THE BAT by Jo Nesbo

THE BAT (original 1997; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

Member:smik
Title:THE BAT
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Random House Canada (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Australian setting, Harry Hole, murder mystery, Norwegian author

The Bat by Jo Nesbo (1997)

Recently added byBABaker, moonsail42, sunsetmo, Veggiemanu, exlibristim, private library, shieldsk1, rjmcdonnell, birder4106
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (77)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (94)
ok. not great but I'm interested so I'll keep reading the next in the series. ( )
  groundedforlife | Jul 6, 2015 |
The electrifying first appearance of Jo Nesbø’s detective, Harry Hole. Inspector Harry Hole of the Oslo Crime Squad is dispatched to Sydney to observe a murder case. Harry is free to offer assistance, but he has firm instructions to stay out of trouble. The victim is a twenty-three year old Norwegian woman who is a minor celebrity back home. Never one to sit on the sidelines, Harry befriends one of the lead detectives, and one of the witnesses, as he is drawn deeper into the case. Together, they discover that this is only the latest in a string of unsolved murders, and the pattern points toward a psychopath working his way across the country. As they circle closer and closer to the killer, Harry begins to fear that no one is safe, least of all those investigating the case.
  icre8dstny | Jun 30, 2015 |
  icre8dstny | Jun 30, 2015 |
Interesting to see how it all began. Wonder why he decided to write the first book in Australia. ( )
  shazjhb | May 22, 2015 |
I struggled with the Narrator of this book. There were times I felt like I was listening to a sportscaster, the inflections and ways of speaking were sometimes distracting. John Lee narrates the first 2 books in this series and then it switches to someone else so I will be interested to see how the other narrator performs with the same character.

Although this is the first book int he Harry Hole series, it wasn't released in the USA until the last few years. I think most of the people who have read this book and reviewed it have already read a Harry Hole novel and love this character therefore are excited to read about his beginnings. Unfortunately this is the first Harry book I have read and I found it only so so. I'm not sure if it was the narrator or the story but I found that it didn't hold my attention as long as many other Nordic Mysteries. They usually are a bit slower and darker than US mysteries but this one seemed to wander around having a hard time figuring out where it needs to go. Despite this I'm gonna stick with Harry though since I have high hopes for later books. ( )
  ReadingGrrl | Apr 28, 2015 |

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noe var galt.
Something was wrong.
Original title: Flaggermusmannen

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,418,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible