Bodies: Big Ideas/Small Books by Susie…

Bodies: Big Ideas/Small Books

by Susie Orbach

English (2)  German (1)  All languages (3)
Every 'body' ought to read this book. Frightening exposure of consumer culture taking over the comfort we all feel in our bodies. It's like how torturers take over control of a victim's body! Author reinforces that bodies are for living our lives in. However, all over the world, people are transforming, perfecting, doing-over, vomiting, cutting out so as to fit into the ideal Wester image. Beauty is missing; humans are being tricked into homogenizing their physicality. The feeling of being discontent is a manufactured discontent so that we all go to gyms, buy into weight loss schemes, feel bad about ourselves and keep the weight loss, cosmetic surgery, cosmetic industries afloat. And there's more....about body transference in psychoanalysis, loss, the future, parenting. ( )
1 vote authorknows | Apr 5, 2009 |
Glad I read this book, and will go back to it again. I can do no better than quote from WIlliam Leith's review in the Guardian - "Reading this book made me think: our system makes us want things until we're so damaged that we can't go on, and it's showing on our skinny, obese, scarred, tattooed, pierced and hated bodies. And now it looks like the system is breaking down. Which might be good news for bodies." ( )
1 vote VegAnne | Feb 14, 2009 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:30 -0400)

Orbach diagnoses the crisis in our relationship to our bodies, and points the way toward a process of healing.(Publisher-supplied data) Esteemed Psychotherapist and writer Susie Orbach diagnoses the crisis in our relationship to our bodies and points the way toward a process of healing. Throughout the Western world, people have come to believe that general dissatisfaction can be relieved by some change in their bodies. Here Susie Orbach explains the origins of this condition, and examines its implications for all of us. Challenging the Freudian view that bodily disorders originate and progress in the mind, Orbach argues that we should look at self-mutilation, obesity, anorexia, and plastic surgery on their own terms, through a reading of the body itself. Incorporating the latest research from neuropsychology, as well as case studies from her own practice, she traces many of these fixations back to the relationship between mothers and babies, to anxieties that are transferred unconsciously, at a very deep level, between the two. Orbach reveals how vulnerable our bodies are, how susceptible to every kind of negative stimulus--from a nursing infant sensing a mother's discomfort to a grown man or woman feeling inadequate because of a model on a billboard. That vulnerability makes the stakes right now tremendously high. In the past several decades, a globalized media has overwhelmed us with images of an idealized, westernized body, and conditioned us to see any exception to that ideal as a problem. The body has become an object, a site of production and commerce in and of itself. Instead of our bodies making things, we now make our bodies. Susie Orbach reveals the true dimensions of the crisis, and points the way toward healing and acceptance.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible