Salt and Silver by Anna Katherine

Salt and Silver

by Anna Katherine

Once upon a time, poor little rich girl Ally opened a Door to hell in the basement of the diner where she was working. Now there’s a hunter stationed in front of it, killing what comes out and fighting his sexual tension with Ally using the power of snark and condescension. But then one day the Door disappears … I liked a lot of the structural worldbuilding: the various hells and avatars, and the concepts of wish-granting Doors that distort the humans they entice. I appreciated, but didn’t actually enjoy, that the story started from the premise that Ally and her love interest had known and been attracted to each other for a while. And I think part of that lack of enjoyment was that Ally’s narrative voice is that of a sixteen-year-old girl, though she’s supposed to be a grown woman managing a business. Lots of sentences ending in questions? And repetition of how hot her dude is? This led to a lot of caricatures—although I didn’t exactly trust Ally’s perceptions, she ended up portraying most of the characters as single-dimensional at best through her narration, even as more featured characters made clear that the author wasn’t the one making that mistake. I’d try another book by this author with a different narrator. ( )
  rivkat | Jun 17, 2012 |
Light, humorous, enjoyable. Interesting travel through the underworlds of various mythologies. ( )
  Helcura | Jan 20, 2010 |
Allie and her friends mistakenly opened a doorway to hell 6 years ago. Since then she's been managing the diner above said hell door, while assisting the mysterious demon hunter Ryan in fighting what comes through. When one day the door disappears, Allie, Ryan and some other hunters make a journey through some hell dimensions to find their door and stop it destroying the world.
I know this is marked as paranormal romance but I'd put it more on the urban fantasy side. It was a lot of fun.
  alasen_reads | Sep 3, 2009 |
This has been a pretty good month of reading for me. I have been pleasantly surprised by several urban fantasy/paranormal novels this month. I didn't think I would find anything as good as "Viscious Circle" for awhile. Yet "Salt and Silver" was even better! I was impressed and drawn in by EVERYTHING in this first novel by Anna Katherine. By page 120, I was online tryiing to make sure there would be a sequel. Allie is an ex-spoiled rich girl, who now runs a little diner. Its not just any old diner, but one that houses a door to Hell in the basement. Along with a portal to Hell, the diner gets its very own demon hunter, Ryan. For six years sexual tension has been building up between the two, alongside a deep friendship. Ryan is protective of Allie and teaches her some basics of demon hunting. Emotionally, though, he still keeps her at arms legnth. The tension and back story for Ray and Allie made it very easy to want these two together. So often in books I wonder about what drew the hero and heroine together. In "Salt and Silver" you can literally feel the pull between the two as the come togeteher and try to resolve what is going on between them. Allie has a very unique 'voice'. For the first chapter or so I wondered how I felt about it because it stood out as being so different. We are privy to her words, thoughts, feelings. The authors aren't shy about being very clear on how Allie feels about something and the writing was done craftily enough that it was very easy to feel empathy for her. The romance between Ryan and Allie is a well done subplot to the story and this book in my opinion is far from a paranormal romance. The central plot is very strong and compelling. When the door to hell in the diner suddenly disappears, Ryan and Allie find themselves planning a trip through the realms of Hell in their attempt to save the world. This was so different than anything I have read before and I have to give the authors kudos for a job well done here as well. Probably just shy of half the book tells of that trip through the underworld. Ryan and Allie have to face their fears and in the process they learn a lot more about each other, and more importantly themselves. I can't say enough good things about this book and yet I am hesitant to say any more. I want everyone to be as delighted and surprised by this book as I was. Read this now! ( )
1 vote pacey1927 | Aug 19, 2009 |
another paranormal mystery romance romp, a new author I have never heard from before, but the whole book was interesting and keep me on my toes I liked the whole thing and it's hard to find something different in this type of book now, very fun and fluffy but with a normal girl that has to kick a little but, and I do mean normal not svelte and gorgeous but a demon slayer by night, normal girl , portal to hell, stetson clad bad boy anti hero. I would read more it was really fun. ( )
1 vote averitasm | Jul 5, 2009 |
This is not a long or a complicated story.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765363046, Mass Market Paperback)

When trust fund baby-turned-waitress Allie and her friends accidentally open a Door to Hell in the basement of Sally’s Diner, they don’t realize the havoc it will wreak on their Brooklyn neighborhood. Of course, the upside to murder-happy demons coming through the Door all the time is that Allie gets her own sexy and mysterious demon hunter: the dark-eyed, leather-clad, Stetson-wearing Ryan.

Ryan teaches Allie everything he knows about fighting the creatures of the underworld—but refuses to give in to the sexual tension that simmers between them.  Allie has almost given up on taking her relationship with Ryan to the next level when there’s a surge in demonic activity... and the Door disappears.

Now Allie and Ryan have to travel through Hell, literally, to try to stop Hell from taking over the Earth. They may not survive the trip, but Allie is about to discover something very important: Mortal peril is a total turn-on.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:34 -0400)

"When trust fund baby turned waitress Allie and her friends accidentally open a Door to Hell in the basement of Sally's Diner, they don't realize the havoc it will wreak on their Brooklyn neighborhood. Of course, the upside to murder-happy demons coming through the Door all the time is that Allie gets her own sexy and mysterious demon hunter: the dark-eyed, leather-clad, Stetson-wearing Ryan..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,610,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible