Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat

Nate the Great

by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat

Other authors: Marc Simont (Illustrator)

Series: Nate the Great (book 1)

Recently added bymfbrown617, zachary21005, LaurenCoon, jgpence, CathrynAnna, private library, ms122206, Omar-Tracy

Nate the Great is a story about a child detective named Nate. His friend Annie asks Nate to help her solve the case on her missing picture. ( )
  CathrynAnna | Nov 13, 2015 |
In my opinion, this book was incredibly well-rounded and would definitely be one I would select to read to my future classroom. The story was written in such a way that you could get a sense of the narrator (Nate)'s personality. The reader could tell that Nate was a child who wanted to seem older and be respected by his peers. For example, Nate would make comments such as "I hate to eat on the job", or "Of course I'm a real detective." The plot was well-organized, and the sequence of events were realistic. One of the prime reasons I enjoyed this book was because although it was a fictional "mystery", there was an educational piece at the end. The conflict that occurred in the story was that Nate's friend Annie was trying to find her picture. When Nate finally figures out that it was her brother who painted over her picture, he explained that red and yellow make orange which is why Annie's brother's picture is a different color from all of the rest. From this, a teacher could then get into a lesson on colors, and what happens when you mix them together, etc. I honestly wasn't expecting an educational aspect at the conclusion of this book, but I was pleasantly surprised at the ending. Overall, I think the big message of this book was that even small people can do great things. In this scenario, Nate helped his friend figure out what happened to her drawing. While this may not seem like a huge deal to some, it definitely was a big deal to Annie.
  alexavecchio | Sep 14, 2015 |
excellent books to help students learn how to problem solve and think logically. ( )
  iamryancorcoran | May 13, 2015 |
Our first Nate the Great book. While it's a bit below my son's reading level (it has both really controlled vocabulary and repetition), it's a 64 page story and thus great for building stamina for longer books. In fact, it's a great transitional book between early readers and then chapter books. It's somewhat funny despite the repetitions, but pretty tame in all respects. It seems to have content that's very much appropriate for a five year old and it was engaging enough for him not to want to put the book down until he was finished. Great pictures throughout the book, on every page spread, at the end there's some trivia and lingo, also appealing to a 5 year old. And Nate is actually a pretty decent detective, logical and consistent, so the kids can take away something from this. We'll seek out further books from this series for sure. ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
This fiction novel is another great introduction to early chapter books. I would say that the genre is a beginning reader, mystery/detective novel. Nate the Great describes the adventures of Nate, a child detective ready to solve the mysteries that come his way.
  adriennelaine | Mar 11, 2015 |

Sharmat, Marjorie Weinmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simont, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Craig the Great

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044046126X, Paperback)

Shortly after a breakfast generously supplied with pancakes, Natethe Great got an urgent call from Annie.

"I lost a picture," said Annie. "Can you help me find it?"

"Of course," said Nate. "I have found lost balloons, books, slippers, chickens. Even a lost goldfish. Now I, Nate the Great, will find a lost picture."

"Oh, good," Annie said.

Nate, with the cool detachment of a Sam Spade, immediately plunges into his new and baffling case. Getting all the facts, asking the right questions, narrowing down the suspects. Nate, the boy detective who "likes to work alone," solves the mystery and tracks down the culprit. In the process he also discovers the whereabouts of Super Hex, the missing cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:15 -0400)

Nate the Great solves the mystery of the missing picture.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible