Taken by Storm by Angela Morrison

Taken by Storm

by Angela Morrison

Micheal is a diver and he is the survivor of a hurricane that killed his parents, and understandably he is broken and depressed. He has flashbacks and yearning to get back into the water. He moves in with his Grandma in the winter in Teacup and ...more Taken by Storm is a heart wrenching, beautifully written story of forbidden love. It is written from dual points of view- Micheal's dive book written journal style and Leesie's in the form of poems. I devoured this book and am left craving more.
Micheal is a diver and he is the survivor of a hurricane that killed his parents, and understandably he is broken and depressed. He has flashbacks and yearning to get back into the water. He moves in with his Grandma in the winter in Teacup and is numb. The Mormon "Ice Queen" of the school breaks through his walls and they fall in love. Leesie feels for him and wants to help him, and Micheal comes to need her, and begins to want to feel, want to heal.
They are both wonderful characters with voices that come through strong in their writing. I felt emotionally invested in the characters, and wanted the best for them. But it is hard to discern what really is the best. Can love conquer all? Loving one another and staying together means that one of them will have to cave- Micheal is used to showing his love through sex, and Leesie strong religious convicts her that she is to stay pure (no tongue, both feet on the floor among other rules.)
Though religion is important to Leesie, she does not come off as preachy to me. I think that she does well to show that God is important to her, she does not want to cave in her beliefs and convictions, but she doesn't want to force it on Michael. She invites him to events and she talks to him about it, but she truly hopes that it might be the thing to help.
Spoiler!!!!

The ending to me is hard to process- but I also really appreciate it. They do what is best for them personally- pursuing college and his diving- their dreams, and hold off on their love because it would hold them back. It is hard though because I want it to work out for them to stay together and still fulfill their dreams, but I do know that there is a second book out, and I am eager to read it and see how it all comes together.

All in all I loved this story and would recommend it. It is a story of romance, staying true to self, healing, and friendship. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Oct 23, 2010 |
Spoiler!!!!

brandileigh2003 | Oct 23, 2010 |
I fell in love with Angela Morrison's writing when I read Sing Me to Sleep two months ago. That beautiful story touched me so much, I was desperate to read more, so I quickly bought Taken By Storm, Morrison's debut novel, prepared to be swept away. I am thrilled to tell you I was not disappointed! I absolutely loved this story! So much emotion, it's wonderful!

I'm going to start with the writing, because it's just brilliant. I'm not a diver, nor am I a Mormon, but you don't need to be either to follow this story. Morrison goes to great pains to make sure we understand what's going on, whether it be how a diver prepares for a dive, or the beliefs of Mormans, and it's all so fascinating! The way Morrison describes the world in our oceans is just so beautiful; you can actually see it, the reefs, the fish, the plant life. It's just gorgeous!

The structure is just genius! Most of the story is told in first person from Michael's point of view, through diary entries into his diving log, which contains details at the beginning of each entry such as dive buddy, date, dive #, location, site, etc. At the start and end of the book, those categories are all taken literally, but as time goes on, it can refer to who he's with, where, how he's feeling, and so on, and it's a great way to see Michael's state of mind before actually reading the entry. For some reason, he never capitalises "I", but it's a little quirk that makes him seem more real.
Leesie doesn't narrate at all, but we do get inside her head through the numerous poems she writes, and the online conversations she has with a friend, Kim, who lives in a different state, and Michael. For someone who isn't exactly telling the story, I found her really relatable, and feel I heard her voice just as much as Michael's. Just fantastic.

The plot is just awesome. Michael is grieving over the death of his parents, and isn't coping too well, suffering from nightmares and visions, and Leesie is the only one who can seem to keep it all at bay. However, Michael isn't used to having to control himself, so finds it really difficult to stick to Leesie's rules as a Mormon. Having been passionately in love twice before, Michael doesn't see how you can get close enough to someone to fall in love without actually loving them, like he feels so much he's unable to express it well in any other way.

Leesie knows it's possible, because of how she feels for him, and has to stop him on more than one occasion. I found Leesie's predicament really relatable. As I said, I'm not a Morman, but I do have strong morals for myself that are similar to her own to a certain degree, and can understand her having trouble balancing wanting to do what's right - or not doing what's not right - as she believes with what Michael wants and, if she's truthful, she also wants. So there's conflict in whether Leesie can actually get Michael past his grief, and if Michael can accept her rules and stick with her. Although Michael is never too much of an idiot about it all, Leesie is amazing in her strength to say "no" to him and herself and stick to her guns. I was rooting for her throughout. I have to say, this may be the only YA novel I've read so far where I haven't been going mad at the characters to get a move on, but the actual opposite.

There really isn't any way I could possibly do this book justice. It's an amazingly beautiful, powerfully emotional story that I can now add to my favourites. I'm now eagerly awaiting the sequel, Unbroken Connection, which is now avaiable as an ebook, to come out in paperback so I can jump right back into Michael and Leesie's story. Absolutely brilliant.

From Once Upon a Bookcase - YA book blog ( )
  Stapps | Aug 24, 2010 |
Taken by Storm is unlike any book I've ever read. It's told through Michael's journal-like dive log, Leesie's poems, and online chats. One thing that really surprised me was that reading Leesie's short poems gave me just as much insight into her character as reading the longer, more detailed accounts in Michael's dive log gave me into his.

Now, I'm not a religious person, I'm not even sure what my beliefs are, so the fact that one of the characters is a devout Mormon could have been a deal breaker. But it wasn't. Leesie's religion was part of her character, just like Michael's non religion was a part of his. I never felt like I was being preached to, or that the author was trying to convert me, which could have easily been the case.

The romance between Leesie and Michael was a whirlwind, and very, very complicated. She couldn't do more than kiss with both feet on the floor, he didn't think that there could be love without sex. That led to some interesting scenes. They definitely weren't perfect by far, but they worked. Michael grieving his parents death was a big part of it too. He needed her to help him through it.

The storyline is great and the characters are real. I finished it last night and I'm still thinking about it. The one time I had to walk away from it I couldn't focus on anything else. I would highly recommend this book to fans of romance. ( )
  book_worm127 | Apr 2, 2010 |
Reviewed by Amber Gibson for TeensReadToo.com

Angela Morrison's TAKEN BY STORM is a romance with heart - a tale of love, not lust.

Leesie is a good Mormon girl, living by her faith and following the rules of her church in all realms of her life. Even though kids at school think of her as a prude and call her the "Ice Queen," Leesie is proud to be Mormon. From the official bathroom graffiti tally, Leesie is deemed by her male classmates to have the best behind in school. However, even the most persistent of the boys know that there is no hope of ever getting with her.

When Michael Walden arrives in Leesie's small town, barely surviving a tragic scuba diving storm that killed both of his parents, everyone is intrigued. Anti-social and enveloped in his own post-traumatic stress, Leesie is the only person that Michael will open up to. The two may seem to be an unlikely match, innocent Leesie and disturbed Michael, but each offers the other priceless comfort and care.

As their relationship progresses, Leesie learns what love means for the first time, exploring the boundaries of her Mormon beliefs and bending her strict rules to the point of breaking. It is not easy to hold back when she experiences a snowballing passion unlike anything she has ever imagined.

Meanwhile, Michael longs to return to the scuba diving that is in his blood while overcoming the pain of his parents' sudden death. His relationship with Leesie is especially valuable at this vulnerable time, in spite of the self-imposed boundaries of her Mormon faith.

Can Michael and Leesie's love blossom despite their differences in background?

TAKEN BY STORM is never preachy, but a genuine and heartfelt struggle of faith. Morrison portrays teenage romance from an unusually elegant perspective. The importance of physicality in a relationship is never denied, but Morrison shows that teenagers are capable of rising above carnal temptation to appreciate a more spiritual and emotional side of love.

Morrison's experience with scuba diving and her Mormon upbringing add a very personal and realistic element to her story. Like fellow Mormon author Stephenie Meyer, Morrison approaches the theme of romance from a rare angle, shying away from the crass and blunt. Fans of Meyer's TWILIGHT will enjoy this non-vampiric tale with similar romantic chords. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
What does it matter if
another jock pinches me

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514238X, Hardcover)

Leesie Hunt has many rules: No kissing. No sex. No dating outside the Mormon faith.

When Michael Walden?a deep-sea diver who lost his parents in a violent hurricane?arrives in town, Leesie sees someone who needs her. They fall for one another, even though his dreams are tied to the depths of the ocean and hers to salvation above.

Will their intense chemistry be too strong to resist?

Leesie and Michael must make the hardest choice of their lives: whether to follow their beliefs or their hearts.

Readers will be swept away by this tale of forbidden romance told in online chats, Leesie?s chapbook poems, and Michael?s dive log. It?s as steamy as Twilight and just as clean.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:20 -0400)

When Michael, a deep sea diver whose parents have just died in a hurricane, arrives in town, Leesie, a devout Mormon, falls in love with him as she tries to help him overcome his grief, and then they must see if they can reconcile their very different beliefs.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible