Borderline by Nevada Barr

Borderline

by Nevada Barr

Nevada Barr sets her books in various National Parks in the United States and her sleuth, Anna Pigeon, is a kickass mature woman ranger. Ever since I read a copy of Blood Lure, which was set in the Glacier National Park I have been a fan. It maybe helps that I have visited quite a few of the parks where she has set her mysteries but I think anyone who likes a mystery with a strong female character would enjoy them.

In this book Anna is recovering from a stressful incident in the previous book, Winter Study, and she has come to Big Bend National Park in Texas to take a rafting trip with her husband, Paul, and four college students. It is supposed to be a few days of communing with nature, having fun and eating well but it quickly turns into another stressful outing. Their raft gets overturned and all their belongings are swept away. When one of their number goes to search the bank to see if anything can be saved she discovers a body in the water. It is an extremely pregnant Mexican woman and she is still alive. Anna and the rest pull her from the river, she gasps "Please save my baby." and dies. Anna performs a C-section and the infant girl is saved. When the guide climbs up the bank to try to get a signal on her satellite phone she is shot by someone above. It is up to Anna and Paul to get the rest of the young people and the baby up the bank and to help. This, of course, is an ordeal in itself.

I was astonished, given that this book was written in 2009, that one of the characters in the book is a politician who wants to build a wall to keep Mexican people from coming into the USA. I guess that idea has been circulating for longer than I thought. It certainly made the book seem very relevant to today's circumstances. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 17, 2018 |
It's been a long time since I read this book but I have read the entire series, up until the most current book and I really like it. I love how the series is set outdoors in the different parks. If you like C.J. Box, then you'll like Barr too. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

??for the book ???? for the audio recording, rounded up to 3 stars

Anna and her husband, Paul, are on a river rafting trip in Texas while she is on leave following something that happens in the previous novel when Anna insists they rescue a starving cow. While doing this, it begins to rain, the river rises and even though they get the cow onto their raft, they end up in an accident, with no raft or supplies. One of the college students begins to scream because she has found late term pregnant woman, seemingly dead, in the river. Thus begins more of the suspense, killings and crazy actions. In the meantime, a city mayor is staying nearby because she is planning to announce her campaign for state government and she is getting herself out there. She and her husband, childless, stay in separate rooms, and her aging head of security, a former member of the secret service, is concerned her in a fatherly way as he has known her since she was a preschooler. Naturally, we realize from early on that somehow, somewhere, these two seemingly disparate stories have to join together, and of course they do, since one immediate tie in is that this rafting trip occurs on a river that borders Mexico and Texas, and one of the hot political topics is the border which has been closed since 9/11.

I found this while looking through my library’s small playaway section, so it’s not something I’d normally read in print, and I had no idea it was about this Anna Pigeon I’d read reviews about since I didn’t read the tiny print that closely; I wanted something to listen to while gardening. Barbara Rosenblat has a large speaking range and so does a fabulous job of men’s voices for a woman and okay with women’s. She tends to make virtually every woman sound just a bit Hispanic with certain words, which wasn’t a always correct for the characters, but you don’t hear that during the narrative parts.

This novel is more grisly and dark than I like my mysteries, but apparently this series gets more grisly as it goes along, and this is one of the latest installments.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Anna Pigeon is on administrative leave following the events at Isle Royale so she and her husband decide to take a river rafting trip in Big Bend National Park. Things take a turn for the sinister when the party discovers a nearly drowned very pregnant woman in the river. I really enjoy Nevada Barr's books. This one was good but not the nail biter ending that some of her books have. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
A one-day beach read. Love those.
An interesting story that was a quick read despite the number of melding plotlines. I liked the consistency in the characters' traits, even if they weren't overall good ones. Barr's writing usually makes me want to visit the national parks, but not sure she sold me on Big Bend ( )
  skinglist | Jul 12, 2015 |
Barr hits her stride whenever Anna is actually on the river.... But nothing else seems to inspire Barr, and the novel’s lame plotting, with its obvious villains, is a comedown from her usual impeccable storytelling.

For Kendall, who gave us a magical dog
Wailing cut through the perfect darkness.

New York Times–bestselling author Nevada Barr delivers another extraordinary Anna Pigeon novel set in the wide open vistas of southwestern Texas.

The killings on Isle Royale have left Anna drained and haunted, her memories of her time with the wolf study group forever marred by the carnage on the island. Diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, she is on administrative leave, per her superintendent's urging. Anna wonders if the leave might not be permanent, either by her own choice or that of the National Park Service. The one bright spot in Anna's life is Paul, her husband of less than a year. Hoping the warmth and the adventure of a raft trip in Big Bend National Park will lift her spirits, Paul takes Anna to southwest Texas, where the sun is hot and the Rio Grande is running high. The sheer beauty of the Chihuahuan Desert and the power of the river work their magic—until the raft is lost in the rapids and a young college student falls overboard, resulting in an even more grisly discovery. Caught in a strainer between two boulders and more dead than alive, is a pregnant woman, hair and arms tangled in the downed branches. Instead of the soul-soothing experience they'd longed for, Anna and Paul find themselves sucked into a labyrinth of intrigue that leads from the Mexican desert to the steps of the Governor's Mansion in Austin, Texas.

Hoping the adventure of a raft trip in Big Bend National Park will lift her spirits, Paul takes Anna to southwest Texas. Instead of the soul-soothing experience they'd longed for, the couple finds a pregnant woman--more dead than alive--and soon they are sucked into a labyrinth of intrigue that leads from the Mexican desert to the steps of the Governor's Mansion in Austin.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,530,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible