Pillow Talk by Freya North

Pillow Talk

by Freya North

200558,750 (3.36)2

I loved how important Tanzanite was to this story as it is my favorite gem. I also liked how everything ending up resolving at the end. What I didn't like was how slow the beginning was. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Oct 19, 2012 |
This book started off well and for the first 1/3, I found it easy to read. North gives us an engaging story up to that point and a heroine that is easy to relate to. Her sleepwalking also made her sympathetic. Her boyfriend, Rob, was a cliched "bad boyfriend" that you tend to find in these types of books but that wasn't too bothersome. North's writing style also has a nice flow.

However, after Petra and Arlo are reunited, the story seemed to drag on. I like for these types of novels to end at the HEA because when they don't, they usually become very mushy and boring. That's exactly what happens to Pillow Talk. Between them getting together and then leaving each other for extremely contrived reasons (view spoiler), the mushy talks, and the navel gazing of both Arlo and Petra, I was so happy when this book finally ended. ( )
  ModernMuslimah | May 25, 2012 |
Pillow Talk is a story told in the present and the past of two people, Petra and Arlo who knew each other in school and come across each other again after 17 years. These two people have had heartaches of their own to deal with during those 17 years. Petra is a jewelry maker and works with three of her best friends in a studio that they share in London. Arlo is a teacher at a private school for boys in the country and is also a musician. These two people lead totally different lives but a chance meeting throws them together again and as they start to get closer, pride and secrets threaten the relationship that is growing between them. I enjoy British authors and liked this book a lot. The author writes with wit and humor that makes this a very enjoyable story. ( )
  celticlady53 | Jul 11, 2011 |
Like a slice of chocolate mud cake. An excellent indulgence but you couldn't have 2 slices in a row. ( )
  Olivine | Oct 17, 2009 |
Please note: Review contains spoilers. [EDITED TO ADD: Also, this is a review of PILLOW TALK by FREYA North, not HAILEY North].

Petra is a jeweller in London, Arlo is a music teacher up north. Once, long ago when they were both still at school, they shared a moment at a rock concert. Now, a lifetime later, they meet again, and both wonder if the second time really is the charm.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I loved that both Petra and Arlo came across as decent people without being perfect. Petra is full of insecurities, so desperate to be loved that she forces herself to stay with a guy who is clearly not Mister Right. And Arlo has convinced himself that life is better when love and intimacy are left out of the equation. I liked the reasons for why they both became the people they are, though I had to squint a bit in Arlo's case because it sounded a little extreme, but, hey, it's suitably romantically tragic.

Seriously, I thought this was a pretty good example of fun, romantic chick-lit, and I heartily recommend it to anyone looking for something frothy and amusing to read. And I shall be looking for more of Freya North's books, given this was the first novel of hers I'd ever read. ( )
1 vote iamza | Mar 5, 2008 |
In loving memory of my grandmothers, Grandma Rennie and Grandma Net. Never far from my thoughts and always in my heart.
Something isn't quite right - I have a hunch about this.

Petra Flint is a talented jeweller, crafting beautiful pieces intended to delight and enchant. But she has a troubled past which manifests itself in frequent sleepwalking. She'd love stability, but because of past experiences and the bad example set by her parents, she's understandably cautious. In fact, she doubts true love exists.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible