What Matters Most by Lisa Marie Davis

What Matters Most (2008)

by Lisa Marie Davis

This is another book I re-read after over a year so I could write a review for GoodReads. It is also another book that I knocked a few stars off of. It wasn't nearly as good as I remember it being after the first read. I still enjoyed it. It had some great romance and hot sex scenes, but not 5 star worthy.

So, recommended for M/M romance lovers who like a touch of the paranormal in a shorter story. ( )
  gigi9988776 | Aug 25, 2014 |
My Rating: 4.5 of 5Silas is strong, self-assured, but lonely. He’s looking for a lover who will accept him completely, but his gift drives everyone away. He doesn’t let that get to him though, because he knows his gift is important, that he has an opportunity to truly help people.Josh is a man living in the past. His present is always affected by the horrible things he experienced when he was younger. He is trapped by his fears and memories, to the point that he denies himself the things he wants most in life.I liked Silas’ character very much and found him to be a very caring person. Even when it inconveniences him, he does his best to help the spirits who visit him. I felt very sorry for Josh and hoped throughout the story that he would find the help he needed. I really felt that they deserved a happy ending and rooted for them through each chapter.This is the second book I’ve read by Lisa Marie Davis, and I must say I am hooked on her work. I suppose that the story could have done very nicely without the paranormal elements, but I still liked that they were there. It lent a little bit of something different to an already engaging story. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a little bit of the paranormal mixed in with a good bit of emotional drama.http://iheartpaperbacks.wordpress.com ( )
  anesthezea | Oct 15, 2009 |
Silas was always a strange boy. He saw imaginary friends, or so he thought. When he was a bit older he understood that what he saw were the souls of dead people who had something other to do before leaving, and they asked to Silas for help. Even if so young Silas knew that it was not normal for him to see souls, and from his parents he didn't have help. Lucky him his paternal grandfather, an old Irish man, taught him about the 'sight' and that their family sometime gives birth to a special man like Silas.

To add strangeness to oddity, Silas soon realized that he was gay, and as he never hid the sight, he didn't hide his being gay. For his parents it was too much and Silas found himself alone at a very young age. With only a money help by his father he moved in a new city and began the life of a ordinary clerk, and at the same time he continued to help the souls. Always open in all the aspect of his life, when he became friend, or lover, with another man, Silas didn't hide the spiritual side of his life, and this lead to him being alone, since no one actually believed him. Silas got the fame to be handsome and sexy, but a bit odd.

When he spends a one night adventures with Josh, and the morning after he discovers that the man is very much in the closet and without any intention to come out, Silas tries to go on with his life, but Josh's mother has other idea... the problem is that Sarah, Josh's mother, is a soul and help her in her last wish means reveal to Josh that he can see the souls of the dead.

The story is an odd mix of hanging atmosphere and lustful sex. Silas is almost double faced, one side the cool and serene man who sees souls and calmly helps them, on the other side the man who picks up a man for a one night stand and makes passionate love; these are two side that almost crash, but that in a way melt together to draw up the character. Josh instead is a problematic man, with a abusive father and a weak mother, a grown man with still the mind of a child; sadly he needs an authoritative figure beside him, since alone he would not be able to break free from his father's clutches.

Even if there is sex in this story, it's almost like an ethereal experience... again that hanging feeling; the overall sensation of the story is of a continuous flow of energy, without the up and down that usually characterize a romance. In a way, for a story which deals with souls, it's quite a right sensation.

elisa.rolle | Nov 3, 2008 |
Silas Spencer was ten years old when he finally realized that his imaginary friends weren't exactly imaginary.

From Dreamspinner Press:Silas Spencer had a gift, but potential lovers tended to bolt when he tried to explain that he could see and speak with 'displaced' spirits who needed guidance or help. He thought he'd found someone special in co-worker Josh Dalton, but Josh saw their night together as a moment of weakness he could never allow himself to repeat. When Josh's deceased mother appears to Silas asking for his help to make things right with her son, Silas can't bring himself to say no, even though it could lead to a badly broken heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,421,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible