Undead and Unappreciated (Queen Betsy, Book…

Undead and Unappreciated (Queen Betsy, Book 3) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by MaryJanice Davidson

Member:RobynBachar
Title:Undead and Unappreciated (Queen Betsy, Book 3)
Authors:MaryJanice Davidson
Info:Berkley Sensation Hardcover (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:paranormal-romance

Undead and Unappreciated by MaryJanice Davidson (2005)

Betsy has not taken well to learning that not only is she a vampire but the queen of the vampires. Sure, her mother and her best friend adjusted to the change amazingly but even with that support, Betsy cannot seem to stay out of trouble. When Betsy learns that she has a half sister, she is drawn to investigate. Just like everything else in Betsy's life, nothing runs smoothly. In between dealing with a strike at her vampire club Scratch, and dealing with a hurt Eric, Betsy now has to keep a close eye on her sister because she is the child of the devil and destined to the rule the world.

I know from the introduction, it seemed that a lot happened in this book but that is certainly not the case. Only in the most generous description can Undead and Unappreciated be called a filler and I say that because the entire series is absolute mindless fluff. It begins with Betsy going to AA and pretending to be an alcoholic in order to deal with her need to drink blood. Look, I know that for a lot of people vampirism is a metaphor for addiction but to be clear, it's a horrible analogy. So, Davidson has Betsy do this horrible thing and it goes absolutely nowhere. It's nothing but a launching pad for Mark to tell Betsy that he is a recovering addict and for her to temporarily beat herself up for not knowing such an essential detail about a man she calls a friend before going back to obsessing about shoes and Eric's control issues.

Betsy goes all evil vampire Queen when she finally gets around to reading the Vampire bible. It only took her two books to get around it and naturally she decides to barricade herself in a room with it, ignoring the advice to read it sparingly because it causes mental illness. Also, can I get a side eye on the whole woo woo causing mental illness? In Betsy's supposedly mentally ill state, she attacks Jessica, calls Marc a leech, has sex with Eric and tries to kill Tina. When Betsy gets back to herself she has a mess to clean up. Though Jessica isolates herself for a few days, she is quick to forgive Betsy and Tina and Marc follow suit. Betsy is briefly able to go outside during the day but beyond that, nothing much happens.

Then there's Betsy's kid sister Laura. Betsy's father lets slip that Ant has been pregnant before and gave the child up for adoption. When Besty learns that Laura's mother is actually the devil and that Laura is destined to rule the world, Betsy is in with both feet temporarily and I say temporarily because Betsy gets over the whole hell spawn thing pretty quickly and starts to angst over her fear that Eric is into her kid sister. Betsy has amazing priorities doesn't she? Even when she meets the devil, she considers selling her soul for a pair of shoes. The Devil/Laura storyline goes absolutely nowhere. When I said that nothing happens in this book, I absolutely mean it.

Undead and Unappreciated wouldn't be a MaryJanice Davidson book without loads of problematic language. Betsy is still obsessed with Gone With The Wind and each time it's mentioned my skin absolutely crawls. Marc is Betsy's gay BFF, who at this point is single with no chance of a relationship and seems to have nothing to do with his spare time other than to be in Betsy's corner. We did learn that Marc is a recovering alcoholic in this book and Betsy did actually notice that she has not taken the time to learn anything substantial about Marc. Yes, that's progress for Betsy but it does nothing to make Marc less of a servant. Then there's Jessica, Betsy's Black BFF. Yes this woman has a collection of marginalized servants. Jessica seems to exist to serve Betsy and beyond being there to advise Betsy on her love life and pay the bills, Jessica has no real purpose in the story. For much of this series this far, Jessica's race serves as comic relief. Yep, Blackness as comic relief, feel free to roll your eyes.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 9, 2015 |
Third installment in the Undead series. This one has nearly everything going wrong for Betsy. She reads from the Book of the Dead and goes crazy for a night. She finds out not only that her stepmom is having another baby, but also had one before who turns out to literally be the spawn of Satan. Light and fun read overall. Read it in one day. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Dec 31, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit.

??Blurgh! Death loomed (again), and I was grossed out. It was the worst week ever. Again.ƒ? ~Queen Betsy

In Undead and Unappreciated, the third book in MaryJanice Davidsonƒ??s QUEEN BETSY series, a lot of stuff happens to Betsy ƒ?? she reads the Book of the Dead and becomes evil for a little while, she hurts her friends, she learns that her stepmother (who she hates) is pregnant, she negotiates with her unionized employees, she discovers that she has a half-sister who is the daughter of the devil, and she admits her feelings for ƒ??sin-in-a-suitƒ? Eric Sinclair.

Iƒ??ve been half-heartedly enjoying this silly little paranormal romance up to this point but Iƒ??m starting to lose my patience, mostly because of a lack of character development. After all that happens to her, Betsy is still the same old snarky shallow selfish brat that sheƒ??s been since... Read More:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/undead-and-unappreciated/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Once again, a fun read with laughs. This one didn't have as many laughs and the fun started to be a little tiring for me. To be fair, this the 3rd one I've read in a month so I may just need to put it down for a month or two. It is the same silliness and it can get old if you get to much at a time. I wanted to get down with the series, but I think I'll have to take it slowly.

In this installment, everything seems to go wrong for Betsy. She alienates her friends and Sinclair and feels all alone. Lucky thing she has found a new friend in her 1/2 sister who also may be the daughter of Satan She finds out that new friends cannot replace the old, what's a girl, Queen of the Vamps to do? Mope, whine about it, definitely. It is a fun story line but not as fun as the ones before it. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
Sassy, snarky humor paranormal romancey = the Betsy books. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |

Spier, NanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worrell, LesleyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu, NancyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, StefanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Queene's sister shalt be Belov'd of the Morning Star, and shalt take the Worlde. -- The Book of the Dead
Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself. -- Alcoholics Anonymous Step Four
Will you still need me, will you still please me, when I'm sixty-four? -- John Lennon and Paul McCartney
For my brother-in-law, Daniel, who never complains. No matter how often I try to drag good gossip out of him, dammit.
Once upon a time, the devil was bored, and possessed a not-very-nice pregnant woman, and ran that woman's body for about a year.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425207226, Mass Market Paperback)

Reluctant vampire queen Betsy Taylor may rule the topsy-turvy world of the undead, but now Betsy's discovered that she has a long-lost half-sister who's the devil's daughter--and destined to rule the underworld.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:23 -0400)

The newly crowned queen of the undead, fashion-savvy Betsy Taylor continues her reluctant reign while trying to uncover the truth about some troublesome family secrets.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,338,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible