Uranium: War, Energy, and the Rock That…

Uranium: War, Energy, and the Rock That Shaped the World (edition 2010)

by Tom Zoellner (Author)

The fascinating story of the most powerful source of energy the earth can yield. Uranium is a common element in the earth's crust, and the only naturally occurring mineral with the power to end all life on the planet. After World War II, it reshaped the global order. Marie Curie gave us hope that uranium would be a miracle panacea, but the Manhattan Project gave us reason to believe that civilization would end with apocalypse. Slave labor camps in Africa and Eastern Europe were built around mine shafts, and America would knowingly send more than 600 uranium miners to their graves in the name of national security. Fortunes have been made from this yellow dirt; massive energy grids have been run from it. Fear of it panicked the American people into supporting a questionable war with Iraq and its specter threatens to create another conflict in Iran. Now, some are hoping it can help avoid a global warming catastrophe.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:mfagan
Title:Uranium: War, Energy, and the Rock That Shaped the World
Authors:Tom Zoellner (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2010), 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Uranium: War, Energy and the Rock That Shaped the World by Tom Zoellner

Interesting history of uranium. Well written an easy read. I reviewed it at http://sciencetechbooks.suite101.com/article.cfm/uranium_book_review ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Marvelous and highly informative. Enjoyable from the first page to the last. ( )
  PatrickMurtha | Feb 5, 2016 |
This was an interesting review of the history of man's journey with a very peculiar rock. Fairly well written, though, at times, the author seemed to get a bit far afield of the topic. ( )
  addunn3 | Oct 23, 2015 |
Very informative book that covered the history, uses, and present status of uranium. Some of the information seemed on the borderline of classified. It is also concerning that there is such a significant amount of enriched u-235, which is sometimes not well guarded or accounted for. I recommend the book for a better understanding of our current status and how we got here. ( )
  GlennBell | Jan 28, 2014 |
This book is surprisingly light on the science of uranium or radioactivity, covering the necessary basics as quickly as possible with the help of a few uninspired metaphors. I found that a little disappointing, although I suspect that for many readers it's likely to be a point in favor. Mostly it covers the global political and economic impact of uranium, and of the bombs and power plants it's used for. The result is a little unfocused, drifting around from topic to topic, and there are certainly better and more thorough treatments of subjects like the the Manhattan Project. But it does also cover a lot of ground that was both interesting and new to me, including considerable (and often rather shocking) details about uranium mining, which ultimately made it a worthwhile read. ( )
  bragan | Apr 10, 2013 |
While there is much attention paid to the United States, the coverage is very uneven. We learn about exploration and mining in Australia, Soviet work camps in Eastern Europe, the efforts of Iran and Iraq, Israel and Pakistan's nuclear programs and a couple others. But crucial players in nuclear power are largely ignored, such as the United Kingdom and France. And the Soviet Union, a major player in the world when it comes to nuclear arms, gets little play. This is despite the fact that the nuclear arms race between the USSR and the United States entirely shaped our modern world and many people's understanding of nuclear capabilities.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Andrew Liptak (Apr 29, 2009)

Tom Zoellnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zoellner, Tommain authorall editionsconfirmed

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible