Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat

Nate the Great

by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat

Other authors: Marc Simont (Illustrator)

Series: Nate the Great (book 1)

This fiction novel is another great introduction to early chapter books. I would say that the genre is a beginning reader, mystery/detective novel. Nate the Great describes the adventures of Nate, a child detective ready to solve the mysteries that come his way.
  adriennelaine | Mar 11, 2015 |
I found this book to be cute and funny. I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason was the authors writing it and development of the characters. I found that even though this book is for young readers, the author was able to make the text mysterious and read like a true mystery book. I found Nate’s character to be hilarious, he is just a young boy with such large dreams. Nate solves silly mysteries like finding lost objects for his friends, yet he thinks he is the best detective in the world. The author uses words easy enough for young children just starting read chapter books. The language usage is great so that a child does not get overwhelmed by words or too frightened to read. The author makes the writing child friendly, so that they can relate. I remember pretending to be a detective or spy when I was a child and “solving mysteries”. This is a story that both girls and boy can relate to because each participate in games, ie. solving mysteries. The second reason I enjoyed this book is because of the way the illustrator used the pictures on each page to help tell the story. Although, the book is a little older and pictures are not as colorful, they really bring out each character’s individual personality and connect with the text perfectly. The pictures help the readers follow along with the book by connecting each picture to the reading while keeping it interesting. The central message of this book is about using your imagination but also being a good friend. ( )
  corzel1 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Summary: Nate the Great is a story about a boy named Nate who pretends to be a detective. One morning, Nate is eating breakfast when his friend Annie calls him and asks him to help her find a missing picture. Nate goes over to Annie's house and asks her multiple questions about the picture she made, including who else saw it. Annie told him that her dog, her friend and her brother were the only people who saw the picture. Nate first thought the dog took the picture so they searched in the backyard. Nate then thought the friend took it so they looked at the friends house. Finally, Nate questioned Annie's little brother and found the picture hanging on his wall.

Argument: I thought this book was an interesting book about finding missing things and using clues to do so. Nate proved to be a great friend by going over to Annie's right away and helping her find her missing picture. It also is a great story about pretending to be something and using imagination. Nate is not a "real detective" but through his imagination, he pretends he is and has his friends believing the same thing. Nate even dresses the part and talks like a detective. The central message of this book is about using your imagination but also being a good friend. Going on detective cases is something Nate likes to do which goes along with helping his friends. I think children would copy the idea Nate has to be a detective and to use clues and question to help find missing items. ( )
  csteve13 | Sep 17, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. One reason was the way the author wrote it and developed the characters. I think that even though it is for young readers, the author was able to make the text mysterious and sound like a detective movie. Nate is a funny character who thinks that he is the best detective out there. He solves silly mysteries like finding lost objects for his friends. Readers can relate to the writing and the characters that the author created because solving a mystery is something that children, both boys and girls can participate in. The book is a quick chapter book that can help children start to read longer books because of its use of adventure and comedy. The second reason I liked the book was the way the illustrator used the illustrations on each page. Although the book is a little older and pictures aren’t as colorful, they really bring out the characters’ personalities and connect to the text. They can help readers who are just starting chapter books, by keeping each page looking interesting. Overall, the big idea of the story is to fulfill children’s imaginations for adventure and mystery. ( )
  ckelly16 | Mar 30, 2014 |
We loved it. Daughter and I. ( )
  luckbell | Nov 24, 2013 |

Sharmat, Marjorie Weinmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simont, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Craig the Great

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044046126X, Paperback)

Shortly after a breakfast generously supplied with pancakes, Natethe Great got an urgent call from Annie.

"I lost a picture," said Annie. "Can you help me find it?"

"Of course," said Nate. "I have found lost balloons, books, slippers, chickens. Even a lost goldfish. Now I, Nate the Great, will find a lost picture."

"Oh, good," Annie said.

Nate, with the cool detachment of a Sam Spade, immediately plunges into his new and baffling case. Getting all the facts, asking the right questions, narrowing down the suspects. Nate, the boy detective who "likes to work alone," solves the mystery and tracks down the culprit. In the process he also discovers the whereabouts of Super Hex, the missing cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:22 -0400)

Nate the Great solves the mystery of the missing picture.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,159,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible