By Hook or By Crook by Betty Hechtman

By Hook or By Crook

by Betty Hechtman

This installment of the Crochet mysteries places the reader in the midst of a mini-mystery and when we follow the clues with the main character we are lead on a scavenger hunt of details all related to a crocheted piece. It was great to see an actual needlework piece at the center of the mystery. ( )
  cyderry | Feb 13, 2015 |
Very good whodunit, next please. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Aug 16, 2014 |
The third book in this cute little cosy mystery series finds amateur sleuth Molly Pink and her group of friends, fellow crocheters `The Tarzana Hookers' embroiled in a mystery involving a riddle on a piece of abandoned filet crochet, of all things. When Molly eventually tracks down the owner of the crochet piece she is horrified to find her not exactly looking her best- infact she's dead! Now Molly and her friends must try and uncover what the strange symbols on the filet parchment really meant and why it may have lead to someone's murder...

My personal opinion of this book is that whilst it was good, it wasn't quite as strong a read as the earlier two books in the series which I whizzed through and really enjoyed. I think this is mainly down to a weaker plot and some of the secondary characters not being developed as strongly here as what they have been in the past. The `mystery' as well when it was unravelled (no pun intended) seemed a bit meagre and not as easy to follow as past plots. It just wasn't as interesting, sadly.

I'm not a crocheter by any means (I don't have the patience) but you don't have to be to enjoy these crafty mysteries, so don't let that put you off giving these a try at least. By now I also feel I know the characters and their traits and these are nice easy reads to pick up between heavier books and dip in and out of. There is also an ongoing back story for Molly between her and her sort-of-boyfriend Barry and potential suitor Mason, which is fun to read. If I was Molly then I know who I'd choose!

I am hoping that the fourth book is a bit better than this one though, despite the nice little side stories of friendship and romance. My recommendation would be that if you like cosy mysteries and a bit of light reading then to try this series by all means- but to make sure you read them in their intended order- just to establish who is who.

*This review also appears on Amazon.co.uk* ( )
  CookieDemon | Mar 13, 2012 |
I can not get past chapter 6. I was looking forward to a new author and a new series, but this is NOT it. The characters are unbelievable and strange all at the same time and the story does not make sense. I might pick it back up later on if I am that bored. ( )
1 vote BarbsReviews | Jul 26, 2010 |
For me, this 3rd installment of the Crochet Mystery series by Betty Hechtman was the best so far. The mystery was intriguing and the clues in the filet crochet piece were a unique twist. I also liked the connection and foray into Catalina Island which I remember from my own childhood. There was quite a bit less of the bookstore crochet group and talk about learning how to crochet, but crochet was still central to the plot of the story. I did get tired of her mother and the She La Las, however, and the boyfriend soap opera is getting a little worn around the edges as well. All in all, a good read for those who like cozy mysteries, Southern California, and crochet. ( )
1 vote chinquapin | Jun 24, 2010 |
Nobody noticed the bag at first.

"Molly Pink's crochet group has a new mystery on their hands when they find a paper bag that contains a note that speaks of remorse, a diary entry of the sorrow of parting, and a complicated piece of filet crochet that offers an obscure clue in pictures. Things get even more complicated when they find the talented crocheter murdered by a box of poisoned marzipan apples."--Publishers description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,933,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible