Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat

Nate the Great

by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat

Other authors: Marc Simont (Illustrator)

Series: Nate the Great (book 1)

Recently added byprivate library, seowens, goldfuss, bairdschool, MiguelPut, Jam1214, akunzeman

I liked this book for two reasons. One reason was the way the author wrote it and developed the characters. I think that even though it is for young readers, the author was able to make the text mysterious and sound like a detective movie. Nate is a funny character who thinks that he is the best detective out there. He solves silly mysteries like finding lost objects for his friends. Readers can relate to the writing and the characters that the author created because solving a mystery is something that children, both boys and girls can participate in. The book is a quick chapter book that can help children start to read longer books because of its use of adventure and comedy. The second reason I liked the book was the way the illustrator used the illustrations on each page. Although the book is a little older and pictures aren’t as colorful, they really bring out the characters’ personalities and connect to the text. They can help readers who are just starting chapter books, by keeping each page looking interesting. Overall, the big idea of the story is to fulfill children’s imaginations for adventure and mystery. ( )
  ckelly16 | Mar 30, 2014 |
We loved it. Daughter and I. ( )
  luckbell | Nov 24, 2013 |
Short Summary: Nate is a funny character that loves pancakes and solving mysteries. It is an easy-reader book with accompanying drawings where Nate is on the hunt for his friend's drawing of her dog. The sentences are short and pretty easy to read, with maybe a few words that might be a little harder.

Personal Reflection: This was a cute story- I love Nate the Great! It's like a kids version of Sherlock Holmes and I like that he takes himself very seriously. Nate is a very realistic kid that kids can relate to. I would use this for independent reading and have kids write down any words they didn't know.
  hkent32 | Jun 9, 2013 |
This was a very funny mystery. Very reminiscent of a couple of old TV shows, especially Dragnet with it's comically serious tone. Nate seems like a kid Joe Friday. I love his odd obsession with pancakes. It was all very amusing. I would gladly read this again. It is the sort of humor that a kid would get, but an adult would appreciate as well, maybe even a bit more than the kid. Very well done. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
week 30
  monicaann | Feb 8, 2013 |

Sharmat, Marjorie Weinmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simont, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Craig the Great

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044046126X, Paperback)

Shortly after a breakfast generously supplied with pancakes, Natethe Great got an urgent call from Annie.

"I lost a picture," said Annie. "Can you help me find it?"

"Of course," said Nate. "I have found lost balloons, books, slippers, chickens. Even a lost goldfish. Now I, Nate the Great, will find a lost picture."

"Oh, good," Annie said.

Nate, with the cool detachment of a Sam Spade, immediately plunges into his new and baffling case. Getting all the facts, asking the right questions, narrowing down the suspects. Nate, the boy detective who "likes to work alone," solves the mystery and tracks down the culprit. In the process he also discovers the whereabouts of Super Hex, the missing cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:22 -0400)

Nate the Great solves the mystery of the missing picture.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible