Faith, Hope, and Ivy June by Phyllis…

Faith, Hope, and Ivy June

by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

This book is an example of a post modernism work. Both girls in the exchange program share in their journals so as a reader you are given two perspectives. In some ways I could relate to Catherine, nice house, healthy family and yet on the other hand, growing up on a farm where my house was near my grandparents and my days on the farm included enjoying the outdoors, I could understand Ivy June.
Curricular Connections:
This is a terrific read for a book club with young girls.
  JulieBFEL | Jan 27, 2016 |
This could have been a great story, but it was so out of touch with kids today. I seriously thought it was set in the 50's or 60's until about a quarter of the way through when it mentioned cell phones. Though it is supposed to be set in extremely remote small towns in the midwest, I still don't think teenagers say things like "that's swell" or "she's a cut up". Unfortunately this just annoyed me so much I couldn't fully appreciate the story. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Two girls from very different backgrounds participate in an exchange program where they get to spend a few weeks at the other's house. Will their differences tear them apart, or will they find out that they are more alike than they thought? ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
Friendship is a strong word. Trust even stronger, especially when you are trusting someone you have only known for a month. In the fiction book Faith, Hope, and Ivy June by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor two girls spend a month together in a student exchange program. They allow each other to spend two weeks at each others houses and go with them to school. Ivy June Mosley, a girl from the country, spends a month with Catherine combs, a high class city girl. They go through many exciting, horrific, and heart stopping events.
In the beginning of the program Ivy June is welcomed into Catherines mansion like home out in the valley. Catherines house in Lexington is enormous compared to what Ivy is used to. This marks the date when Ivy begins her two week adventure with Catherine's loving family. Catherine gets plenty of enjoyment out of doing Ivy June’s hair and making her like a true valley girl. Each day catherine’s friends adore Ivy, and treat her like she is from a different planet. Ivy is astonished how Communities can be so different. She never knew anyone lived so elegantly. Ivy June was under the impression that Everyone lived like her. Each day that went by Ivy and Catherine learned that as much as they were different they had some traits to make them alike. After an amazing week in Lexington The landscape quickly changes when the girls are sent to Ivy's house in the rural appalachia. Catherine is at a loss for words when she sees how Ivy June lives. Ivy June’s family is just barely making it money wise. After a few days of living with Ivy’s poor family Catherine receives a terrible phone call. She demands to go home, but her father refuses to let her. Moving on from that was hard but Catherine did. Later that week is when Ivy June gets her turn with bad luck. What happens in Ivys family is absolutely horrific. As all these things are happening Ivy and Catherine are beginning to realize how alike they are. This month has brought them closer than they ever imagined. No one would have thought that two totally people, lifestyle wise, would have such a strong connection.
I would definitely recommend this book who is interested in the act of friendship. This book truly makes you feel like apart of everything the girls go through . Through out the plot there were many events that were full of so much emotion. In each and every Action in the book the author made the reader feel very connected. This book has so many great elements. This is definitely a book everyone should read. ( )
  AnBr14 | Oct 15, 2014 |
March 6 - They'll probably be polite - crisp as a soda cracker on the outside, hard as day-old biscuit underneath. Papaw says not to prejudice my heart before I've got there. But Miss Dixon says to write down what we think so we can compare it with what we feel after.

During a student exchange program, seventh-graders Ivy June and Catherine share their lives, homes, and communities, and find that although their lifestyles are total opposites they have a lot in common.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,118,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible