The Stones of Green Knowe by Lucy M. Boston

The Stones of Green Knowe (original 1976; edition 2003)

by Lucy M. Boston, Peter Boston (Illustrator)

While eagerly following each stage of the new stone manor house his father is building to replace their old wooden Saxon hall, a young boy, part Saxon and part Norman, becomes involved with ancient magic that carries him through time.
Member:konallis
Title:The Stones of Green Knowe
Authors:Lucy M. Boston
Other authors:Peter Boston (Illustrator)
Info:Oldknow Books (2003), Paperback, 128 pages
Tags:children's/young adult, fantasy, historical fantasy, time travel, read 2012

The Stones of Green Knowe by L. M. Boston (1976)

The last in the "Green Knowe" series takes us back to the very beginning of the story, to half-Norman, half-Saxon Roger, who sees Green Knowe being built and becomes the first boy to live there and to love the place. Later he finds a pair of ancient, chair-like stones in a nearby wood, which prove to have magical properties, enabling him to travel back and forth in time and check on Green Knowe's safety in the future. This allows him to meet the children (or most of them) from the earlier books, although he's frightened and horrified by Tolly's 20th century world – with reason, as the book ends with an act of heartwrenching vandalism. ( )
  phoebesmum | Jun 6, 2010 |
My least favourite Green Knowe book, to me it reads like the afterthought it is in the timeline of the series. Told from the point of view of one of the "others", Roger, the first boy to live at Green Knowe somehow I don't quite feel the mystery and magic in this one. Enjoyable but not quite up to the standard of the previous books. ( )
  Figgles | Nov 1, 2009 |
Set at the Manor of Hemingford Grey
Diana Boston, daughter-in-law gives tours with prior arrangement
  fordbarbara | Oct 20, 2009 |
I am so glad that L.M. Boston came back twelve years later to finish the series with The Stones at Green Knowe. This again has the playful, magical feel that the first three books had, and I loved how it brought all the series together. It takes place in the years just after the Norman conquest, as young Roger d’Aulneaux watches his father building a grand manor house, to be called Green Knowe. He wonders about the children who will live in it after him. When he discovers a set of stones that take him backwards and forwards in time, he is able to meet Toby, Alexander, and Linnet; Susan; and Tolly and Mrs. Oldknow. This was again light-hearted and I loved how it made various points in history come alive.

Thoughts on the entire series on my blog
3 vote rebeccareid | Jun 8, 2009 |

L. M. Bostonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boston, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For almost a year already Roger had watched the thick stone walls of the new house going up.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,719,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible