Look Again by Lisa Scottoline

Look Again

by Lisa Scottoline

English (82)  Italian (1)  All (83)
I’m not really sure what I think of this book. There were parts I liked and parts I didn’t. The book dragged at the beginning, and I really didn’t get interested until I was nearly halfway through. And while the book was somewhat predictable, the ending kind of surprised me.

This is a story about an adoptive mother who one day sees a ‘Have You Seen Me?’ postcard with her son’s face on the card. At least he sure does look like her son! Ellen can’t ignore it, and rather than just pitch the card and get on with her life, she feels compelled to investigate — she IS a reporter, after all! She realizes this may present a dilemma down the road. If she finds out her ‘Will’ is really the missing ‘Timothy’, will she call his biological parents to give him up, or will she just pretend it never happened? At this point the story had a bit of “The Face On The Milk Carton” feel to it. A good portion of the book is spent on her attempt to determine Will’s parentage. Oonce she thinks she knows the truth, she begins to think that her son’s life could be in danger.

This brings up one thing that I really didn’t like. Ellen made many bad choices along the way. Ellen has a mutual crush on her attractive Brazilian editor. They try to keep the relationship business-like, but eventually they give in to their mutual attraction. I don’t have a problem with this. What threw me was the timing. Ellen feels that she is about to lose her son, that their is an imminent threat to his safety, yet at that exact point, she spends the night with her editor! Then as she hurries home, she opts NOT to call the cops.

I also feel like things wrapped up just a little too neatly, with the pieces falling into place just a much too easily. I was pretty sure all along what the eventual outcome would be, but the way it happened still surprised me. This won’t be one of my ‘best reads in 2017’ but it was an interesting read and a pretty good way to spend my lazy summer afternoon on the deck. ( )
  Time2Read2 | May 31, 2017 |
This book is so good! I was hooked from the first page. I did not want to stop reading to go to sleep. I could not wait to find out what happened and if Will really was the boy in the missing child bulletin. A very interesting read recommend. ( )
  Thelmajean | May 10, 2017 |
Scottoline does a good job navigating the legal, ethical and moral journey of the story's premise but beyond that, there really wasn’t a whole lot for me to love, or even like about this one. The writing is rather light-weight, more suited for a ChickLit or contemporary romance novel than a gut-wrenching thriller as this one is billed to be. Ellen as a character was impossible for me to accept. When she isn't day-dreaming about being romantically linked to Marcelo (her immediate supervisor at the newspaper) or engaging in some passive-aggressive office battles with her fellow journalist Sarah, Ellen is off throwing caution (and her job) to the wind when she decides that "she" needs to find out for herself Will's true lineage and embarks on a solo investigation to the point where she engages in behaviour akin to stalking and at some points in the story, comes across as a bit unhinged, and not in a very realistic way. I get that Scottoline is a single parent and may view things from a perspective different than mine (I am not a parent), but I found it very disturbing how focused the messaging is on mothers and how Ellen communicates that a mother's love is different, regardless of whether the mother is the birth mother. The story downplays male roles in general and IMO really takes a bit of a swipe at relegating the father to a secondary role as a parent and care-giver, which I found disturbing. I expected the story to have a bit more objectivity to it and not have such a "blinders on" female focus. It doesn't help that some of the dialogue was a weird mixed-bag of 40-something/20-something lingo and didn't always flow like a normal conversation would. There are also some continuity and just general common sense issues that if this had been a movie, would have driven me crazy.

Overall, this story probably works for readers who like their action-packed thrillers to be of the soap opera/romance beach read variety.

This was my first Scottoline read and while her stories may appeal to some readers (as some glowing reviews tend to suggest), I will be

passing on her other books as not my type of read. ( )
  lkernagh | Feb 26, 2017 |
This book is a real page-turner. You immediately get to like the characters, especially the main character. The chapters are short and manageable, as well, without actually skimping on the story or making it seem shorter than it is, which is great. The chapter length, tone of the story, and the immediately-likable characters reminded me a bit of Mary Higgins Clark's books.

The story line surrounding the main character and her son seems convoluted and, I will admit, at the same time is highly predictable. However, there are definitely some twists along the way that I was not expecting, and the climax of the book really surprised me with some of the choices Scottoline made in the execution of it.

There is a romance in the book, though it is pretty downplayed (which I really liked). There are a few places where Scottoline seems to focus on the romance, however, that really just sort of seemed unnecessary and out of place to me. It just felt a bit shoved in. But, I think it's fairly easy to see why she chose to do it that way, and really I only noticed two scenes, and only one for absolute certain, where this is the case. And how this romance is dealt with at work is never really mentioned. I think that ends up being the one and only loose end that didn't get answered for us to make a totally nice bow. But, since that wasn't at all the focus or point of the book, but rather just a side note if you ask me, I think it's forgivable and easily overlooked.

I would definitely read this book again, and I would totally recommend it for others. But, beware...there are some areas toward the end that will require you to have your tissue box handy! Even if you aren't a parent, Scottoline easily manages to convey the deep emotions that are necessary for those scenes regardless. Definitely worth a read! ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
This is the best book I have read all summer.It is my 3rd Lisa Scottoline book.
A tired mother comes home to her young son and babysitter, mail in hand. Among the letters is a white card with these words, "Have you seen this child?" Look again, Timothy Braverman looks like her son Will.

That is how it starts and now you are on a roller coaster of emotions. Who is the good guy? Who is the bad guy? Who do I pull for?
Here is a link to the book trailer. http://scottoline.com/Books/lookagain.html
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Starred Review. Bestseller Scottoline (Lady Killer) scores another bull's-eye with this terrifying thriller about an adoptive parent's worst fear—the threat of an undisclosed illegality overturning an adoption. The age-progressed picture of an abducted Florida boy, Timothy Braverman, on a have you seen this child? flyer looks alarmingly like Philadelphia journalist Ellen Gleeson's three-year-old son, Will, whom she adopted after working on a feature about a pediatric cardiac care unit. Ellen, who jeopardizes her newspaper job by secretly researching the Braverman case, becomes suspicious when she discovers the lawyer who handled her adoption of Will has committed suicide. Meanwhile, Will's supposed birth mother, Amy Martin, dies of a heroin overdose, and Amy's old boyfriend turns out to look like the man who kidnapped Timothy. Scottoline expertly ratchets up the tension as the desperate Ellen flies to Miami to get DNA samples from Timothy's biological parents. More shocks await her back home.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

Where did you come from, baby dear?/Out of the everywhere into the here./Wheredid you get your eyes so blue?/Out of the skies as I came through. --George MacDonald, At the Back of the NorthWind
Where have you been, my blue-eyed son? --Bob Dylan "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall"
For my beloved daughter
Ellen Gleeson was unlocking her front door when something in the mail caught her attention.
"Ellen finally let herself listen to her heart, which had been trying to tell her something..."

When reporter Ellen Gleeson gets a “Have You Seen This Child?” flyer in the mail, she almost throws it away. But something about it makes her look again, and her heart stops—the child in the photo is identical to her adopted son, Will. Her every instinct tells her to deny the similarity between the boys, because she knows her adoption was lawful. But she’s a journalist and won’t be able to stop thinking about the photo until she figures out the truth. And she can’t shake the question: if Will rightfully belongs to someone else, should she keep him or give him up? She investigates, uncovering clues no one was meant to discover, and when she digs too deep, she risks losing her own life—and that of the son she loves.
Timothy's missing!
Will Gleeson is adopted.
Who gets to keep him?
(Time2Read2)

When reporter Ellen Gleeson gets a "Have You Seen This Child?" flyer in the mail, her heart stops--the child in the photo is identical to her adopted son, Will. She investigates the story behind the flyer, uncovering clues no one was meant to discover, and when she digs too deep, she risks losing her own life--and that of the son she loves.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible