since the early days. The plot twists and turns are in evidence but the neat way in which his later novels help the reader to keep track is less well developed. Nesbo writes complicated plots and unless you read "The Bat" in a day or two (which is quite possible, of course), it is too easy to lose your way.

Also I am an Australian reader and the novel is set in Sydney which is more than a little familiar to me. This may appeal to some readers (doubtless his many Norwegian readers like to track his characters through the streets of Oslo), but I found the Australian stuff all rather passe and familiar. Even boring. Not Nesbo's fault, but there you are.

Nevertheless, I will move onto "The Cockroach", the second Harry Hole novel, and see if I like Bangkok better. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jul 25, 2014 |
A beautiful blonde Norwegian woman is found raped and killed in Sydney,Australia. Oslo detective Harry Hole is sent out to observe and assist in the investigation. Is the murder a crime of passion? OR part of a heretofore unrecognized pattern of a serial killer?

This is actually the first in Jo Nesbo's detective series, but has only recently been translated and published in English. Quite atmospheric and I would love to speak someone who has been there how accurate a portrayal of Sydney it truly is. We meet some wonderfully delineated characterizations and learn some important tidbits from Harry's 'back story.' Even if the tension isn't as highly calibrated as in Nesbo's later stories, this was action packed and quite good. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Jul 22, 2014 |
Very much enjoyed the novel perspective of a Norwegian detective finding his feet in Australia. Will probably read the other Harry Hole book but not bowled over yet by Harry Hole. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
I’ve been hearing about Jo Nesbo for quite a while now and decided to read the first book in his Inspector Harry Hole series. It was fittingly set in Sydney, Australia and so it quickly became a priority for me.

The novel follows a relatively formulaic path. A dead body is found, it’s a Norwegian woman and so Hole is sent from Norway to assist the Sydney authorities in the investigation. The murder mystery is interesting, but it’s definitely not what kept me hooked on the book. I loved hearing about the culture and history in Sydney. They talk about specific locations, cultural traditions and racial struggles.

The novel reminded me of The Cuckoo’s Calling a bit. The troubled detective has a complicated history and is an alcoholic. The plot lost me a little bit at a few points, but I was reading it more for the location and the lead character so that didn’t bother me.

BOTTOM LINE: A great book to read if you’re interested in Australia and a good mystery novel. I’ll definitely check out the next one in the series to see what happens next for Harry. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 10, 2014 |

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Original title: Flaggermusmannen

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

167 wanted6 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,488,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible