DogFish by Gillian Shields

DogFish (2008)

by Gillian Shields

The little boy in the book wants a pet dog very badly, but he just can't get one. So instead, he gets a pet goldfish and it becomes his best friend that can fetch sticks and go on walks with him just like any dog could do. The theme of this book is to appreciate what you have and make good with it! Cute and funny! ( )
  smdorr | Sep 6, 2012 |
"DogFish" tell the story of a boy who wants a dog, but all he has is a fish. He begs his mom for a dog, and she explains why they can't get a dog: they live on the 44th floor, it will be bored while he is at school, it will eat too much. The mother tells him to "try to want what you have." So he learns to love his fish.
The illustrations are very cute in this book. They are round and colorful and fun. The pictures are very cartoon-like and support the text by showing exactly what the narrator is saying in the text. The illustrations are also humorous, which supports the text as well. Often the text will say: "These are our sad looks" and the picture shows a sad little boy and a sad goldfish. Overall, a very cute story that teaches kids to be happy with what they have. ( )
  cnolasco | Jul 7, 2010 |
As a lifetime apartment dweller, I loved the storyline about a boy on the 44th floor who has a fish yet wants a dog. I was delighted that at the end, the little boy worked to creatively turn his fish into the type of pet he really wanted (rather than simply replacing the fish with a dog). It is the beautiful illustrations that make this book a real standout; I will definitely keep my eye out for other books by this author/illustrator combination. Highly recommended! ( )
  ForeignCircus | Jan 26, 2009 |
For my darling son Gabriel, king of the hypnotizing eyes...I LOVE YOU - G.S.
For Mum, Dad, Lee, Claire, and Andrew - D.T.
Everyone has a dog...except me.

When a boy is not allowed to have a dog, he teaches his fish to do the things he wanted a dog to do.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,025,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible