Written on Your Skin by Meredith Duran

Written on Your Skin

by Meredith Duran

201558,418 (3.83)4

Overall, this was a good book, but I find it really hard to rate. I had some difficulty reading it and especially the heroine was hard to relate to for me. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
A huge disappointment after Ms Duran's magnificent [b:The Duke of Shadows|3112394|The Duke of Shadows|Meredith Duran|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1267785052s/3112394.jpg|3143676] and the slightly more orthodox but still enjoyable [b:Bound by Your Touch|5841513|Bound by Your Touch|Meredith Duran|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1267857244s/5841513.jpg|6013653].

Fifty pages into the paperback edition of this book I gave up and put it aside. A few weeks later I decided to try again, starting from the beginning as I'd already forgotten the convoluted and confusing start to the book. The second time around I managed to finish it, but only by reading 20-30 pages at a time and then taking a break for a day or two.

The cover of the paperback edition claims that this is the 'dazzling sequel to [b:Bound by Your Touch|5841513|Bound by Your Touch|Meredith Duran|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1267857244s/5841513.jpg|6013653]'. It's not. Some of the characters in [b:Written on Your Skin|5841535|Written on Your Skin|Meredith Duran|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1304382832s/5841535.jpg|6013675] appear in the earlier book, and vice versa, but only someone who's read both books and paid attention will note that the timelines are parallel, with just a couple of anchor points to bring the narratives into offset alignment.

[b:Written on Your Skin|5841535|Written on Your Skin|Meredith Duran|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1304382832s/5841535.jpg|6013675] was depressingly gloomy. I couldn't relate to either of the two main characters, and presumably neither could the artist who designed the cover of the paperback, the two models bearing no resemblance whatsoever to the characters in the book.

The main narrative is about spy versus spy, bluff and counter-bluff, guess and second guess, and find-the-traitor. In many ways it reminded me of some of the Cold War thrillers written in the 60s and 70s.

Ms Duran tries too hard to justify and explain the actions and emotions of Phin and Mina, and ends up weaving a tangled web of tediously recriminating dialogues, both internal and external, and ponderous narrator expositions.

The ending was a letdown and reminded me of several promising TV series that had to be wrapped up in a hurry because of the Writers Guild strike of 2007-2008. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
The plotline certainly sounded like it should have been better, but I longed for less analysis and more romance!

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2011/02/written-on-your-skin-by-meredith-duran.html ( )
  ktleyed | Feb 8, 2011 |
Hong Kong, 1880 - Mina saves the life of Phin, an English spy, and he rewards her by leaving her behind. Four years later she needs his help - her mother has vanished, presumably kidnapped by her wicked stepfather - the man Phin was investigating in the first place.

I liked this a bit more than Bound by your touch, I think. I liked Mina - I really like the smart girl pretending to be stupid trope, for some reason. However, like Bound, I felt I was missing a lot of backstory about the characters and their lives.
  alasen_reads | Dec 30, 2009 |
Trouble walked in around midnight.

THE SOCIETY BEAUTY WHO SAVED HIS LIFE ...

Beauty, charm, wealthy admirers: Mina Masters enjoys every luxury but freedom. To save herself from an unwanted marriage, she turns her wiles on a darkly handsome stranger. But Mina's would be hero is playing his own deceptive game. A British spy, Phin Granville has no interest in emotional entanglements ... until the night Mina saves his life by gambling her own.

THE JADED SPY WHO VOWED TO FORGET HER ...

IN LIVES BUILT ON LIES, LOVE IS THE DARKEST SECRET OF ALL ...
Deception has ruled Mina's life just as it has Phin's. But as the beauty and the spy match wits in a dangerous dance, their practiced masks begin to slip, revealing a perilous attraction. And the greatest threat they face may not be traitors or murderous conspiracies, but their own dark desires ...

"Beauty, charm, wealthy admirers: Mina Masters enjoys every luxury but freedom. To save herself from an unwanted marriage, she turns her wiles on a darkly handsome stranger. But Mina's would-be hero is playing his own deceptive game. A British spy, Phin Granville has no interest in emotional entanglements...until the night Mina saves his life by gambling her own. Four years later, Phin inherits a title that frees him from the bloody game of espionage. But memories of the woman who saved him won't let Phin go. When he learns that Mina needs his aid, honor forces him back into the world of his nightmares. Deception has ruled Mina's life just as it has Phin's. But as the beauty and the spy match wits in a dangerous dance, their practiced masks begin to slip, revealing a perilous attraction. And the greatest threat they face may not be traitors or murderous conspiracies, but their own dark desires...."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,748,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible