Deadlock by Iris Johansen

Deadlock

by Iris Johansen

Recently added byErina39

Emily Hudson, an archrologist sent into various war zones in order to protect ancient artifacts by the UN. Emily and her assistant Joel are captured by an evil group of men in the mountains of Afghanistan who are looking for an ancient Russian treasure known as Zelov's Hammer. Emily's only chance of survival lays in the hands of former CIA agent John Garrett, an expert at the spy game.

It's going to seem like I'm ranting here but...I would venture to say a full 80% of "Deadlock" consists of one character trying to dissuade another character from "going along". Meaning that Garrett is supposed to go somewhere, and spends half a chapter telling Emily why it's not a good idea she "go along". Or Emily decides to go somewhere and spends half a chapter telling Irana why "she shouldn't come". Seriously, the protagonists bicker for most of the book about who should go where accompanied by whom. It's like those old "I Love Lucy" shows where Lucy wants to be in Ricky's show, and he refuses...but you just know Lucy is going to appear in the show. So eventually everyone goes everywhere with everybody...and you realize you've just spent 15 chapters reading the same thing over and over again. You just want to scream...JUST LET THEM GO ALONG...and spare us the debate. So in the spirit of the book let me advise you "You really shouldn't go along" with reading this novel. 2.5 stars because the idea of the story was great it just never materialized. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I have been reading Iris' books since the early 80s. I've enjoyed her growth as an author from the romance genre into the mainstream. She continues to deliver good reads. Nice mystery with sufficient twist and turns to keep leading you to the very end. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Awesome book! I definitely want to read more of her books! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I like past Iris Johansen novels. The Ugly Duckling is probably my favorite. I don't like this one; and resent the fact that this book tried to be like The Ugly Duckling. The plot was weak, the characters were stilted, the action was UNaction. Based I this book alone, I wouldn't try or recommend other Iris Johansen novels. However, I have read some other her other work and expect better...and would recommend readers stay away from this novel. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
Emily Hudson, artifacts expert for UN, captured in Afghanistan? with partner Joel Levy, tortured for weeks, enemy looking for a specific artifact ( )
  dbree007 | Aug 28, 2010 |

Emily Hudson, a U.N. artifacts expert, is trying to track down a vicious criminal who may have stolen Zelov's hammer. Hidden inside the old mallet is a treasure map to the long-lost riches of Russia's assassinated Romanov family. Helping Hudson is a rough-and-ready CIA tracker, whose physical charms prove irresistible to the usually proud and independent Hudson.

Emily Hudson is an archeologist who travels the world in search of priceless artifacts from war-torn countries and other hot spots.    Her best friend and partner, Joel Levy, is always at her side—until one day, her entire crew is massacred and Joel and Emily are held captive. Victims of one of the most ruthless and evil human beings on earth.  For two weeks they try to survive, until Emily is the unwitting instrument in Joel’s demise.

John Garrett has worked for the CIA, MI6, and whoever else needed his services.  Now, the CIA comes calling with a desperate mission for him: save Emily Hudson.  But their may be more to this job than they let him know.  And soon, his connection to Emily has him questioning everything he thought to be true.  Emily has vengeance on her mind.  Will Garrett aid her in getting revenge?  Can Emily help him get to the truth behind a bigger conspiracy?  Or will they both die trying…With lightning-fast pacing, plot twists and shocking betrayals, Iris Johansen is at the top of her game in this latest thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:36 -0400)

SUMMARY: Mercenary John Garrett is on a mission to rescue artifact experts Emily Hudson and Joel Levy after they were abducted by a ruthless thief intent on finding the missing link to their treasure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,515,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible