Interstitial by Ann Somerville

Interstitial

by Ann Somerville

Well, well, well this book surprised me. Truth be told I didn't buy it as soon as it was out, even if I like Ann Somerville's work, due to the menage matter. You know me well friends, I'm not keen first of cheating men, second of BDSM and third of menage: simple, I don't like a woman between MY men.

But, without give up the book, I need to give kudos to Ann Somerville, since she wrote one of the few menage story I can without problems, say that I like.

Seb is the captain, North the pilot, and Jati the engineering. All of them are embarking for a long mission in a spaceship and it's not the moment to argue. And instead they are arguing a lot. Twenty four hours before Seb and North met in a pub and they spent a night together, but the morning after Seb left mumbling some weak excuses of 'this is against the rules', 'I shouldn't do it'.

Seb is rebounding from a divorce (with a man, in this futurist setting same sex marriage is not an issue) and he has just learnt that his ex spouse is remarrying and moving out from their home. Worst he wants to sell the house and have a clean start. Obviously Seb is not ready, since he is still harboring the hope to reconquer him sooner or later.

North instead thinks that Seb is ready, and when he meets him out of duty, he is willing and ready to give the handsome captain some reasons more for a new beginning. Saved being dumped the morning after and begin to sulk and pout like a teen in heat. Worst, he breaks up quite abruptly a fuck--buddy relationship he had with Jatila, a fellow officer.

Pity that Jatila was thinking that what she had with North could be something more that a friend with benefits relationship. And when North is greatly surprise by her reaction, she understands that he had no idea of what she was feeling.

So these are the very 'good' conditions before the journey starts. Add to them an alien's attack to the spaceship and our trio will have to deal with a lot more of what they probably can.

This is a very good mix between sci-fic and romance. Both parts are deeply and satisfyingly dealt, and the characters are complex and interesting, and it says a lot on the author that she manages to do that in a book of less than 90 pages.

Also the end is right for the story, and, I don't know, I feel like the author will give us something more on this trio. Sorry if I give you not more details, but sincerely this is a book you should read discovering things by yourself, to preserve you the same surprise I had.

elisa.rolle | May 14, 2008 |

Love triangles. Alien monsters. Planetary war. Just another day in space.

Sebastien ven Hester, decorated war hero and captain of the sentient cargo ship Naurus, can face any danger—except his own feelings. Jason North, his pilot, finds out the hard way that Seb’s not ready for a relationship after his recent divorce. And Jatila Kan, their engineer, discovers her feelings for North aren’t returned—because her lover’s pining after another man.

Not the best situation for a crew starting a three-week run across the galaxy.

But there are bigger terrors in space than their messy love triangle. A ruthless, horrifying enemy stands ready to test them to their physical and emotional limits.

Failure means certain death not only to themselves and their passengers, but to the entire planetary alliance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible