Stone's Fall: A Novel by Iain Pears

Stone's Fall: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Iain Pears

Info:Spiegel & Grau (2009), Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Historical Fiction

Stone's Fall by Iain Pears

Recently added byjasbro, bug60, pursuitofsanity, dverg48, JohnDoe1, private library, recrawfo
19th century (26) 2009 (8) 2011 (9) 20th century (12) 21st century (6) ARC (22) audio (6) British (11) crime (8) England (31) espionage (14) fiction (166) finance (25) France (13) historical (20) historical fiction (87) historical mystery (18) industry (10) Italy (10) Kindle (10) London (42) mystery (95) novel (19) Paris (37) read (9) read in 2009 (8) thriller (7) to-read (30) UK (6) Venice (46)

English (48)  Dutch (4)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (53)
Another gem from Iain Pears, Stones Fall is the author, once again, spinning a complex, intriguing mystery with a wonderful style that is as awesome as taking in a majestic painting at a gallery. The author is a master of creating literary masterpieces. This author challenges me while completely entertaining me. I learn a great deal from each of his books. Not just the facts of the story and the location, history, etc, but in how to structure a story and tell it with unmatched style. ( )
  pife43 | Jan 17, 2014 |
I really liked An Instance of the Fingerpost and his art history mysteries, but I could not stand this book. It took me forever to get into it, and every time I looked forward to sitting down and reading it, I found myself so bored I fell asleep.

I made it all the way through the Braddock section and about halfway through the Henry Cort section before I got fed up and just read the surprise ending (last 4 pages or so). I don't feel like I missed much. ( )
  sansmerci | Jul 2, 2013 |
Review from Clare Clark though I enjoyed the first section and didn't think it dragged at all plus didn't find the ending 'unconvincing and unnecessary'....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/may/09/iain-pears-stones-fall ( )
  jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
This book was a challenge for me to read. It was recommended to me by someone in my personal life, and I would have never have picked this subject matter on my own. There was a lot information about banking, and finance, and how that world works. So there was a lot of learning that I had to do while reading it. That aside, Pears is a wonderful writer, the story was excellent, and I guarantee you, you won't know the ending. It also gave way to a great conversation after I finished it, so I would highly recommend this if you like suspense, and murder mysteries. ( )
  Nazgullie | Dec 29, 2012 |
Smart mystery. Time well spent. ( )
  Bootsie4leblanc | Nov 5, 2012 |
“Stone’s Fall,” ... gives the reader the expected more-than-500 pages and also what is not expected at all: a female character who might have stepped out of Balzac, along with a view of the belle époque that is neither anachronistic nor censorious. .... In the last third, Pears finds himself somewhat in the situation of the clumsy home improver who, deciding to decorate his front room, finds he has painted himself into a corner.

This sprawling, unconventional, occasionally dazzling novel ends with an unconvincing and unnecessary denouement which serves only to undermine the foundations of the elaborate edifice he has worked so painstakingly to create.
added by geoffmiles | editGuardian, Clare Clark (May 9, 2009)

The assurance and invention with which this novel is written are alike remarkable. Pears manages his complicated structure with a confidence and dexterity possible only to a master of the craft of fiction. ... Better, more profound novels may be published this year, but I shall be surprised if there is one that offers more complete enjoyment.

Iain Pearsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Relph, LiamCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my mother
The Church of Saint-Germain des Pres, at the start of what was supposed to be Spring, was a miserable place, made worse by the drabness of a city still in a state of shock, worse still by the little coffin in front of the altar which was my reason for being there, worse again by the aches and pains of my body as I kneeled.

A return to the form that launched Iain Pears onto bestseller lists around the world: a vast historical mystery, marvelous in its ambition and ingenius in its complexity.

In his most dazzling novel since the groundbreaking New York Times bestseller An Instance of the Fingerpost, Iain Pears tells the story of John Stone, financier and arms dealer, a man so wealthy that in the years before World War One he was able to manipulate markets, industries, and indeed entire countries and continents.

A panoramic novel with a riveting mystery at its heart, Stone’s Fall is a quest to discover how and why John Stone dies, falling out of a window at his London home.

Chronologically, it moves backwards–from London in 1909 to Paris in 1890, and finally to Venice in 1867– and in the process the quest to uncover the truth plays out against the backdrop of the evolution of high-stakes international finance, Europe’s first great age of espionage, and the start of the twentieth century’s arms race.

Like Fingerpost, Stone’s Fall is an intricately plotted and richly satisfying puzzle–an erudite work of history and fiction that feels utterly true and oddly timely–and marks the triumphant return of one of the world’s great storytellers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:54 -0400)

In this dazzling historical mystery, John Stone, financier and arms dealer, dies falling out of a window at his London home. The quest to uncover the truth behind his death plays out against the backdrop of high-stakes international finance, Europe's first great age of espionage, and the start of the twentieth century's arms race.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible