Just An Average Kid From Iowa: A Journey of…

Just An Average Kid From Iowa: A Journey of Faith (2008)

by Gordon Sorenson

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added bySCRH

If the title makes you think you may be reading a vanilla – and boring – book because it's about an “average kid,” you will be making an above average mistake.

Now I must clarify from the outset that I know the author, Gordon Sorenson, his wife, Betty, and many of the people named in this wonderful autobiography about an “average kid.” I graduated from the same high school and college. At the same time, I need to point out that I'm a few years younger, and while I first met Gordie and Betty in college, we really didn't know each other much beyond a sheer recognition level.

When, through a mutual friend I learned of Gordie's book, I knew I had to have a copy, so that very day, I called him to buy one. Wouldn't you know, I interrupted him in the middle of the chore of busting up concrete! Within a couple days, the 324 page book, with a beautifully designed cover (by his daughter Sherry Paavola), was in my hands. It seemed to shout at me, READ ME NOW. So, I put down the book I had just started and began to read the story of Just An Average Kid From Iowa: A Journey of Faith. As the cliché goes, “I could hardly put it down.”

I read autobiographies and biographies to learn and to be inspired. This book gets high marks for both. The author has a knack for being able to describe what some may think of as mundane (dare I say “average”!) events or situations in such a way as to make them interesting, exciting, and even stimulating.

The well-planned, balanced, and fast-paced book includes 36 chapters that are roughly the same length. They are really “scenes” in the author's “journey of faith.” Through these scenes, the author reveals his life and the role that faith has in it. In spite of the fact that the author is a preacher, the reader does sense being “preached to,” but senses being a guest looking on, or even standing alongside the author, as he reveals the life of this “kid from Iowa.” The journey is not average at all.

Storm Lake, Iowa, San Gabriel and Los Angeles, California, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Hickory Corners, Wisconsin, Liscomb, Fort Dodge, and Webster City, Iowa, Show Low, Arizona, Rochester, Minnesota, Hancock, Michigan, West Concord, Minnesota, and Tomball, Texas are just a few of the stops on the journey. Storm Lake High School and Minnesota Bible College in Minneapolis (now Crossroads College in Rochester, Minnesota), institutions from which the author graduated, are extensively discussed. Numerous people are named, and how God clearly blessed this “journey of faith” is wonderfully described.

The book is enhanced by the inclusion of many photos. While there is no index the table of contents helps one to navigate the book.

Persons wanting to “learn” and to “be inspired” will benefit from reading this book. The book may be obtained by contacting the author: Gordon Sorenson, 12 Rolling Glen, Tumball, TX 77375 or by email to hummerrv[at]comcast.net. ( )
1 vote SCRH | Dec 5, 2008 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,160,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible