Laundry by Suzane Adam

Laundry

by Suzane Adam

204515,329 (4.2)11
    The Stranger Next Door by Amélie Nothomb (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both of these books have creepy beginnings that make them page-turning un-put-downables.
    Tongue by Kyung-Ran Jo (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: I'd recommend this book because of the tight writing and sheer creepiness of the story. Reading Laundry brought this book to my mind again.

This is a book about a woman who grows up in Transylvania, with a mild case of epilepsy. The start of the book hints at something gone wrong but all we have is an almost catatonic woman hugging herself on a couch.

Then she decides to share her story with her bewildered husband, and we learn of events in her childhood and her family dynamics that have shaped her character all through life in Transylvania to life in Israel where her family moved when she was about 8 years old.

It's hard to review this without giving too much away, but I think I'll have to just say that it's a good look at how things can remain hidden, even in families who think that they share everything and have close bonds.

I really liked this even though there were a few points in the book that disturbed me. All in all, I'd have to give this 4 stars because after the first quarter of the book, I was reluctant to put it down...... and I know I may be in the minority, but I did like the way it ended. ( )
  cameling | Jun 27, 2010 |
I am not sure that I agree that this is a psychological thriller. I would more likely call this a book about mental illness, but, maybe they are one and the same! I would have given this book 5 stars except I hated the beginning. I threw it on my bedroom floor and said that it was disgusting. I got mad at myself and picked it back up. I am so glad that I did that.

It is scary how events can change our lives. I don't like to write about the story line because I hate spoilers in reviews. I prefer to write how I feel while I read a book. This isn't a long book and flows nicely. I think it was very well done. I always wonder why kids keep secrets and this book helped explain the reason why. I would have preferred a more definitive ending... It was a great read!

It's a little hard to find, but you can find it by ISBN number 978-0-975444-7-4 ( )
  LASMIT | Jun 19, 2010 |
If you like being creeped out by a book, here’s one not to be missed. Oddly enough, I found the most uncomfortable parts of this book right at the beginning. Keep in mind that this is not a book for the super sensitive. The story starts off a little vague on purpose. We are introduced to a character and a situation that is totally out of control, but we don’t know why. The setting is a moshav in Israel.

Confused at first, I soon grew to realize that each chapter was both describing the main character and having her tell her story in her own words. It’s not clear to whom she is talking in the beginning, but that’s done purposely. Like peeling an onion, layer after layer is removed, until we can see this story’s direction. At least we think we can, but that’s not totally accurate. The truth of the matter is that this un-put-downable book keeps the reader hungering for more information straight through to its end.

It’s a short book so it moves very quickly. Originally written in Hebrew, my book is the English translation. I love that the translator opts to keep some untranslated words in the book that were purely Hebrew and Hungarian expressions. That adds fun local flavor to the story. Like the main character in this book, the author is also from Transylvania (strange that I just finished reading Dracula, isn’t it?), so she adds a bit of superstition from that part of the world to the story’s undertone. I don’t want to give away too much because the fun of reading it is in the not knowing what’s to come. It’s a wild and crazy ride, so give it a try! ( )
14 vote SqueakyChu | Jun 3, 2010 |
This is a very creepy, creepy, creepy story. Creepy! It’s described as a thriller and, although it’s completely devoid of the spies or political intrigue normally featured in a thriller, it’s still a very apt description. Thrilling indeed. Stomach-churning thrilling.

The tension is helped (or made worse, depending how you look at it) by the fact that the story starts at the end when we find out that something terrible has happened. What that terrible event is, we only find out at the same slow rate the narrator finds out as his wife, Ildiko, relate the traumatic event that has shaped her life.

Once you start reading this, it’ll be hard to put it down before the end, if only so that you can get to the resolution and so that your tensed-up stomach-muscles can relax.

More ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 10, 2009 |

In 1960s Transylvania where the novel begins, five-year-old Ildiko becomes victim to psychological abuse at the hands of her babysitter, Yutzi, whom she worships and follows everywhere. Though Ildiko’s family immigrates to Israel soon after, Ildiko’s life continues to be shaped by the secret deep within her; not until many years later is Ildiko able to reveal her story. In flashback fashion, she recounts her horror to her worried husband, who at the novel’s start is nearly hysterical with worry about a recent mysterious and possibly violent incident. Only as Ildiko’s story unfolds—and with it the parallel stories of her family and her husband—do readers come to understand what has taken place and how Ildiko’s story has come full circle. This psychological thriller focuses on family relationships and the aftermath of childhood trauma, and although not a novel specifically of the Holocaust, the narrative is driven by characters whose lives were shaped by it, so much so that those events become a silent character in the book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible