The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle

The Grouchy Ladybug (original 1977; edition 1996)

by Eric Carle

3,000None1,898 (4.06)4
Member:markauch
Title:The Grouchy Ladybug
Authors:Eric Carle
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Paperback, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:children's books, math/time

The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle (1977)

animal characters (19) animals (154) behavior (29) board book (43) bugs (119) Carle (35) children (50) children's (75) children's literature (23) clocks (35) emotions (54) Eric Carle (204) fantasy (29) feelings (111) fiction (140) fighting (18) friendship (38) grouchy (35) insects (218) J (21) ladybug (67) ladybugs (150) manners (65) mathematics (104) picture book (191) sharing (43) size (23) Spanish (23) telling time (77) time (261)

This story is a wonderful story. The perspective of the grouchy lady bug forces the reader to explore her journey with her, and the predictability of the book is confirmed when the grouchy lady bug is smacked so hard by the tail fin of the whale that it sends her across the ocean. The plot of this story is interesting because there is an introduction, a clear problem, and a simple solution at the end where the grouchy ladybug revisits the friendly ladybug. “’Ahh, here you are again,’ said the friendly ladybug. ‘You must be hungry. There are still some aphids left. You can have them for dinner.’” There are a lot of messages in this story, but the big idea is to be able to share. ( )
  kbrash1 | Mar 17, 2014 |
This story follows a grouchy ladybug around for one day. It teaches time and sequencing as well as animals which is why I would read this to elementary students. ( )
  afussell | Nov 27, 2013 |
"The Grouchy Ladybug" is a cute story by famous children's author Eric Carle. It tells the story of a friendly ladybug and a grouchy one that bump heads when they want to both eat the same aphids. The grouchy ladybug leaves angrily and runs into numerous animals looking to pick a fight. After a long, tiresome day the grouchy ladybug makes its way back to where the friendly one is exhausted and relieved to find some aphids left that the friendly ladybug is willing to share. I think the central message is that being grumpy and unkind gets you nowhere in life. The grouchy ladybug finally realizes that and decides to change for the better. Overall, I felt this story had a good message and most children would probably enjoy it. I particularly liked the ending where the grouchy ladybug was dealt a dose of much needed humility. ( )
  gsmith3 | Nov 4, 2013 |
I really enjoyed Eric Carle's story, The Grouchy Ladybug. One thing I thought was interesting was how the author used his illustrations to portray the passing off time. On each page in the book there is a clock in the top right corner. As the grouchy ladybug talks to all the different animals you can see that the day is passing him by because the hands on the clock are moving. I also like how the author uses text and illustrations to enhance the story. Each new animal that the grouchy ladybug encounters is bigger than the one before and he shows this by enlarging the text each time and making the illustrations take up more space on the page. The big ideas of this story are the importance of being kind and polite, and knowing how to share. ( )
  acasca1 | Oct 15, 2013 |
I have always enjoyed this book and it has been one of my favorite books since I was a little girl. I like this books illustrations because they are really neat looking and they have a lot going on just on one page! For example, as the pages go on, the ladybug gets smaller and the other animals get larger. The illustrator does this because even though the grouchy ladybug is saying that these animals aren’t big enough anyways, they really are much larger than her. Each page also has a clock in the top corner that relates to the time on the page. So, if the clock shows 8 o’clock, the page says, “At eight o’clock it came across…” This can help teach children many lessons, including how to tell time. I also liked how this book had multiple meanings and lessons that children can learn. For example, telling time, emotions, manners, and about ladybugs. I think the main idea in this book was to stay positive and friendly because it is a much better outlook on life. ( )
  abreid1 | Oct 7, 2013 |
Aphids are very small insects. They suck the juice from leaves, and then the leaves die. Ladybugs eat aphids. That's good for trees, shrubs, and other plants that have leaves. To the ladybugs I have dedicated this book. Three cheers for them!
It was night and some fireflies danced around the moon.

Der kleine Käfer Immerfrech ist ein ziemliches Großmaul, denn er fordert alle Tiere, denen er begegnet, zum Kampf heraus - bis ein riesiger Wal ihm eine Lektion erteilt, die er nicht so schnell vergessen wird. Ein lustiges und durchaus lehrreiches Bilderbuch, mit dem jedes Kind auch ganz leicht die Uhrzeit lesen lernt.

It's the Grouchy Ladybug's 20th birthday. To celebrate, we are introducing a new, larger format edition with brighter, more colorful pages created from Eric Carle's original artwork using the latest reproduction technology. The Grouchy Ladybug is bigger and brigher, as irascible but irresistable as ever and will surely delight new generations of readers, as well as her devoted fans of all ages. Happy Birthday, Grouchy Ladybug!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:09 -0400)

A grouchy ladybug, looking for a fight, challenges everyone she meets regardless of their size or strength.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014138350X, 0141332034

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible