The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen

The Apprentice (2002)

by Tess Gerritsen (Author)

Series: Rizzoli & Isles (2), Jane Rizzoli/Maura Isles (2)

Bleeding Out: A Mystery by Baxter Clare (DanieXJ)
    DanieXJ: Both have a take no prisoners, no holds barred Detective character as well as a very smart and interesting ME character. And both are the first part of a series of novels, so, lots to read.

English (49)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (55)
Book two of this series and the first to feature Maura Isles.

Again, this book was good but not fantastic, but I'm pretty sure my opinion is colored by my viewing of books of this genre as backups for me, what I read when I can't get my hands on a good fantasy novel.

Rizzoli's character, deeply effected by the events in The Surgeon, is much more likeable this time around. Wow, she's actually human!

Meeting Dr. Isles is much like meeting Jane in book 1, there isn't a lot to recommend her to the world. Oh, gee, a snarky, critical ME, this plot hasn't been used by EVERYONE.

The books pacing is virtually identical to book one, which means I could get tired of this series very quickly should she not find some variation. Still, her plot structure is more believable than most author's. Sorry folks, the best friend, featured in every scene of the book, is rarely the killer no one suspected. While I respect this stucture, it has yet to win my heart. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
3.5 stars
I really liked this sequel to the first Rizzoli & Isles novel. Whilst in the first book the focus was on Detective Moore and not on Rizzoli it has now shifted. Dr. Isles is also introduced but doesn't play an important part.

The story itself is solid; everything fits together rights, there are no loose ends. The characters are also well written. Gerritsen is very good in writing a character who you are not sure about if he's a good guy or a bad guy.

However well written the story and the characters are nothing really stands out. Within a couple of months I will probably find it difficult to remember the story without looking at a synopsis. ( )
  Rumpeltje | Sep 22, 2013 |
After having caught the surgeon there is a new perp in town, apparently just as vicious and mean as the surgeon, but nobody believes Rizzoli that the cases of those two serial killers who love to slaughter their victims in summer, have to be linked. The FBI agent who is involved in this case, even tries to get her of the case, especially after the surgeon (the murderer of the first book of the Rizzoli & Isles series) escapes from prison.
But of course, in the end Rizzoli seems to be right and she has to face the demons of the period while she tried to capture the surgeon who left more than physical marks on her body.
It is quite a shame that dr. Isles is only visible on the sideline. This Queen of the Death, as people call her, only proves to be a perfect professional who knows what she is doing.
But reading this story is very entertaining, thrilling and captures you deeply. What more do you want from a detective story. Well, you even get a wee love story. Isn't that just nice?! ( )
  Kaysbooks | Sep 18, 2013 |
I didn't think that there could be a more depraved storyline than in "The Surgeon" and yet this book managed to be.

The book starts with Warren Hoyt, the man nicknamed 'The Surgeon', in jail and Rizzoli getting involved in a new serial killer's case. (and seriously, really had a ton of serial killers, I should find out. But, in this piece of fiction it's two in two summers, yikes.) Anyway, Rizzoli keeps getting things thrown in her way as she investigates 'The Dominator'.

I thought that one of the unfortunate parts of the book was that there was just so much going on at the same time and so the actual central mystery got a bit lost. I sort of wanted to know more about 'The Dominator', not just the assumptions that the investigative team made, but actual facts about the man.

Still, for the most part this book was a good one. We get introduced to Rizzoli's future mystery solving partner, Medical Examiner Maura Isles and it was nice to see her in her original wrapping (i.e. before Gerritsen started going sorta crazy with the character in the following books).

A solid four stars. Good book that lay the foundation nicely for the rest of the Rizzoli & Isles series. ( )
  DanieXJ | Aug 16, 2013 |
I noted that the first Rizzoli & Isles book had only vague traces of the first episode of the TV show in it. I figured it was typical Hollywoodizing of source material, so I was pretty surprised to realize that this 2nd book in the series is nearly identical to the first episode. The Surgeon from the first book is back, and he has a new partner. I liked the show's episode better than the book mainly because Isles was featured more prominently, and I do like the friendship between TV-Isles and TV-Rizzoli. I hope that the books develop their friendship over time. The tastes of Isles that we get in The Apprentice satisfy me that there's at least a legitimate reason from the source material to make TV-Isles awfully similar to Temperence Brennan from Bones. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |

Gerritsen, TessAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Terrina en Mike
Today I watched a man die.

He may be behind bars, but Warren Hoyt still haunts a helpless city, bequeathing his evil legacy to a student all too diligent - and all too deadly. A year has passed since the capture of the Surgeon, serial killer Warren Hoyt, yet the memory of his brutal crimes continues to haunt Boston homicide detective Jane Rizzoli. Now she faces a new killer, a hunter who preys on well-to-do couples. For Rizzoli the death scenes have a horrifying air of familiarity, especially when she realizes that this new killer is copying one obscure element from Warren Hoyt's crimes. A new complication arises as a federal investigator from Washington joins the case. Again and again, Rizzoli clashes with Special Agent Gabriel Dean, who shows up at every crime scene. He knows something about this killer, something so politically explosive that he cannot reveal it to her. Then Warren Hoyt makes a brilliant and bloody escape from custody. Suddenly there is not one hunter on the loose, but two. And they are united, a pair of blood brothers who share grotesque appetites and a combined genius. They have joined forces to stalk the most challenging prey of all, the very woman who now hunts them ...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345447867, Mass Market Paperback)

Boston detective Jane Rizzoli hasn't completely recovered from the near-death experience at the hands of a serial killer (The Surgeon) that left her scarred and scared, but that doesn't keep her from going after a copycat murderer whose modus operandi is disturbingly familiar. Warren Hoyt may still be behind bars, but Jane thinks there's a connection between him and the man the police call the Dominator, based on the way this new fiend subdues and violates his victims before he kills them. Political interference from an FBI agent who seems to know more about the Dominator than anyone else only intensifies Jane's determination to solve the case. When Hoyt escapes from prison and teams up with his blood brother to take revenge on the policewoman who put him there, the pace of this truly frightening thriller picks up and drives the narrative to its violent conclusion. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:00 -0400)

He may be behind bars, but the Surgeon still haunts a helpless city, bequeathing his evil legacy to a student all too diligent - and all too deadly.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,362,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible