Nightschool (The Weirn Books, Vol. 2) (v. 2)…

Nightschool (The Weirn Books, Vol. 2) (v. 2)

by Svetlana Chmakova

The weird just keeps getting weirder. Sarah has disappeared and no one even remembers she ever existed. Alex is having memory loses. Three Hunters have had their time stolen from then. To top it all off, the super hot Mr. Roi keeps refusing to show-up to teach his classes! ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
I found this at a used bookstore.

This volume comes with a few more answers, although there are still lots and lots of questions. Now that Alex has enrolled in Nightschool in an effort to find her sister, who no one seems to remember exists, readers are given a more detailed look at how Nightschool works from a student's perspective. Alex has to fill out an application, take a tour of the school, and attend class. It all reminded me a little of Hogwarts – the school's floor plan doesn't stay the same from one day to the next, one floor of the school contains an actual forest and a lake, etc. There's even a teacher who seems to take an immediate dislike to Alex, patronizing her when she learns that Alex has been home schooled up until now.

The Hunter and Nightschool groups are still mostly separate, but there's a little overlap that will likely prove dangerous for Alex in the future. Daemon, the teacher of the young Hunters, has Nightschool connections in the form of Mr. Roi. Now it's not just the Hunters looking for Alex, but also Mr. Roi, who's about to become her newest teacher. And Alex still doesn't realize she has done something wrong. Oh boy. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

As much as I'm enjoying the story, there really is too much going on. Someone at the Nightschool has made Alex's sister disappear like she never existed in the first place. Alex has some kind of curse that still hasn't been explained. The shifters are trying to get Marina back as their personal seer. Several of the Hunters may die from whatever it was Alex did to them unless Mr. Roi can figure out how to help them. There may be traitors in both the Nightschool and Hunter group. Remember, this is volume two, and the series is only four volumes long.

While I'm sure that some or all of these things will have overlapping explanations/conclusions, all this stuff that's going on makes it hard to really get to know the characters. I had one confusing moment when I thought one of the Nightschool students was calling Daemon “teacher,” until I remembered that she was yet another Hunter. And I didn't realize until this volume that the Hunters are apparently not human. Or at least I'm assuming that, since one of the characters talked about something they specifically referred to as “Hunter poison.”

I enjoyed this volume more than the first. I love the Astrals, the moment when Alex shows Mrs. Murrey what she's capable of is absolutely awesome, I can't wait to see what happens when Alex and Mr. Roi meet for the first time, and I'm definitely interested in what's going on. I just wish there were more focus on individual characters. There are quite a few I'd love to know more about.

Extras:

There's an author's note in comic format, plus a couple of pages of fan art. Also, a couple pages of the story are in full-color.

(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Oct 6, 2013 |

"When Alex's sister, Sarah, vanishes and all memory and evidence of her existence is erased, Alex is determined to get to the bottom of her sister's disappearance. What better place to start her investigations than the Nightschool itself? But when she discovers that sneaking into the Nightschool isn't as simple as it might seem, Alex enrolls as a student. But is she prepared for what she might find?" -- from publisher's web site.Alex is determined to get to the bottom of her sister's disappearance,but is she prepared for what she might find?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,304,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible