The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen

The Apprentice (2002)

by Tess Gerritsen

Bleeding Out: A Mystery by Baxter Clare (DanieXJ)
    DanieXJ: Both have a take no prisoners, no holds barred Detective character as well as a very smart and interesting ME character. And both are the first part of a series of novels, so, lots to read.

English (52)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (58)
12/16/14
The story was pretty good, but some aspects really bothered me. I don't understand why the romantic counterpoint was such an arrogant dick most of the time. Also, the story dragged on way longer than it needed to. I was ready for the book to be over around chapter 20. I'll continue on with the series, but with reservations.
---
4/3/16
I just finished reading it again, because I forgot I had already read it. Agent Dean was still obnoxious. I never got around to reading the next book, but I'm going to give it a shot, and hope for better development of the supporting characters. ( )
  khaddox | May 8, 2016 |
I loved this book 'The Apprentice' by Tess Gerritsen. I'm a big fan of strong, female characters and this book has that with Jane Rizzoli. However, that being said, I do also like it when an author acknowledges that a person can be both afraid of something and strong.

It doesn't always have to be one or the other. Hoyt and what he did to Rizzoli in 'The Surgeon' book, isn't something that she can just get over. I like that Rizzoli's fears concerning Hoyt and now the Dominator are shown and not hidden because it shows that she's human.

I like that Rizzoli didn't let her fears stop her from working on the case. Yes, she was afraid and doubted that she could handle it at times, but everyone has doubts. It's normal. I know this is just a book and not real life, but Rizzoli continuing to work the case shows strength and character, which she has plenty of both.

I liked that when Rizzoli was in the trunk, she went for her weapon, and when she got out of the trunk, the first thing she did was shoot the Dominator and then Hoyt. I'm glad that Rizzoli killed the Dominator and I wish that she had killed Hoyt, too. Even though Hoyt's paralyzed, I don't think that's going to keep him from continuing to be a pain in Rizzoli's butt.

This book was great, and I'm giving it 4 stars. It would've been 5 stars, but I really wanted her to kill Hoyt because he's a POS and I think that her killing him would be the only true way for Rizzoli to get justice and for her to finally be able to move on with her life. ( )
  Laina_Spaulding | Apr 16, 2016 |
Deirdre Lovejoy
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Book two of this series and the first to feature Maura Isles.

Again, this book was good but not fantastic, but I'm pretty sure my opinion is colored by my viewing of books of this genre as backups for me, what I read when I can't get my hands on a good fantasy novel.

Rizzoli's character, deeply effected by the events in The Surgeon, is much more likeable this time around. Wow, she's actually human!

Meeting Dr. Isles is much like meeting Jane in book 1, there isn't a lot to recommend her to the world. Oh, gee, a snarky, critical ME, this plot hasn't been used by EVERYONE.

The books pacing is virtually identical to book one, which means I could get tired of this series very quickly should she not find some variation. Still, her plot structure is more believable than most author's. Sorry folks, the best friend, featured in every scene of the book, is rarely the killer no one suspected. While I respect this stucture, it has yet to win my heart. ( )
1 vote drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
3.5 stars
I really liked this sequel to the first Rizzoli & Isles novel. Whilst in the first book the focus was on Detective Moore and not on Rizzoli it has now shifted. Dr. Isles is also introduced but doesn't play an important part.

The story itself is solid; everything fits together rights, there are no loose ends. The characters are also well written. Gerritsen is very good in writing a character who you are not sure about if he's a good guy or a bad guy.

However well written the story and the characters are nothing really stands out. Within a couple of months I will probably find it difficult to remember the story without looking at a synopsis. ( )
1 vote Rumpeltje | Sep 22, 2013 |
Voor Terrina en Mike
To Terrina and Mike
Today I watched a man die.

He may be behind bars, but Warren Hoyt still haunts a helpless city, bequeathing his evil legacy to a student all too diligent - and all too deadly. A year has passed since the capture of the Surgeon, serial killer Warren Hoyt, yet the memory of his brutal crimes continues to haunt Boston homicide detective Jane Rizzoli. Now she faces a new killer, a hunter who preys on well-to-do couples. For Rizzoli the death scenes have a horrifying air of familiarity, especially when she realizes that this new killer is copying one obscure element from Warren Hoyt's crimes. A new complication arises as a federal investigator from Washington joins the case. Again and again, Rizzoli clashes with Special Agent Gabriel Dean, who shows up at every crime scene. He knows something about this killer, something so politically explosive that he cannot reveal it to her. Then Warren Hoyt makes a brilliant and bloody escape from custody. Suddenly there is not one hunter on the loose, but two. And they are united, a pair of blood brothers who share grotesque appetites and a combined genius. They have joined forces to stalk the most challenging prey of all, the very woman who now hunts them ...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345447867, Mass Market Paperback)

Boston detective Jane Rizzoli hasn't completely recovered from the near-death experience at the hands of a serial killer (The Surgeon) that left her scarred and scared, but that doesn't keep her from going after a copycat murderer whose modus operandi is disturbingly familiar. Warren Hoyt may still be behind bars, but Jane thinks there's a connection between him and the man the police call the Dominator, based on the way this new fiend subdues and violates his victims before he kills them. Political interference from an FBI agent who seems to know more about the Dominator than anyone else only intensifies Jane's determination to solve the case. When Hoyt escapes from prison and teams up with his blood brother to take revenge on the policewoman who put him there, the pace of this truly frightening thriller picks up and drives the narrative to its violent conclusion. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

He may be behind bars, but the Surgeon still haunts a helpless city, bequeathing his evil legacy to a student all too diligent - and all too deadly.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,867,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible