Under The Jolly Roger: Being an Account of…

Under The Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures…

by L. A. Meyer

Series: Bloody Jack Adventures (3)

3.5 stars. Not quite as good at the first, but still an enjoyable read. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This review contains spoilers for previous books in the series.

After her boarding school in Boston burned to the ground, Jacky joins up with a whaling ship and returns to England to find her true love, Jaimy. Unfortunately, when she finally tracks him down he’s holding the hand of another girl; broken-hearted Jacky flees before Jaimy can introduce her to his cousin. Before she has a chance to consider her next move, Jacky is pressganged onto another ship, the captain of which is both cruel and not quite sane. Once he realizes Jacky is a girl, he decides that she should join him in the captain’s quarters. Horrified, Jacky is in a truly desperate situation – until a brilliant stroke of luck gives her the chance to take command of the ship and start over as a pirate, taking booty from any ship that crosses her path!

I just love Jacky Faber. She’s impulsive and reckless, but clever and so very lucky. She’s constantly plunging into new adventures, and it’s so much fun. The series becomes a bit meta in this volume; when Jacky arrives in London at the beginning of the story, she learns that her old friend Amy Trevelyne, a classmate at the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls, has written a book called Bloody Jack, Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary “Jacky” Faber, Ship’s Boy - which was the full title of the first book in the series. It’s apparently quite popular, and Jacky’s escapades are known all over town – which does make it a wee bit harder for her to get up to her usual trouble. It’ll be interesting to see if Meyer carries this through the rest of the series, so that the other novels will slowly pop up in Jacky’s universe.

It’s been interesting to trace Jacky’s relationship with Jaimy, especially through the events of this novel. They obviously adore each other, but I wonder if they still will once they finally get a chance to spend some time together. Jaimy seems to grow increasingly prissy and stuffy with each volume; when he writes letters to Jacky in Under the Jolly Roger, he always seems to be writing to the girl that could have been if Jacky had grown up in a normal, middle-class household. He seems to think that the Jacky who wishes to own her ships and travel the world as a merchant of fine goods will somehow morph into a perfectly normal wife. Jacky isn’t much better. Although I think she’s more aware than Jaimy of how divergent their goals are, she’s also much sillier because she ends the relationship over one little incident – a misunderstanding, as she finds out much later – and doesn’t allow her true love the chance to explain himself. It’s even funnier, this double standard she holds him to, because Jacky isn’t exactly faithful in the strictest sense. She has no trouble with flirting and even a bit of snogging if it’ll help her get what she wants. They’re just such a bad couple, and I’m always wondering which of them will finally realize this and break it off for real.

Also, piracy! Taking plunder! What’s not to love?

I can’t wait for Jacky’s next adventure. I’ve been listening to the series as audio, narrated by Katherine Kellgren – and I must say, if you’ve never given audiobooks a try, this just might be the series to do it with. She does an amazing job, singing sea shanties and giving Jacky a flamboyant bounce to her narration. ( )
  makaiju | May 5, 2013 |
I read the first two in the series and listened to this one and by george the narrator did a good job. Great voices, good pacing. When I read the first book I liked but I'm slowly growing to love Jacky. She's a great female character in an interesting historical time period. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
Jacky Faber finds herself working for the Royal Navy again after being mistakenly pressed into service. The ship she finds herself on is in bad shape, with a sick, evil captain who reigns with an iron fist and who has let his boat and his crew get into bad shape. Nothing can keep Jacky down for long though and she's soon making friends and plans in equal measure.

I cannot express how much I love listening to Katherine Kellgren narrate this series. She doesn't hold anything back and narrates in a larger-than-life tone that is completely in keeping with Jacky's character. Kellgren sounds like she is having the time of her life reading these books and that makes me love them all the more.

I would love them anyway because Jacky is such a great character. Why do we tend to love girls who dress up as boys and live the life they want? I probably just answered my own question. She's loyal and fierce and sly and intelligent and greedy and too big for her britches. She's a big mess of contradictions and that makes her feel so darn real.

My one complaint about this book is that we have to travel down the road of an older man trying to prey on attractive young Jacky again. It's a different man, but, really. Teenage girls of any era do have things to worry about other than lecherous old men trying to have their way with them. It didn't take up as much of the book as I was afraid it would but as soon as it came up I rolled my eyes and thought, "Here we go again."

Jaimy is starting to get on my nerves too. He's as fussy and as much of a stickler for the rules as a prissy old maid. I forget what Jacky see in him. He only sees the woman that Jacky could have been if her early years had been different, not the impetuous, ambitious ragamuffin that she actually is.

Other than that, this book was full of adventure, drama, suspense, and laughs. It is everything that a good story should be.

This series is a blast and girls who can see the appeal of living life on your own terms will love it. I highly, highly recommend trying it out on audio. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
Listened to the Listen and Live audio edition narrated by the fabulous Katherine Kellgren.

So, this has three parts and actually feels like two books. The first part is a complete story in and of itself and parts 2 and 3 comprise a story. The first half gets 5 stars from me, but the second half isn't quite as good - the plot isn't nearly as tightly written and meanders about. I like that Jacky is a fully drawn character - she's not perfect and clearly has several faults that trip her up over and over again. I do think it's awfully convenient that men (and boys) just seem to keep falling in love with her all over the place. Overall an excellent addition to Jacky's adventures and Kellgren just seems to keep getting better and better. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |

L. A. Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152058737, Paperback)

After leaving the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls in Boston—under dire circumstances, of course—Jacky Faber boards a whaling ship bound for London, where she hopes to find her beloved Jaimy. But things don’t go as planned, and soon Jacky is off on a wild misadventure at sea.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:50 -0400)

In 1804, fifteen-year-old Jacky Faber heads back to sea where she gains control of a British warship and eventually becomes a privateer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible