Meet Kirsten: An American Girl by Janet…

Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (1986)

by Janet Beeler Shaw

Review: Meet Kirsten tells the story of Kirsten Larson and her journey to America in 1854. It's a story that talks about her struggles in making America her home. A great story for third and fourth graders.

Personal: I read this book when I was little and I always tried to picture what my life would be like if I lived there in that time.

Classroom: I think it would be a great way for the children to paint a picture of what they think it looks like in the 1850s and what Kirsten looked like in their mind.
  courtneynorton | Mar 24, 2017 |
Meet Kirsten tells the story of Kirsten Larson and her journey to America in 1864. It's a story that talks about her struggles in making America her home. A great story for third and fourth graders. ( )
  MollyMcConaughey | Mar 17, 2017 |
Got this book in 1986 along with the Kirsten doll. Even though the American Girls line has changed dramatically over the years, this book is still one of my favorites in the series. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
I adored this book, the main message was that while things may get hard you can overcome anything as long as you work hard enough. The plot to this book was wonderful it was logical. I loved how the author took the readers along with Kirsten on her journey to her home and the struggles that come along with adjusting to working on a farm. I also loved the style it was written in. Unlike most books describing the life of immigrants the story seemed as if it was written as if it could have been a journal from someone looking into the life of this family. ( )
  mlanni1 | Oct 26, 2016 |
i really really REALLY like this book! i read so many of the
American Girls books and this one is my favorite!
Read it you will love it! I think i have read it 5 times. ( )
  the.jenna.bean | Mar 23, 2016 |
For my mother, Nadina Fowler
"That's America!" Kirsten said happily.
Kirsten looked down at her dusty boots. Saying good-bye to the people she loved was the hardest thing in the world to do. She didn't want Marta to see the tears that stung her eyes. So she took a deep breath before she said, "Marta, I'll tell you what my grandmother said to me before we left Sweden. Mormor said, "When you're lonely, look at the sun. Remember that we all see the same sun."

"Do you do that?" Marta asked. Do you look at the sun and think of your grandmother?"

"When I miss Mormor, I look at the sun and pray for her," Kirsten said.

Now Marta managed a small smile. "Then when I miss you, I'll look at the sun. Will you do the same?"

"Yes. And say a prayer. I will. I'll say, 'God bless Marta.'"

"I'll say a prayer, too," Marta agreed. "And I'll be looking for you everywhere." (ch. 3, pgs. 26-27)
Then Kirsten felt Mama's arms around her, and Papa patted her on her shoulder. "Enough crying. Stop now, Kirsten," he said.

But Mama cradled her and said softly, "Let her have her tears." (ch. 4, pgs. 39-40)

Nine-year-old Kirsten and her family experience many hardships as they travel from Sweden to the Minnesota frontier in 1854.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,187,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible